FTFC20 Force One by SquirrelTail

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This should convert nicely to foam board! Looking forward to seeing it come to life! :D

OliverW

Legendary member
I keep thinking about this and I am wondering how I make that delta wing shape. The wing shape is what stopped me on mine last year as well.

jpot1

Elite member
You could either do it as a flat wing with a KFM step or if you want a foldover wing just go with a typical wing but cut an angle at the root.

Vimana89

Legendary member
A flat KFM or even two layers glued together and taped on the leading edge. for smaller planes, a simple one layer no airfoil wing is usually enough with a strong shape like a delta or round wing, as long as your fuselage or spine reinforces it enough.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Awesome choice, like the lines of the fuselage, and I like the fact its a tailless delta but looks to have AET rather than elevons. That's somewhat unique. I think that plane should fly great!

OliverW

Legendary member
You could either do it as a flat wing with a KFM step or if you want a foldover wing just go with a typical wing but cut an angle at the root.
I mean like draw the delta shape and have it be the same on both sides. But now I will definitely use the KF step!

OliverW

Legendary member
Awesome choice, like the lines of the fuselage, and I like the fact its a tailless delta but looks to have AET rather than elevons. That's somewhat unique. I think that plane should fly great!
Thanks! I have been eyeing the balsa usa kit for years..

Vimana89

Legendary member
You take the rectangle or square as wide as u want the root/span or your delta. The length is as long as u want the cord to stretch. At the top end of your square or rectangle, measure a point exactly at the middle/half way point. From there, simply take a straight edge or meter stick or whatever, and draw the lines sweeping from your midpoint down to the corners of your square. Account for any squaring on the wingtips or front of the wing to fit a nose or whatever. No real math, just drawing lines. Congratulations, you can now scratch build delta wings!

Attachments

• IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

OliverW

Legendary member
You take the rectangle or square as wide as u want the root/span or your delta. The length is as long as u want the cord to stretch. At the top end of your square or rectangle, measure a point exactly at the middle/half way point. From there, simply take a straight edge or meter stick or whatever, and draw the lines sweeping from your midpoint down to the corners of your square. Account for any squaring on the wingtips or front of the wing to fit a nose or whatever. No real math, just drawing lines. Congratulations, you can now scratch build delta wings!
Thank you very much! I feel dumb now lol.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Thank you very much! I feel dumb now lol.
I was going through the same dilemma pretty early in my building experience. I just sort of sat down and thought "come on brain...whats a way I can draw this shape and make it even with minimal measuring and no math?" and it just sort of came together. I don't use cad and stuff to mock up my builds so I need to have methods of making even shapes. This is the method I used to make the V Sliver.

OliverW

Legendary member
I started to work on the plans and made one wing half...... How do you mirror objects in DoubleCAD? I need to make the other half!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I started to work on the plans and made one wing half...... How do you mirror objects in DoubleCAD? I need to make the other half!

After you select all the objects the "mirror" command can be typed in the command box. It's a weird software behavior that you can't start the command before selecting the objects. AutoCAD lets you do it either way - I think it's just a bug in the DoubleCAD program.

OliverW

Legendary member
After you select all the objects the "mirror" command can be typed in the command box. It's a weird software behavior that you can't start the command before selecting the objects. AutoCAD lets you do it either way - I think it's just a bug in the DoubleCAD program.
And I have one final question: how do you select multiple items? It only let's me select one. I also forgot to say thank you so much!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Click into an open space and drag a selection window - one way only selects things entirely in the window, and one way selects any item that crosses the window. Or hold down the shift key and click on additional items one at a time.

L Edge

Master member
Since you have landing gear, you might want to add a carbon rod to go across the wing. If you mount the main LG over the rod, reduces the chance of driving or ripping off the landing gear thru the wing on hard landings. I also re-enforce the nose gear with balse wood inside when it takes a hard landing. The battery produces a large force when slammed down taking out the foam or landing gear.

If you fly in cross winds, set up a steerable nose wheel for excellant control on takeoffs and landing.
Have you looked into 4D flying?

OliverW

Legendary member
Since you have landing gear, you might want to add a carbon rod to go across the wing. If you mount the main LG over the rod, reduces the chance of driving or ripping off the landing gear thru the wing on hard landings. I also re-enforce the nose gear with balse wood inside when it takes a hard landing. The battery produces a large force when slammed down taking out the foam or landing gear.

If you fly in cross winds, set up a steerable nose wheel for excellant control on takeoffs and landing.
Have you looked into 4D flying?
I am thinking about doing a 1/4 hard wood spar and then have 8th inch ply wood plates for the wire gear legs to mount to.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Can't wait to see this take shape. I mentioned earlier in this thread how I like the plane and it is cool because it uses an AET scheme instead of elevons. That was designed before mixing, and it's neat, but not efficient. With a tailless bird like that I wouldn't copy that feature(I have before, it works, but clunkier). Just use elevons and it will be simpler. Other than that, the design is a really straight forward prop in slot delta.