Solved FTFC20 Classic to Modern Forum Challenge!

JTarmstr

Elite member
@Vimana89 The de Havilland sea vixen is a similar design configuration, I'm pretty sure it flew just fine.

Jamie-Ewan-Fly-Navy-Heritage-De-Havilland-DH110-Sea-Vixen-FAW-Mk.II-XP924-134-E-G-CVIX-Yeovilton-Air-Day-2016-3-1200x800.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
I drew up a quick sketch of how I'd do the prototype. I haven't even mastered KFM yet and I have a particular way the wing is reinforced. It's basically just glueing layers and taping the leading edges to reduce drag. The layer two doubler is a unique shape though I can't replicate with KFM.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I never got my powerup to work that well. How is your experience with it?
The device presents an interesting challenge. it NEEDs to be very light and have dihedral to self correct any balancing instabilities. the dart had a shorter stick so the model needs a short fuse or pusher setup. The rudder control is light... and have had some success, but nothing spectacular (yet). What I like, it is Portable and small. It's easy to pack a roll of tape, a craft knife, and some plates to build on the go. (try it out in a hotel lobby or local ballfield.)

Join me and see what you can pull together.

Does anyone know of model plans for the Burgess-Dunne Float D.8 (flying wing) from 19? I can't find much.

@rockyboy - I'm sure. Does the Burgess Dunne plane qualify if I can't find a Balsa Plan?

Vimana89

Legendary member

Vimana89

Legendary member
Here's a compilation of a bit of flight testing with the prototype Floating Kidney. I've now somewhat gotten used to loops, and this one's got another dead stick landing, but I turn a bit sharp and bleed off a lot of lift towards the end so its a little bumpy but no damage. I have no background in gliders and still getting used to how things handle with no throttle.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Got some sharp blades, colored foam, a few different colors of Vinyl sticker paper, multi colored dollar Velcro, more FT decals coming in the mail as well as some parts. I think it's time to take a crack at a finalized Floating Kidney with an extra nice color scheme, bit more dihedral, cockpit that acts as a handle to pull off and put on the top hatch, and other very minor tweaks. This is not a hard plane to build, so a little extra effort will go a long way and I'll still have the job done in no time.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So many people...so many planes. Had an idea hit me for a future challenge-something about another's shoes or perspective...build and fly a plane designed by another forum member. Not a bad idea? This could be a pretty quick but fun one over a couple months.

I love this idea! :D

RCBuildIdeas

Hi everyone, I don't know if this info has already been shared, but in case you have a Staples store near you, you can get 24" x 36" blueprints printed for a very reasonable price. It's very convenient; you can upload your design and have it printed at a near by store for pickup. It's an alternative to printing 8.5" x 11" sheets and taping together.

Here's a link to more info...

Vimana89

Legendary member
Here is my next and hopefully finished version of the Floating Kidney. It is ready to maiden hopefully tomorrow morning. Anyone who grew up watching the cartoon Dragon Ball Z as a kid...I noticed the random color scheme I was doing started to look a lot like the uniforms they wear on the show, and they have some cool insignias and stuff so I actually ordered a DBZ related decal,that's why the top of the wing is bare of decoration, because I want to use that one, plus a super nice FT decal I don't want to use unless the plane maidens good. I did a clean wiring job with through wiring, receiver is still outside for easy access. Everything is neat and built to(hopefully) last.

If my maiden goes well, the Floating Kidney will be getting this "Capsule Corp" decal from DBZ. I chose this because it's a cool and neutral looking logo, without making the whole theme of my plane a flashy cartoon gimmick. In the show it's used on tech such as planes, space ships, boats, and other vehicles, when those things are even used at all, so it's fitting. Anyone familiar with it will recognize it and anyone else will just think it's just another cool looking logo.
1566101737259.png

And this extra nice 10.5" FT one. I would hate to waste this baby on a junky plane though, so maiden first!

1566101971929.png

Attachments

• IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1013.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Maidened the new Kidney just now. Everything went well, I think it's an improvement. It flies just like the prototype but loops much more effortlessly, has much more noticeable auto leveling, about the same glide ratio, and a tiny bit of Dutch roll here and there because of the steeper dihedrals, but worth. Won't feel bad putting good decals on now that cost more than a buck a piece👍. Will edit maiden footage later.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Besides continuing to polish up the Floating Kidney, record flights, fill in info, and start plans, I will be prototyping another build here soon. I'm going to put the Double Decker on the back burner, because I'm getting bored of RET.I've done it up down and sideways with straight wings, deltas, and Nutball variants. My next plane I work on for this challenge will be 3ch but AET or possibly elevons.

For anyone having trouble finding something or still looking for inspiration, heres some more notable ones from Outerzone.

Blitz
1566157335174.png

Triad
1566157454378.png

F-19
1566157503631.png

Popular Aviation Special 1939

1566157545150.png

Jet Ace
1566157605562.png

Vimana89

Legendary member
If possible, I'd like to change my second entry from the Double Decker Biplane to this; the T-Tray
1566250430528.png

It looks very simple, but what this will allow me to do is expand into ailerons with an easy design, and at the same time, let me start making wings with air foils(new skill to me). I at least want to try a KFM 2 or 3 with this(which will look nice with my colored paper foam), and if that works well, may revisit to practice and test other more complex air foils.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
If possible, I'd like to change my second entry from the Double Decker Biplane to this; the T-Tray
View attachment 140063

It looks very simple, but what this will allow me to do is expand into ailerons with an easy design, and at the same time, let me start making wings with air foils(new skill to me). I at least want to try a KFM 2 or 3 with this(which will look nice with my colored paper foam), and if that works well, may revisit to practice and test other more complex air foils.

Change or add an additional entry? This one looks cool and should go pretty quick!