Solved FTFC20 Design Challenge Draft Idea Thread

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
We have had some great design challenges over the years - some of the largest (looking at the number of entrants) being the Golden Age International Air Races in 2017, the Unusual Aircraft of WW2 in 2018, and Fantasy Aircraft in 2019.

So, is anyone out there interested in another big design challenge for this fall/winter? Specifically a design challenge where the primary goal is to get more people into designing and releasing plans, with all the great learning and camaraderie that comes with that? I know there are people out there who would love another good design challenge to keep us occupied for the fall - I'm looking at you @MiniacRC and @FoamyDM :p

In the course of those challenges, ideas have come up for other themes - some of which we've already tackled. But here are some that we haven't yet:

• Amphibious craft (anything capable of taking off/landing on water)
  • Classic to Modern (DTFB conversion of any balsa plans set - thousands available over at Outerzone, Aerofred, etc)
  • Composite Design (use combination of multiple materials from list of DTFB, Fiberglass, block foam, Balsa, 3D Printing, other)
  • X Planes & the Edge of Space - anything experimental from the cold war forward including high flying mother/daughter ship combos and other launch vehicles
  • Anything But the Usual - no single fuselage, single wing, single motor and prop up front designs - do something unusual and unexpected
  • Sold into Service - any plane that was sold (or stolen) into military service to another country other than where it was built (P-40's sold to UK, I-16 Rata's sold to Spain, etc)
  • Complete a Project - pick any design project started but not finished in any of the three forum challenges mentioned above (yours or someone elses)
  • Biplanes! Or any multi-winged creation - let's not discriminate against the tri-plane here!
  • Civil Aviation - any plane that wasn't intended for warlike purposes
  • Bombers - any plane used to drop ordnance (and yes, those first hand grenades tossed out of a WW1 craft could count!)
  • Racers - any plane used in an air-race capacity, speed or distance, modern or classic
  • Master Class - use the new FliteTest Master Class techniques in a design
Keep in mind the goal of the design challenge is to encourage RC aircraft design and all the learning and fun that goes along with it.

So let's talk about it - what interests you? Do you love some or one of these themes? Have other ideas? Let's hear 'em! :D

OliverW

Legendary member
We have had some great design challenges over the years - some of the largest (looking at the number of entrants) being the Golden Age International Air Races in 2017, the Unusual Aircraft of WW2 in 2018, and Fantasy Aircraft in 2019.

So, is anyone out there interested in another big design challenge for this fall/winter? Specifically a design challenge where the primary goal is to get more people into designing and releasing plans, with all the great learning and camaraderie that comes with that? I know there are people out there who would love another good design challenge to keep us occupied for the fall - I'm looking at you @MiniacRC and @FoamyDM :p

In the course of those challenges, ideas have come up for other themes - some of which we've already tackled. But here are some that we haven't yet:

• Amphibious craft (anything capable of taking off/landing on water)
  • Classic to Modern (DTFB conversion of any balsa plans set - thousands available over at Outerzone, Aerofred, etc)
  • Composite Design (use combination of multiple materials from list of DTFB, Fiberglass, block foam, Balsa, 3D Printing, other)
  • X Planes & the Edge of Space - anything experimental from the cold war forward including high flying mother/daughter ship combos and other launch vehicles
  • Anything But the Usual - no single fuselage, single wing, single motor and prop up front designs - do something unusual and unexpected
  • Sold into Service - any plane that was sold (or stolen) into military service to another country other than where it was built (P-40's sold to UK, I-16 Rata's sold to Spain, etc)
  • Complete a Project - pick any design project started but not finished in any of the three forum challenges mentioned above (yours or someone elses)
  • Biplanes! Or any multi-winged creation - let's not discriminate against the tri-plane here!
  • Bombers - any plane used to drop ordnance (and yes, those first hand grenades tossed out of a WW1 craft could count!)
  • Racers - any plane used in an air-race capacity, speed or distance, modern or classic
  • Master Class - use the new FliteTest Master Class techniques in a design
Keep in mind the goal of the design challenge is to encourage RC aircraft design and all the learning and fun that goes along with it.

So let's talk about it - what interests you? Do you love some or one of these themes? Have other ideas? Let's hear 'em! :D
I would love racers, or classic to modern

RCBuildIdeas

Yeah, I'm interested! I like the classic to modern theme as well as racers and civil aviation aircraft. Whatever is selected, we should come up with a logo or design for the FTFC20 Design Challenge that we can use to make t-shirts, posters and the like...just to make it fun and memorable for the participants.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I would like to see more FT involvement from Judging through to possibly even adoption of the winner as a possible store product after reworking if necessary!

