Solved FTFC20 Classic to Modern Forum Challenge!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Added to the Resource List!
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/foamydm-burgess-dunne-flying-wing.85/
First Entry is DONE.

Notes on Resource posting for the rest of us. Have a picture good for an Icon ready. In addition, have a great RTF finished product Picture for inspiration. There is no format for submission information, but putting the build basics (motor, Servos, ESC, Battery, Sheet count, etc...) you would want when deciding what plane to download and printing and building. It seems also worthwhile to gather up a article to highlight the project and include in the resource write up. Last prep note - Have a small list of Tags too. one should always be "FTFC20".

Note that FT reserves the right to review the Resource entry prior making it public, so don't wait to upload them.

i hope this helps some of us Resource posting virgins.

jpot1

Elite member
Not quite done with the Astron v2 for this challenge but something caught my eye. Thinking about an Albatros DVA.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Vimana89

Legendary member
Sign me up for one more. Here's my third entry to round it out: This one's from Outerzone, but this plane has been made many times in balsa: The Avro Vulcan!
1569977413081.png

I'll be going simplified semi-scale prop in slot, full box fuselage until the slot though rather than profile. I was meaning to experiment with wider deltas, elevons, and semi-scale cold war birds soon. This gives me all three, and perfectly compliments my other two entries(one RET, one AET).

FoamyDM

I have noticed that a number of us here are blasting through these!
I know I took on a great deal (it seems) and I have been making steady progress. (I should have done like @Vimana89 and tackle only one at a time.)

Complete: BD.8 Tailless Flyer.
Minimoa30 - Built, too heavy for a real flight but complete except Flight Video.

Building:
BOT: repair materials ready for repair and maiden flight.
Vought OS2U-3: Cut-out and build in progress.
SKinimoa30: Cut, and ready for glue-up
Savioa-Marchetti S.55x: Installing servos and Guying

Printed:
Minimoa50
WindFreak

Design:
Mara

Possible Entries: Spruce Gosling (Hercules H-4), Kalinin K-7 (ifi I find Balsa Plans

FoamyDM

@Rockyoy - I remembered that while I worked my Lincoln Sport design from the 3-view, there are a number of healthy balsa model plans that I also referenced while building this. and I would like to add this one to the list.
FTFC20 - 1924 Lincoln Sport design by FoamyDM
15266620626571095413268.png

While this is nearly a Cheat as it is 95% built and had stalled while I searched for adequate Landing Gear installations techniques, I would like to kick this project in the pants to the finish line with this challenge.

I know it shouldn't have a ton of points but if it flys as well as it looks we all win.

Vimana89

Legendary member
@Rockyoy - I remembered that while I worked my Lincoln Sport design from the 3-view, there are a number of healthy balsa model plans that I also referenced while building this. and I would like to add this one to the list.
FTFC20 - 1924 Lincoln Sport design by FoamyDM
View attachment 144923
While this is nearly a Cheat as it is 95% built and had stalled while I searched for adequate Landing Gear installations techniques, I would like to kick this project in the pants to the finish line with this challenge.

I know it shouldn't have a ton of points but if it flys as well as it looks we all win.
Good looking plane, I like the shape of the fuselage. You will have a lot of entries! Right now I'm going to hold off adding anything else(even though there's a lot more I'd like to try). I've got three really solid entries to finalize, polish up, and make plans for. I've tried a few that were somewhat a waste of time, like the Pixie, T-Tray, and All Wing Wonder, but my three that are listed officially on the front page here are all successful.

So yeah, in keeping with no flooding micro status updates on things here, this is sort of a broad status update. My first Avro Vulcan prototype flew successfully, it was almost perfect right off the bat, and is quickly becoming my favorite plane to fly, though I've only maidened this morning and flew a couple times directly after to test further. Short flight in which I test a couple loops here:

The Floating Kidney is all but finalized and flies wonderfully, and is aerobatic and borderline a 3d plane, that can't critically stall. The '39 needs a little work, but flies well, and I'm confident my next attempt will get it where I want it. The Vulcan flies outstanding needs nothing but aesthetics, fit and finish right from prototype one, that's a massive success! I've got three great planes that are small, easy to build, and fly great, and I've got one for each 3ch category(RET, AET, elevons). I will not be posting an update here for a while, and likewise won't be adding another entry unless these three are all completed with enough time left in the year. I also will not be doing much, if any building not related to this challenge until I'm finished up.

My next phase will be polishing these builds up, likely going from A folds and exposed foam core edges to B folds and clean paper edges like true FT style. I'll try to draw up plans as I work on the(hopefully) finalized versions, so if the design improvements and build are a success, I already have the plans. I'm glad to see so many participants and such a variety of designs. I'll be watching everyone's individual progress and checking up on builds(y)

Last edited:

FoamyDM

The Remington Bernelli RB-2
rb2_v1.jpg

I watched this video... (Starting at the plane of interest)
Then was tickled by the flying Camper look to it. (I am gearing up to head out on a camping trip this weekend)
53c3a40aeab7ff8ba51f15416eea1dfd.jpg

teardrop-travel-trailers-teardrop-campers-for-sale-canada-teardrop-trailer-campers-for-sale-used-teardrop-travel-trailers-uk.jpg

Anyone a taker on this one? or at least interested in building this one for me... I think I've hit a limit (for now).

Here are links to the site with the balsa plans: http://www.aircrash.org/burnelli/pdf/mod_rb2.pdf

FoamyDM

DOES ANYONE WISH TO PARTNER UP AS A BUILDER?
Once again, I was testing a follow along with my design Process screen-capture thingy...which failed... but I have another plan set. for the "Flying Camper" above (that's what I'm calling it.) that makes me want to make a flying Wiinebego from spaceballs

Here's the plan preview:
\ 1571160281111.png
If you would like to team up to build this PM me and I will send you the more finished plans to use.
Then I can post a Build page and officially enter this.

Until I get more of the other projects complete, I am with-holding this one until I can give it proper build/fly time.

@rockyboy
Please note this partial entry
FTFC20-remington-bernelli-2-designed-by-foamydm-and-jpot1

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Back for an update sooner than expected, but progress has been faster than anticipated. The V4 1939 PA special and V1 Avro Vulcan need a couple small retrofits, like a top hatch for the '39, and a slightly more scale looking top hatch and additional rear electronics hatch to clean everything up on the Vulcan. They will then be ready to base the plans off of. The v2 Floating Kidney flies extremely well, but I may want to give this one more rebuild to try a more exact proportion Wing to the original. I realized a B fold is nice in the '39, but would make curved parts on the other two unnecessarily difficult with the way they are set up. Those portions of the design are fine as is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

jpot1

Elite member
@jpot1 two questions for you on this. Two how you turn this sexy plane into a usable flat plan? and how do you make the animated gif?

@FoamyDM - I use a plugin, I believe the name is flattery that was recommended on the forums by @DamoRC. You turn on hidden geometry, and then click each section to unfold. It’s a bit of a pain. I’ll try to get a video to post.

The steps for the animation are much simpler. You adjust your view in sketchup and create a scene for each “picture” you want to animate. You can then export the animated scenes from sketchup. It takes care of doing all the rotation for you. I then used an online free converter to take the video and convert to an animated gif. I’ll either do a video of this too or at least get all the menu steps for you.

jpot1

Elite member
I think the Aston submission is done. Just added the build log with lots of pics to post #3 in the thread. Probably will get another video of the final version when the weather cooperates. Please post if anyone builds one.

Link in my signature to the thread.