Solved FTFC20 Design Challenge Draft Idea Thread

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Love that @rockyboy is driving this again this year :) - Thanks Man!

I like the amphibious option because it might force me to pick up the Macchi again but I'd be open to pretty much anything.

In order to get as many first-timers / newcomers involved, it would be good to define the class of plane pretty well so that folks can find pictures / plans / diagrams to design from. I also like the idea of a master class component but perhaps it could be a bonus on the scoring rubric, again, to encourage folks to participate who might not be ready to take on the challenges of such a design.

DamoRC

PoorManRC

Master member
I think "Cold War Jets" could be a great category. To increase participation pusher props should be allowed alongside more scale EDF jets. This category includes jet bombers, fighters, transports, cargo jets, interceptors, and x planes/concepts/prototypes of various kinds.I know I'd build at LEAST one plane for that challenge.
I'm DEFINITELY with THAT idea!! 👍👍
Besides the F-86 and MiG-15.... There's a host of other interesting Jets...

B-36
B-47 (most beautiful Bomber IMHO)
Tu-95 "Bear" (4 counter rotating Props on a SWEPT Wing!!!) Those crazy Russians!

How about an AWACS?? 😋 (the "Looking Glass", a KC-135 with the HUGE Radar Dish on top of the Fuse...

The Century Series Jets (F-100-107)

F-4 Phantom II
U.S. Navy Banshee, Phantom I, Crusader, Corsair II, Skyhawk....
Quite a bit more, and all probably MC.........

Same token, as @Hai-Lee stated, don't drift TOO far away from Core of what FT stands for. Still a lot of new people coming in....
If you handed them a MC Corsair as their FIRST - you'll never see them again!

However, as someone who was Born on a USAF SAC Base, and spent my life until 18 on SAC Bases, Cold War Jets are a definite favorite!!!
The Envelope SHOULD be pushed. But at the same time, remember your Roots. That's what made FT World Renowned!! 👍👍

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Had a fun suggest come in from @Morgajus for an asymetric aircraft challenge - and he found a great article about some of them too

https://hushkit.net/2017/12/05/top-ten-asymmetric-aircraft/

I love the discussions and ideas that have been tossed around in this thread, and there are more than just a couple of them I'd love to build a plane for. :D

Looking at the primary goals for the forum challenge for the past couple years, I want to stay true to a couple elements.

- should encourage new designers to try their hand for the first time
- theme should appeal to a wide audience to encourage participation
- should be flexible enough to not stifle individual innovation or interests
- should encourage sharing of research of aviation history (and RC history too!)

With these ideas in mind, and looking across the responses in the thread, I think that the Classic to Modern challenge might be a great one to do next. With the core structure being "design a modern foam board RC airplane based on an existing balsa plane design" it enables people to pick from a very wide range of topics - jets, amphibious craft, warbirds, biplanes, bombers, racers, golden age, wings and wacky fantasy things too! It also encourages dipping into history, both for the radio control history for where these plans came from, and the aviation history of the craft or theory or animal that inspired the plans.

As usual, I don't want to prohibit anyone from using different construction methods, and to encourage designers to step beyond our world of foam board, I can see a point bonus for well documented construction techniques other than flat folded foam board ("FT Masters" style forming, hot wire cut foam, fiberglass laminating, etc).

In fact, we could end up with some "throw downs" between builders in this wider challenge - like I'm interested in bringing some FT Master Class forming into my world and would enjoy a little friendly competition using that technique to build craft that look every bit as good as their balsa inspiration.

I also think this challenge could go a bit quicker than previous challenges I've run since we would be building from some existing materials. My goal would be to wrap this up in mid-January so it doesn't conflict with the annual Build-uary or April Showers challenges :D Maybe we even wrap this up by November to avoid the major holiday schedule conflicts?

