FTFC20 Fairey Swordfish designed by jack954

jack954

Here's my entry for the classic to modern challenge. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/ftfc20-classic-to-modern-forum-challenge.59766/
1566007307825.png

I am going to try to do a master series type build but may dial it down if it seems to much (mainly the wings). Here is the link to the plans I'll be using.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3455
1566007611330.png

I am increasing the plans by 10% for about a 40in wingspan.
I also plan to make it compatible with floats.
1566008031219.png

Last edited:

jack954

IMG_7134.JPG
IMG_7132.JPG

I had some time today to start building the plane. I started with the wings because I knew It would probably be the most trouble. I designed the wing as a master series but I used a box spar instead of the plywood/foam spar they usually use. I wanted to try this because it is easier to build and you don't have to cut plywood. Unfortunately I made the height of the spar too big toward the center of the wing, so it was too steep to bend the top wing over the spar in the center. I also forgot to finish designing the dihedral but that is not too hard to do without plans. Other than that, I think it will work very well once I fix those issues.

jack954

Well I found out my problem... For some reason I doubled the spar height in the plan. I have no idea why:ROFLMAO:
I shortened it the right length and now things are fitting so far!

jack954

Finished the lower wing and almost done with the upper. Unsure how I feel about the master series style wing for this plane. I might try a standard FT style wing also. I plan to start working on the fuselage this weekend.

jack954

It's been a while, but I have been making slow progress on the Swordfish. I started working on the Skin last week.
IMG_7430.jpg
IMG_7431.jpg
I need to fix the front piece probably by spiting in in 2 or 3 pieces.

Got to work on the skin some more tonight, but stopped when it began to rain. I have more finished than shown in this picture. I just need to make the back piece next.
IMG_7450.jpg
After I finish the skin I can start working on the wing mounts and electronics and tail surfaces.

jack954

Finished skinning the plane and scanned most of the pieces. Hopefully they'll come out a little smoother when I trace them out in cad.
Here's some pictures from today:

IMG_7471.jpg
IMG_7474.jpg

I have been thinking where I can put the tail servos so they are easily accessible if needed for repair. They little black spot in the second photo in front of the vertical stabilizer is the servo arm. The only problem it might cause is too much tail weight, but i think it should be fine. Hopefully it will be ready for maiden next week, but we'll see.

I found this picture today and it looks like it will be a cool paint scheme to try.
1575767687770.png

jack954

Just about done with the build. I planned to finish it earlier this week but had a few issues when I was about to mount the top wing. First one of my servos started acting a little sketchy so I had to replace that. After I swapped servos, the top wing was not mounting as nicely as before so it took a while to get everything somewhat straight.
IMG_7537.jpg
IMG_7537.jpg
I am a little worried that it might be tail heavy. I couldn't find a balance point on the balsa plans but with a 2200 3s up front, it seems to glide ok. I just need to do a few adjustments to get everything dialed in. I plan to maiden it on Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_7539.jpg
    IMG_7539.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

jack954

Went to maiden it today with not much luck. When it was tossed, it made a flat turn left. I was able to get it straight and set it down nicely. I adjusted the rudder servo and the same thing happened on the second attempt. I believe the problem is the motor pod because I had that problem a couple times on the plane I took it out of. Besides that, it seemed to float nicely when I had to bring it down. I'll rebuild the pod and have another attempt next week.

jack954

Rebuilt the power pod and went to fly it again on Sunday.
This time I was able to fly it around a bit. It wanted to go up some after launch which I think might have been a thrust angle issue. The roll rate seem to react slow which Is why the flight is short. Other than that it seemed really floaty and a gentle flyer. I was running a c-pack equivalent with a 10X7 prop on a 3s 2200, probably around half throttle or less. On landing, the bottom wing came undone and a little damage at the start of the polyhedral.Any help with the roll issue would be appreciated. :)