Solved FTFC20 Classic to Modern Forum Challenge!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Today I have learned(with the Floating Kidney prototype) it is possible to funnel a fixed wing plane like a quad. Up funnel would be hard and require a big powerplant, but down funnel is natural from bleeding momentum and thrust on successive 360 turns.

Corbarrad

I think this would be the biggest balsa conversion of the contest - don't recall any others stating intention to stay with one that big! Maybe that Flite Test Monster Foam will be out in time to help with your build too... :unsure:

The Electra is pretty light (before you lap that 7 cell NiCad in that is).
If I remember right the spars on the original wing were mostly balsa with a little bit of ply reinforcement in the middle, so I hope I'll be able to get away with maybe some 1.5 mm plywood shear webbing on the inner wing panels. If that doesn't hold I'll downscale to 60" and then we're in more comfortable ft simple soarer or ft explorerdimensions...

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've decided on my next entry, and I'll be prototyping soon. got a pretty good rough sketch, gonna get exact dimensions laid out and sketch up templates on graph paper. I originally wanted to do the "Mooncrest" biplane, but found a more practical one where I like the fuselage and wing design better. This one's called the "Double Decker", and will make a great pusher.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10450
1565373732027.png

1565373766229.png

Vimana89

Legendary member
I drew up some graph paper templates I need to convert to hard copies from cardboard, poster board, or spare foam. The double decker will be a small bird with and 18" wing span that can be built from one sheet. I drew up a nose for the flying kidney that took longer than all the double decker because I wanted it just right to replicate the original glider's nose as close as possible while being functional on a motorized foamy. It will be an A fold full box, but the rest of the wing will still just have a spine reinforcing it, as the original glider had no fuselage, just a wing and nose.

Attachments

• IMG_0986.JPG
    IMG_0986.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Just so happens motor mount busted off the kidney. Rest of its in pretty good shape so instead of a full rebuild, I'm just going to build the new nose and retrofit the prototype to test it.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Just so happens motor mount busted off the kidney. Rest of its in pretty good shape so instead of a full rebuild, I'm just going to build the new nose and retrofit the prototype to test it.
At least you don’t need to look for a kidney donor for a transplant...
Also, how does the kidney handle in high alpha? Is it like a nutball?

Vimana89

Legendary member
At least you don’t need to look for a kidney donor for a transplant...
Also, how does the kidney handle in high alpha? Is it like a nutball?
I never got used to a standard Nutball back in the day to know. I should build one with my skill now sometime for science! I've played with my tailed Nutball and this Kidney and yes, it does high alpha. Does nice high alpha stalls, cobras, can hover around a bush a bit then pull up. I may have to get used to it more, but I wouldn't call it stable or maneuverable on high alpha. It can do a good steep high alpha but wouldn't try to turn or maneuver much while maintaining it. Smaller root than a regular nut and no godlike twin vortex to keep it rock steady in high angles of attack like my Sliver.

Vimana89

Legendary member
It's very maneuverable in turns and does drifting tight 360s no prob. Even "funnels" somewhat. Like I said, have to try a standard nut again, this is pretty darn close. The differences are subtle and nuanced. It also has an even lighter wing loading than a regular nut of the same wingspan cause more surface area.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Got sidetracked by some stuff and didn't feel up to finishing my build last night. Picked up this morning and got it done. Waiting for enough of a gap in the wind to test, if not, then tomorrow. Looks good and CG went from tail heavy with a 1300 to a bit nose heavy with an 850. Thrust tests feel alright it's not pulling weird from what I can tell. I left most of the old wiring on top still till further testing. My hatch closes with Velcro because I find skewer holes annoying.

Attachments

• IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0995.JPG
    IMG_0995.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0998.JPG
    IMG_0998.JPG
  • IMG_0999.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG
  • IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
  • IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG

Vimana89

Legendary member
I got just enough gap in the wind to flight test. Still some breeze. Didn't bother to record, more to bring, think about, etc. specially with the wind-wanted it to just be me and the plane no distractions. Everything went well👍, the plane flew, and is a tiny bit nose heavy, and dips a bit. A bit of sub trim will fix this. That being said it wasn't a bad thing really, as I noticed a bit better stability and noticeably better penetration. Winds got a bit rough but landed smooth, the new nose makes for a stable landing and keeps the prop a bit more off the ground than the quick and dirty mount. Not to mention the plane looks gorgeous and much more like the original. Here it is after landing, will get video on a nice day to fly.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Horseman3381
Martian Space Ship
FTFC20 Martian Space Ship designed by Horseman3381

View attachment 138823
View attachment 138824

I picked this plane during a discussion with some older members of my flying club where I asked them what they thought I should build. When a 92 year old club member says he would love to see one of these fly again, it's hard to say no. Plus it is ridicules enough to be right up my alley.
Was waiting for somebody to actually pick this one! So much yes to this, I'm interested to see how it will fly as a foamy. I love these weird ones.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've brought another sack of gems from the Outerzone mine to share. Maybe these will inspire more people to get in or somebody to pick up another build.

UFO(this ones a crazy delta) Good looking bird though!
1565488965583.png

They have a Saab Draken and tons of other sweet cold war jets if you search by name

1565489203748.png

Saab Safari. This ones kinda tubby with a very interesting wing that seems just a tiny bit swept forward. It definitely has some character.

1565489298252.png

Buzzard. This is a cool forward swept glider that would probably motorize well.
1565489373351.png

Attachments

• 1565489149902.png
    1565489149902.png
    296.7 KB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Awesome to see a whole bunch more people joining in the challenge, both new and returning friends from previous challenges! :D