Solved FTFC20 Classic to Modern Forum Challenge!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
The RB-2 is not on the list yet... :unsure:
and I have post Beta 0.4 updates to the plans - B1.0, see build page.
260924_4ac0e122204e22781449ce451451cc28.jpg

Vimana89

Legendary member
That's a cool looking plane, is the plan available?

If you mean the Biplane, no foam board plans, and I did not stick with that one as an entry. If you mean the Floating Kidney, no plans yet but there will be when I finish the final stages of develoment on the project. The original balsa plans are all on Outerzone.

gordinir8

If you mean the Biplane, no foam board plans, and I did not stick with that one as an entry. If you mean the Floating Kidney, no plans yet but there will be when I finish the final stages of develoment on the project. The original balsa plans are all on Outerzone.
I am talking about this one.

Attachments

• 20191121_081018.png
    20191121_081018.png
    281.8 KB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Been on a bit of a hiatus with my entries due to other projects and some stuff coming up in life, but I'm ready to get back down to business on my entries. I've got some newer footage I've got to go through and upload of the Vulcan and '39 Special. Because the Vulcan is simple to build and fly, I will likely use it to be my first 4ch testbed in its next build. The Vulcan is a semi-scale bird after all, that's why I didn't make it super light and 3d like to begin with so it would have a delta bomber feel, so I think the rudder would add a nice scale touch, seeing as real planes tend to have rudders:LOL:. The '39 really just needs plans drawn up at this point. I'll be releasing it as 3ch AET, but it would be easy for anyone to add a rudder. The Floating Kidney, I'm tossing around the idea of adding elevons and making the dihedral tips very mild for a 4ch build. More weight and complexity, but it adds to the flight envelope without subtracting anything, it would pretty much make the Kidney a proper 3d bird.

FoamyDM

FoamyDM Challenge Update: December
I am making babystep progress on the planes I have claimed. (I should have made this prior to the Thanksgiving break)

BD.8 Burgess Dunn Flying wing - Complete (build video planned)
Minimoa50: A Glide vid, and Canopy.
Bird of Time: Repaired and strengthened the Fuse. Electronic should be re-tested and a new motor installed, with Folding prop spinner.
Skinimoa: Electronics in an tested. Cello-Skinning has been attempted. I got a bit overzealous with the heat and the hot skin pulled and came off. I have not re-attempted this. launch with rubber band on a stick.
Savioa-Marchetti S.55x: Electronics nearly complete, (1 WaterProof Servo) and Thread Rigging.
Windfreak: needs a rebuild on the Fuse. electronics. Late-night glide/CG test with broom handle went well. This flies well. Buttoning.
RD2, Flying Camper: A-pack built. glide toss (not filmed) shows promise. on the electronics install currently
Spruce Gosling, Micro-H2: no progress from declaration - Planned, built, Waiting electronics
Lincoln Sport: build complete, maiden-ready, pending Landing gear installation.
Vought OS2U-3 Kingfisher: Plans complete, build success. pontoon installation and electronics needed.
Luscolme07 Silvaire: - Designed, Fuse boxed out for skin trial.
Mara: Plans Complete

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
FoamyDM Challenge Update: December
I am making babystep progress on the planes I have claimed. (I should have made this prior to the Thanksgiving break)

BD.8 Burgess Dunn Flying wing - Complete (build video planned)
Minimoa50: A Glide vid, and Canopy.
Bird of Time: Repaired and strengthened the Fuse. Electronic should be re-tested and a new motor installed, with Folding prop spinner.
Skinimoa: Electronics in an tested. Cello-Skinning has been attempted. I got a bit overzealous with the heat and the hot skin pulled and came off. I have not re-attempted this. launch with rubber band on a stick.
Savioa-Marchetti S.55x: Electronics nearly complete, (1 WaterProof Servo) and Thread Rigging.
Windfreak: needs a rebuild on the Fuse. electronics. Late-night glide/CG test with broom handle went well. This flies well. Buttoning.
RD2, Flying Camper: A-pack built. glide toss (not filmed) shows promise. on the electronics install currently
Spruce Gosling, Micro-H2: no progress from declaration - Planned, built, Waiting electronics
Lincoln Sport: build complete, maiden-ready, pending Landing gear installation.
Vought OS2U-3 Kingfisher: Plans complete, build success. pontoon installation and electronics needed.
Luscolme07 Silvaire: - Designed, Fuse boxed out for skin trial.
Mara: Plans Complete
Nice, Where is the Mara thread?

Boberticus

I was sort of unaware of having to claim plans, had to reread through to be sure nobody is doing this one.

Rutan's model 68 AMSoil Racer https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11273

Maaaaamma Miiiiiaaaa!!! its all in Italian:eek:

integral landing gear, 2 points of vertical control, swiveling elevator, should have around a 40inch wingspan, ill have a ~400w motor on the front end, gonna be sweet.

I'm not at the point of printing plans quite yet, so I didn't want to create a scratch-build post just yet, but i'm working on it, Ive got the wings designed, the vertical and horizontal stab done, and most of the fuselage except for the top of the tail boom.

Im just finishing up on the fuselage to get that back curve done right, the front landing gear fairings and how the landing gear attaches, and a hatch figured out, and i should be ready to start building.

the landing gear is gonna be interesting, might have to have a spar of sort to attach them to, and the tail-swivel is probably going to require 3d printed parts, also, the real-life racer had slim fairings about two feet from the fuselage connecting the wings that i want to add.

FoamyDM

@Boberticus you don' t have to claim it. We can all do it, but you have to claim your attempt to be in the challenge is all. Glad you are in! don't forget to start a build page and link it.

Also - great plane to tackle. I want one (I say that to every plane i think.)

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I was sort of unaware of having to claim plans, had to reread through to be sure nobody is doing this one.

Rutan's model 68 AMSoil Racer https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11273

Maaaaamma Miiiiiaaaa!!! its all in Italian:eek:

integral landing gear, 2 points of vertical control, swiveling elevator, should have around a 40inch wingspan, ill have a ~400w motor on the front end, gonna be sweet.

I'm not at the point of printing plans quite yet, so I didn't want to create a scratch-build post just yet, but i'm working on it, Ive got the wings designed, the vertical and horizontal stab done, and most of the fuselage except for the top of the tail boom.

Im just finishing up on the fuselage to get that back curve done right, the front landing gear fairings and how the landing gear attaches, and a hatch figured out, and i should be ready to start building.

the landing gear is gonna be interesting, might have to have a spar of sort to attach them to, and the tail-swivel is probably going to require 3d printed parts, also, the real-life racer had slim fairings about two feet from the fuselage connecting the wings that i want to add.

Welcome aboard the challenge! :D

And what @FoamyDM said is all on the money - no need to claim, we just all want to follow along your build process! :D