This would put the emphasis back onto sound structural design without excessive weight, Lower parts count, lower weight, and the requirement to plug into the power packs from the FT store.

Lately it seems that the forum has sort of drifted away from the FT core and has taken on a sort of life of its own!

Just my thoughts of course!

Have fun!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
You know I'm In! I think the following would be fun.
Part of what make these and any project here interesting to me is the research and details of turning that idea/craft into a flying/crashing model. so any where we need to learn a little on the way is my vote.

I am noticing a trend as of late in the forums for speed and and commercial planes.
However I need this one Most of all:
I enjoy the Amphibious Craft Idea, (I will help with April Showers Challenge) [I am going to put in the flying galleon for my amphibious project submission] or that giant Hercules/Sea Duck from last time.
And I believe this challenge will yield some sexy craft - Master Class - use the new FliteTest Master Class techniques in a design.

Let me know if I can help. This time I will be submitting 2 entries max! (that's a declaration for myself)

MiniacRC

Man, those are all mouth watering. I'm a diehard fan of WW2 real and exotic planes but I'd love to explore other areas myself!
I'm with @Hai-Lee on the FT focus, with emphasis on pushing the limits of foamboard to inspire the budget scratchbuilders out there. Other materials are great .... but I just feel it shouldn't come down to the wallet determining the results.

Some quick themes that comes to mind are:

Fun:
• Smash together 2018 and 2019: A fantasy WW2 aircraft, possibly inspired by many real ones. The idea would be: Imagine you have all the tools in your shop in 1942 and you have the ability to alter the course of history by designing the ULTIMATE ww2 combat plane that can hold its own against all the famous fighters: FW190, A6M Zero, P51, etc.... What CRAZY fantasy piston-engine fighter or jet, etc would you design to take into a dogfight?
I'm in love with this challenge already...dangnabbit :):):)
1564101781479.png

• Sort of close to the first one, but also kinda different: Take a famous ww2 plane that's infamous for its advanced or difficult flying characteristics and design a made-up trainer version of this plane, that pilots could've used to train and transition to flying them. For example, Luftwaffe pilots skilled enough to fly the FW190D etc were scarce near the end and so they transitioned and learned with the FW190 S-5 model below.
4523496_orig.jpg

• From your list, I love the 'Bombers, Anything but the usual, multiwing' and hope the master series methods are probably going to work their way into people's designs regardless of the challenge :)

Serious:
• Design the new urban air taxi: basically uber in the air, since the topic is so hotly discussed in the industry
1564101838216.png
• The next dreamliner concept, like a blended wing body, the future staple of commercial travel: What will any kid on the street in 2050 draw on a sticky note if you asked them what an airplane looks like?
• In college we did this one: A single purpose suborbital space tourism craft, that can launch on its own or from a mother ship (like a common Boeing) , give the wealthy folks a glimpse of space and then return back: Just a fantasy sort of thing with aesthetic and comfort considerations.

Also @rockyboy , If you need any volunteer work done for the logistics, etc please don't hesitate to ask me. I have a passion for education and FT stem type of things and would love to do my part if I have the time. :)

Last edited:

JTarmstr

Elite member
My personal favorites (ranked most to least interested [though still more than the others]):

1 Classic to modern (so many things to choose from).

2 X-planes and edge of space (with the announcement of NASA going back to the moon and SpaceX doing that on their own initiative, it seems we truly have begun the space age)

3 Master class (I kinda like this one, its a real pain to make plans for these though).

On another note, multi engines would be great but break the bank. I could also go for the unloved fighters of the 50s and 60s, jets like the F9F, f4D and F-100 and their Russian counter parts the Mig 23 and Mig 19 never seem to get any attention.

FoamyDM

man i'm still working on 2018's challenge! Just kidding, but i'd love the amphib challenge. Especially with the surprise seaplane base we had at the end of the runway this year.
Me too! :LOL: Post a picture if you have one.

b-29er

Me too! :LOL: Post a picture if you have one.
I don't have one, someone does. I was flying my seawind and someone with a dlsr decided i needed to land and touch and go so they could get a shot. Was a tad bossy bit he got the shot. So someone does, just not me.

FoamyDM

• Design the new urban air taxi: basically uber in the air, since the topic is so hotly discussed in the industry
View attachment 137118
I don't have enough 3" quad motors for that! heck I have just enough for the Tail! with the 8 I have. :unsure: wait, maybe we use pulleys and shafts attached to a C-pack. or just and S-ton of ducted 8520 DC motors like having 12 miniquads strapped together!

Damn you. Damn you all to HELL!