So what do you all think? I'm not looking for a 100% consensus, but I do want this to appeal to a wide number of forum members. If there are tweaks that can make this even more appealing to specific forum members I'm happy to think about how we can make it happen. BUT if we tweak the challenge for a specific builder, they darn well better finish a great challenge entry! :D

OliverW

Legendary member
Had a fun suggest come in from @Morgajus for an asymetric aircraft challenge - and he found a great article about some of them too

I love the discussions and ideas that have been tossed around in this thread, and there are more than just a couple of them I'd love to build a plane for. :D

Looking at the primary goals for the forum challenge for the past couple years, I want to stay true to a couple elements.

- should encourage sharing of research of aviation history (and RC history too!)

With these ideas in mind, and looking across the responses in the thread, I think that the Classic to Modern challenge might be a great one to do next. With the core structure being "design a modern foam board RC airplane based on an existing balsa plane design" it enables people to pick from a very wide range of topics - jets, amphibious craft, warbirds, biplanes, bombers, racers, golden age, wings and wacky fantasy things too! It also encourages dipping into history, both for the radio control history for where these plans came from, and the aviation history of the craft or theory or animal that inspired the plans.

As usual, I don't want to prohibit anyone from using different construction methods, and to encourage designers to step beyond our world of foam board, I can see a point bonus for well documented construction techniques other than flat folded foam board ("FT Masters" style forming, hot wire cut foam, fiberglass laminating, etc).

In fact, we could end up with some "throw downs" between builders in this wider challenge - like I'm interested in bringing some FT Master Class forming into my world and would enjoy a little friendly competition using that technique to build craft that look every bit as good as their balsa inspiration.

I also think this challenge could go a bit quicker than previous challenges I've run since we would be building from some existing materials. My goal would be to wrap this up in mid-January so it doesn't conflict with the annual Build-uary or April Showers challenges :D

So what do you all think? I'm not looking for a 100% consensus, but I do want this to appeal to a wide number of forum members. If there are tweaks that can make this even more appealing to specific forum members I'm happy to think about how we can make it happen. BUT if we tweak the challenge for a specific builder, they darn well better finish a great challenge entry! :D
I agree fully!

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I am just looking for any excuse to roll last year's project (Naboo Star Skiff) over to this year, so composite aircraft would be great! Love the Cold War idea as well, would give me an excuse to rebuild the F-106 from FF TX last year. Really, I love most of these ideas, just running short of time to get all these awesome creations built!

cdfigueredo

Elite member

I also think this challenge could go a bit quicker than previous challenges I've run since we would be building from some existing materials. My goal would be to wrap this up in mid-January so it doesn't conflict with the annual Build-uary or April Showers challenges :D Maybe we even wrap this up by November to avoid the major holiday schedule conflicts?

I totally agree. I think it's best to increase participation.
The only complaint I have is that I can't wait that long. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have many desires to build for a challenge.:cool:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor

Onboard!

Vimana89

Legendary member
I liked almost every idea. I'd be on board 100% for the balsa to modern one. I just haven't researched much balsa builds or plans but I'm sure there is tons of good material to pick from.

RCBuildIdeas

Yes, the Classic to Modern Challenge sounds good to me!

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm literally already looking at two awesome balsa designs. One has a very unique history will be a good lesson for me in how to get elevons right. That's right, I'll definitely have the Last Laugh over those pesky elevons;)

Last edited:

JTarmstr

Elite member
I can go for classic to modern, sounds like fun. Plus I know there are websites with literally hundreds of old plan sets. However I dont like the idea of the challenge ending in November. maybe we can have it finish January 1st? I know for me personally that during Christmas I have a bit more free time to work on stuff.

MarioGdV

Both the Amphibious and the Classic-to-Modern Challenges sound really interesting, and they're easy enough to make new/begginer builders (me included) join the FTFC. I would love to participate this year, but I'm starting University so I'm probably not going to have enough time to build something decent, but I'll try to do it anyways.

JennyC6

Elite member
Internal Combustion Challenge.

It's all well and fun taking existing FT designs and trying to shoehorn engines into them...but how about getting some DTFB FT-style planes designed bespoke for internal combustion power?

RCBuildIdeas

ftfc20_classic2modern.png

...just having fun with this and brushing up on inkscape. I'm planning on using inkscape for the build plans.

Last edited: