Solved FTFC20 Design Challenge Draft Idea Thread

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Thanks! It took maybe an hour? I watched a bit of a youtube video that explained how to get the text to wrap around the circle and the little airplane I already had drawn from a previous effort.

It looks really good. Nice work, well done. (y)

With respect I would like to suggest you to modify the model of the logo. Maybe something like this.
It's just an idea. A transition from balsa plans to FoamBoard. Sorry for the lack of details, I'm in the office now. ;)

12.png

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm all in for this challenge. You can count me in for at least two planes. Right now, that's looking like Guillows Lancer and Roy Scroggs Last Laugh(a real plane that looked like a foam park flyer delta and has been done a few times in balsa).

Vimana89

Legendary member
Can't wait. I'll start with some simpler builds like the two I mentioned earlier; stuff I can prototype over an afternoon and evening and maiden the next morning and then have plenty of time to troubleshoot and polish up. Once I'm situated with a couple of those I may give something more ambitious a shot.

MiniacRC

That's a great choice brother, one that I'm not too familiar with but interested to learn about!

But I don't really understand how we're going to distinguish an existing balsa design, from any common airplane that has ever existed, from mustangs to pietenpols to F35s, there's probably a balsa model out there for all of them. So are there any iconic balsa designs from the past like the telemaster that entries should pay homage to, or is it any balsa model in history? Also, are we supposed to use the balsa plans and modify them or start from scratch and do our own design? Because if so, it seems to widen out and become a generic design-a-plane challenge.

Either way I'm intrigued and excited for this @rockyboy !!!!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
That's a great choice brother, one that I'm not too familiar with but interested to learn about!

But I don't really understand how we're going to distinguish an existing balsa design, from any common airplane that has ever existed, from mustangs to pietenpols to F35s, there's probably a balsa model out there for all of them. So are there any iconic balsa designs from the past like the telemaster that entries should pay homage to, or is it any balsa model in history? Also, are we supposed to use the balsa plans and modify them or start from scratch and do our own design? Because if so, it seems to widen out and become a generic design-a-plane challenge.

Either way I'm intrigued and excited for this @rockyboy !!!!

You're right, almost every model airplane has been reproduced in balsa. Maybe the entries should be complemented by a description of the model to replicate. There are balsa models that are iconical and do not correspond to replicas of real airplanes.
Perhaps it is a good idea to reward those iconical balsa models or those with a great story behind them.

For example:
Kyosho's Calmato
Curare

Just an idea

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I would be interested in biplanes, civilian and amphibious.
Hopefully I can complete it this year, would be about time I lead my challenge entry into what I envisioned and not go over-complicated.

Corbarrad

This year being the 70th anniversary of the Berlin Airlift, how about doing a design contest around that?
Maybe some Bonus points if your plane can drop candy...

There's plenty of planes available to choose from, even Amphibians and unusual configurations like the C-82 "Packet"

This, of course has nothing to do that I'm about to start work on a foamboard DC-3. I never finish anyways..

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
To answer some of the questions raised above, to meet the intention of the challenge there needs to be a link or picture provided to the balsa plans for the aircraft. And yes, this does open it up to tens of thousands of planes! If you want to build it, it's just a matter of finding plans where it's been done in the past. It's a way of encouraging both the research of the plane, and of the history of radio control design - cause there is a ton we can all learn by looking at the designs of the past. :D And who knows - maybe a few people will be inspired to build the balsa version too! :unsure:

As far as using the balsa plans as a stepping off point vs. designing for foam board from scratch, I think that's up to each designer. The plans would provide the 3 view profile and former shapes which could be great to trace over, or the balsa plans could just be something taped to the wall for inspiration. At the end of the challenge the designer should have a new plan and a plane that looks like the historical balsa plane, just built from foam board and other newer materials. And hopefully they have a story to share about the plane and the plans too!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Perfect, rockyboy, you've perfectly condensed the idea of the contest. I'm definitely in.
It only remains to define the rules of the contest and the dates. :D

I think this contest can provide a lot of learning for everyone, both in history and construction techniques.

Vimana89

Legendary member
As far as making printable plans, I have no skill in that area and I'm pretty bad at learning those types of programs. I could have somebody help me like before, but hate to bug people. Either way, guess I'll figure it out. I'll definitely be documenting all the dimensions and measurements for my builds, and presenting them as best I can. I can start by providing a simple sketch of each part with dimensions labeled, or I could try to draw up full plans on graph paper. From there, I could either get help making it into a printable plan, or perhaps learn to do so myself before the year is out. Just a heads up.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
you know I'm in for at least 2 builds.

Can I use my Bird of Time build? That is EXACTLY this contest. or is it too far along. I still have a V2 to design. well I might just go with a Thermic 50.
il_794xN.1563764076_a27h.jpg

or the Thermic 72 (same but bigger.) Trick would be to get an equivalent weight
il_794xN.1562057520_fwi7.jpg

something I think the BoT must have been based off. (tail is redesigned.)
If I can't use my BoT build that is.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Gotta go to that dollar store with the good papered DTFB that's colored on one end and white on the other. Thinking green and purple for the last laugh, or red and white. Something joker or jerstery looking, perhaps an emblem of a badass grinning skull in a jester hat. Just ideas...

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Whilst I will not be attending FF at any foreseeable time/date you finally hve a challenge right up my alley.

I am just about to start the work on building a FB version of an old Balsa design for one of the members of my local club. It will feature in a separate post! people wishing to copy are welcome!

Have fun!