This is the reason I need the finish the build challenge. That would only leave me with about 16 projects to finish.

Horseman3381

I am ready for another challenge.

I think it would be cool to do a Master Class challenge. But instead of having it be on it's own, I would combine it with one of the themes such as:

-Master Class Amphibious
-Master Class Bi-Planes
-Master Class Bombers
-Master Class Civil Aviation
(By the way, those are themes that interest me the most)

I think by adding the master class stipulation it would drive me and others to learn more about the new design/building techniques.

Another potential stipulation to as a way to try to encourage others in the FT community to built the planes everyone works on would be to put a limit on the building materials, such as the design must fit on (pick a number) sheets of foamboard.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I think "Cold War Jets" could be a great category. To increase participation pusher props should be allowed alongside more scale EDF jets. This category includes jet bombers, fighters, transports, cargo jets, interceptors, and x planes/concepts/prototypes of various kinds.I know I'd build at LEAST one plane for that challenge.

Fidget

My votes would be:
  • Classic to Modern - I want to build an SBD Dauntless, and this one would help push me toward that
  • Biplanes! Or any multi-winged creation
  • Civil Aviation
  • Bombers
  • Master Class
I would need someone to write out what constitutes the "master class" techniques. I would summarize what I've seen as "wrapping foamboard around formers" but could stand someone writing out their version if we go with that challenge.

kilroy07

Legendary member
man i'm still working on 2018's challenge! Just kidding, but i'd love the amphib challenge. Especially with the surprise seaplane base we had at the end of the runway this year.
Yup, After the storm passed...
IMG_9148.PNG
I caught sight of someone with a Sea Duck at the West end, Perfect time to fly one!
IMG_9151.JPG
IMG_9154.JPG
(taken with phone, not SLR...) ;)

FoamyDM

I am ready for another challenge.

I think it would be cool to do a Master Class challenge. But instead of having it be on it's own, I would combine it with one of the themes such as:
Another potential stipulation to as a way to try to encourage others in the FT community to built the planes everyone works on would be to put a limit on the building materials, such as the design must fit on (pick a number) sheets of foamboard.

I would like the MC attempts too! (thumbs up from me @rockyboy ) I personally worry that it then shuts out folks newer to the hobby/forums/building, and a big reason so many forum-members join in.
however I think as an unwritten rule. if you are a well-know accomplice in this... we should all be aiming for a MC level design (however simple is accessible). Best method just have bonus or a percentage of the point be for making the design (or attempting to make it) MC.

I expect to see MC building from you @Horseman3381 . Still impressed with your model thus far, which the shuttle/747 is MC .

Question is what are elements/requirements of a MASTER CLASS build? that is something that must be determined. Which is a Worthwhile discussion.

What if I did a hot cut foam built up section, like Rockyboy's Fock wulf FW-42 monster build? Would that qualify, it uses a master building technique to the table? David covered it building the uber-Viggen, but it isn't a "flite-test" build technique. And if I went to the trouble of cutting plane sections, building a foam slicer, and building up the sections of the plane, in an effort to "win" the challenge, I would be unhappy to have points docked for non-FT methods, for a new build method.

Just being Devil's advocate here, in a effort to ensure this MC get's parameters for us overachievers...

Yes @kilroy07, only 2 submissions... (until they are finished. then 1 at a time from there, is that fair?)

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I'm looking forward to participating in one of these contests. Yeheyyy :LOL::LOL::LOL:
I think keeping FT's building style is essential. It doesn't matter if it's Master Class or traditional FT building style. Of course, those models that look more real should receive a bonus. ;)
I also don't think the use of alternative materials should be penalized as long as the use of FB or similar is maintained as the primary material.

I would also like to add in the section from Classic to Modern, conversions from Control Line to RC models.

My votes would be:
  • Composite Design
  • Anything But the Usual
  • Classic to Modern | Control Line to RC
  • Biplanes
  • Sold into Service

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've wanted to mess with coroplast and stuff so, composite design is one I would enjoy. Civil aviation and Bombers are two other categories I'd probably do well with, out of the first list. I'll reiterate my idea of "Cold War Jets" which includes several categories and provides ample opportunity for the more experienced builders to showcase MC techniques on all those sleek jet age fuselages.

Two other awesome ideas I had for a challenge:
1.) A complete custom challenge. Do your own design, can't be a scale model of an existing or proposed aircraft design, full scale or RC, but it can borrow elements and inspiration from these things.
2.)Animal wings. Design a plane with a wing(and possibly other applicable features) based on that of a real world animal, modern or extinct. So much to choose from here, from insects, to birds, to flying mammals, to dinosaurs...