Solved FTFC20 Classic to Modern Forum Challenge!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I have yet to jump in on this contest, and because I have no experience with balsa builds, I was a little hesitant. That being said, I was also having trouble deciding what to build. After reading a book on WWI Flying Aces, I've made a decision. I'm going to be doing a Master Series build of the venerable Spad XIII!
View attachment 142028

https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=92189

Welcome to the challenge! :D

Don't forget to drop a link to your build thread here too... :)

Corbarrad

I have yet to jump in on this contest, and because I have no experience with balsa builds, I was a little hesitant. That being said, I was also having trouble deciding what to build. After reading a book on WWI Flying Aces, I've made a decision. I'm going to be doing a Master Series build of the venerable Spad XIII!

I've been giving the spad 13 a few long hard looks over the last few years, whenever the Biplane itch needed scratching.
Never got around to build one, though and the itch remains solidly unscratched.
I'll be following your efforts with interest.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
While Trying something, (recording my Computer while I made a plan). I accidentally converted this plane.
FTFC20 Windfreak designed by FoamyDM
003.jpg

basslord1124

Master member
All right, after giving this some thought, I'll join in. The only thing I have done right now is research some planes and make a decision. I have decided to go with the Travel Air Mystery Ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_Air_Type_R_Mystery_Ship

I find it actually very fascinating that only 5 were built. I remembering first seeing it in my Real Flight Simulator...and flying it on the sim is the only experience I have with it. My wife was immediately drawn to it when she had seen it on the sim...being kind of hippie I think she was drawn to the name and the appearance. Honestly, I think it just has a sort of "fat and slow" kinda look to it...very rounded and long fuse. I think even in the simulator it flew surprisingly slow. Which is odd, b/c I am seeing it was more of a racer.

So going to give it a shot. Not just for the challenge, but for my wife since she actually likes this crazy little plane.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
All right, after giving this some thought, I'll join in. The only thing I have done right now is research some planes and make a decision. I have decided to go with the Travel Air Mystery Ship.

I find it actually very fascinating that only 5 were built. I remembering first seeing it in my Real Flight Simulator...and flying it on the sim is the only experience I have with it. My wife was immediately drawn to it when she had seen it on the sim...being kind of hippie I think she was drawn to the name and the appearance. Honestly, I think it just has a sort of "fat and slow" kinda look to it...very rounded and long fuse. I think even in the simulator it flew surprisingly slow. Which is odd, b/c I am seeing it was more of a racer.

So going to give it a shot. Not just for the challenge, but for my wife since she actually likes this crazy little plane.

Welcome aboard! Always loved the look of this plane! :D

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member

Sweet, great choice!

basslord1124

Master member
That is a beautiful looking airplane. Where did you find the balsa wood plans for this airplane?

These are the only plans I have found so far:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7678
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2309

And I have seen some others around I can purchase. If they are affordable enough I may go that route.

I've already created my thread:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ftfc20-travel-air-mystery-ship-by-basslord1124.60278/

JennyC6

Elite member
That'll be unique. I don't think many people have put IC motors on Flite Test foam board. Wouldn't the fuel dissolve the foam?
No! I've already built a few and I'm hardly alone; a guy threw a Cox 0.020 on a Mini Scout at...IIRC FF16?...and yeeted it skyward.

The only side effect FT's waterproof DTFB has when exposed to raw fuel is delamination; even this requires a sizeable spill. Castor schmoo does nothing to it and small spills just sorta flake off. And using the same Rustoleum paints they use anyway, you get a totally fuelproof foamboard.

Nah, the biggest issue with mounting ICE on foamboard planes is getting a firewall chooched in there that won't vibrate itself back out again.

JennyC6

Elite member
That'll be unique. I don't think many people have put IC motors on Flite Test foam board. Wouldn't the fuel dissolve the foam?

Found this while searching for the cox 020 at Flite Fest.

This one's one of mine!

Not the best videography in the world(I had my phone attached to my transmitter and this was my first solo flight so, heh) but this is my FT Commuter flying on Cox power. Next time it flies itt'l have a Norvel 061; I decided the 049 wasn't enough poke when the next two attempts to fly it didn't get very far.

and this is the one that flew at FF16.

and here's a nitro powered Versa wing!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For those who are not following the cheapest design entry!

The 2 versions of the "Little Bit" are about to enter the flight testing phase and the KFM wing version has already flown!

The 2 versions together!
DSCF0037.JPG

I will not be attending FliteFest so anyone wanting to have a cheap and somewhat novel bird to fly there help yourself. Final plans will be available soon!

Have fun!

Vimana89

Legendary member
I also won't be able to attend any in person events. My 1947 Floating Kidney is another super cheap and very novel option for those who want to take a quick and basic yet fun plane. Basically all you need is one sheet(maybe a little extra) of foam and a power pack A. Any fans of the FT Nutball and Flyer will definitely enjoy this one. This is just about on version 1.0 now and done with the prototyping and flight testing phases. I'm ready to start working on plans, the first set of which will be hand drawn on printer paper sheets, to give me some time to possibly attempt to learn to use some type of program and still have something to submit if that goes bad(which it probably will).

Here's the Floating Kidney flying for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Once I have proof of flight on my BD.8 Flying wing - It will be up. See what happened on my first try.
Ouch. I've stayed away from short-coupled tailless airplanes. They always seem tricky to balance and trim. Good luck on your next attempt.

Can you give us amateurs a few pointers from those on the 'RESOURCES' posting Veteran List?
That's why I'm asking. I don't get the purpose of the Resources area. Not something I've found useful yet.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I imagine the idea is a quick go-to area, or repository, for Community builds. Right now you have to look up the plane, and then hunt through them to find a Blog with plans for the plan you like.
This way cuts to the chase.