FTFC20 Dunne type Tailless Flyer by FoamyDM

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I finished up the controls. And test them.

I noticed that the straws that come with the hugs for just over the landscaping wire I use for control rods. You know, the kids drinks that looks like a barrel. I use them as hinge barrels. So far so good.

The vid:

I'm almost ready !

Vimana89

Legendary member
Here is the 1st maiden
Prop broke. Try again another day
Ouch. That's the good thing about having my flying field across the street, I can run back and swap a busted prop and make fast repairs. Looks like you simply didn't launch at high enough throttle, or have thrust to weight issues.

FoamyDM

Ouch. That's the good thing about having my flying field across the street, I can run back and swap a busted prop and make fast repairs. Looks like you simply didn't launch at high enough throttle, or have thrust to weight issues.
Yeah, I did not get the thrust I expected. It was wide open.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Yeah, I did not get the thrust I expected. It was wide open.
Ouch. Lack of thrust hurts extra on rear pushers like that with no prop wash on your control surfaces. Its a really nice looking plane, and looks like it will fly great if you nail the thrust, weight, and CG(y).

FoamyDM

Thanks. @Vimana89 CG was right, per the balsa plans. and the Lack of thrust was a surprise to me. The 8x45x3 prop I had on, has seemed weak in thrust. It's a C-pack motor... 30a ESC and a 2200 3S Battery Fully charged.
I will have to try it again... Just confirm direction, and possibly install a wheelie skid.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I think what is missing here is a serious overbite and a pipe :LOL:
1237.jpg
Seriously though, a real interesting model to recreate

FoamyDM

I think what is missing here is a serious overbite and a pipe :LOL:
View attachment 143372
Seriously though, a real interesting model to recreate
I was just thinking the same. Bonus authenticity points for flying it while wearing a suit & smoking a foamboard pipe.

HAHA! I will see what I can do about putting on a jacket and Tie, with my "Pipe" (I don't own one) but I CAN make one, at the very least from Foamboard. I think I will add a Color Picture to the Plans for fun!

FoamyDM

So I returned with a broken lethargic 3-blade. I installed an 8x4.5 slow fly propeller last night, and tested the trust. and it had an appropriate amount of getup and go. I think the 8", 3-blades were a 3" pitch. which wasn't cutting it. I should really put a 0860-3 blade. Should be good on a C-pack motor.

Improvements. Add wingtip skids, and the anti-wheelie skids. I didn't think they were important, however, as the plane lifts, the nose rotates up, and catches the prop on the ground. Having these should stop the ground prop strikes, and the wingtips catching. Simple fixes with plenty of time to fly and record it.

@CarolineTyler I doubt I can ever cop to the stunning dew.
252884_1a572885a9f1a3f29801b2dff190f230_thumb.jpg

FoamyDM

The washout, wing rotation, and the small amount of Dihedral. It looks severe in the pipe photo (I assume that's what it the pic was for, just happened to catch the plane), but according to the plans is it is maybe 1/2 -3/4 inch at the tips.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Maiden success with and underpowered 3-point landing.
I had the battery connected for a while.... Like a whole day or two. So i was heading around the first turn btwn 60-80% throttle. And felt a noticeable drop in power, as I came across the back leg tapping 100%, and dropping still at 100% throttle on the last turn. It had come in more as a powered glide. Perfect 3-pt landing! The BBQ skewer wing skids were a good add.

Unfortunately I didn't bring another battery. But I will chalk this solidly in the win column!:D

I was so happy with the handling. It was a nice easy flyer once trimmed out.

Verdict: Build one for yourself!
  • Simple and quick build.
  • It Fits the standard C-pack with ease.
  • With taller skis, this can wield a 10" prop. But flies great with a 8" slow fly prop. 7x3x3 not so much.
  • It's a great historical talking piece.
I have added the video to the C-pack post. Soon I will add this to the reources pages and post.

It would bring me great joy, when you build one, share your experience with the cummunity here..

Vimana89

Legendary member
That flies really nice now! Great job! You simplified the design and build process as much as possible while still making it look very scale and keeping all the class. I'd say that's a success.

FoamyDM

Did... Not... see the pipe... But great Job!! ;)
The photos coming. I told my son about it and he had this huge grin. He can't wait.
I need that photo to post this model plan set to aerofred where I found the balsa model.

@Vimana89 the simplification was mostly done by the original balsa designer. I might use this model to make my first build video.

JennyC6

Elite member
That thing looks awesome! Didn't know biplane flying wings were even a thing; always thought the Germans beat us to the punch with the flying wing in the 40s with the HO-229.

Would absolutely love to build one of these if I could figure out a suitable engine. Hmmmm......

FoamyDM

Like a 64mm EDF? :p, :unsure:wait that could be fun
Seriously if you have a C or B pack setup they will swap RIGHT ON. Just two 9g servos.

@JennyC6 - show us what happens when you put a Cox on it. (y)

JennyC6

Elite member
Like a 64mm EDF? :p, :unsure:wait that could be fun
Seriously if you have a C or B pack setup they will swap RIGHT ON. Just two 9g servos.

@JennyC6 - show us what happens when you put a Cox on it. (y)
Looks like it'd be too heavy for a Cox engine. I was thinking more an FS26 Surpass. Though perhaps one of these scaled down to a 15" wingspan might just be light enough for an 049 to power it....