FTFC20 Howard DGA-6 (Racing) designed by Mayan

mayan

Legendary member

bracesport

Legendary member
@mayan - hello my friend - I am a bit committed up to my eyeballs with work at the moment (not to mention my Carbon Poly DLG which is in the background) to do any more new builds - I would however like you to post your work so I can life vicariously through that!

mayan

Legendary member
Having asked in the past with no one really bitting I’ll ask again.

@FoamyDM @kilroy07 @The Hangar @Hai-Lee @bracesport @BATTLEAXE @CarolineTyler @basslord1124 @buzzbomb @sundown57 @Jimun @SquirrelTail @Grifflyer @Vimana89 @Arcfyre @Zetoyoc @PsyBorg

would any of you be willing to build one and give me your feedback on it? Would any of you be interested in a group build? Maybe even discord build nights? One way or the other I’m building a new one and would be happy if you all joined me :).
Here is the link to the group build: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/dga-6-aka-mister-mulligan-group-build.68375/, hope to see you all there :)

basslord1124

Master member
@mayan , As awesome as that sounds, it is a bad time here. In the process of changing houses. Most of my goodies are packed or are in storage. So could be a little while before I get fully situated again.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Having asked in the past with no one really bitting I’ll ask again.

@FoamyDM @kilroy07 @The Hangar @Hai-Lee @bracesport @BATTLEAXE @CarolineTyler @basslord1124 @buzzbomb @sundown57 @Jimun @SquirrelTail @Grifflyer @Vimana89 @Arcfyre @Zetoyoc @PsyBorg

would any of you be willing to build one and give me your feedback on it? Would any of you be interested in a group build? Maybe even discord build nights? One way or the other I’m building a new one and would be happy if you all joined me :).

I'm really not a fixed wing guy yet but it seems you and @kilroy07 have set the hook and have reeled me in haha. I know I can do the build just fine and make it look pretty. Just not sure how long it would survive my lack of piloting skillz to know if it really flys or not.

mayan

Legendary member
I'm really not a fixed wing guy yet but it seems you and @kilroy07 have set the hook and have reeled me in haha. I know I can do the build just fine and make it look pretty. Just not sure how long it would survive my lack of piloting skillz to know if it really flys or not.
I’d be delighted if you joined the build and be happy to get your flying experience feedback.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I’d be delighted if you joined the build and be happy to get your flying experience feedback.

Your missing the point bruh.. I cant fly haha... I have yet to fly a full pack in ANY fixed wing I have tried. I can build em great and make em pretty though..

mayan

Legendary member
Long time ago I joined this challenge transforming a balsa plane into foam board. At first I had a little bit of problems with design because things didn’t come together well. So I printed out the plans took some transparent paper and start copying the design. I’ve been later took that and transferred it into adobe illustrator on the computer. After playing around with the design a bit things started to come along together and the build went well. I got to a point where I’m very happy with the build and the design but I’m just not happy with the way the model flys. Here is a short video of the maiden flight of the latest build I’ve done of this model which is also part of a group build. Please watch the video and let me know what do you think why it’s not flying good well I can check what I can change, thank you.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Long time ago I joined this challenge transforming a balsa plane into foam board. At first I had a little bit of problems with design because things didn’t come together well. So I printed out the plans took some transparent paper and start copying the design. I’ve been later took that and transferred it into adobe illustrator on the computer. After playing around with the design a bit things started to come along together and the build went well. I got to a point where I’m very happy with the build and the design but I’m just not happy with the way the model flys. Here is a short video of the maiden flight of the latest build I’ve done of this model which is also part of a group build. Please watch the video and let me know what do you think why it’s not flying good well I can check what I can change, thank you.

Hey @mayan just watched the video you linked. It appears to me that she flies with a tail-down attitude. This means one of three things: either she's tail heavy, the incidence angle of the wing and tail are set improperly, or the thrust angle needs adjustment.

Keep in mind the original full scale DGA-6 was designed around a massive (heavy) radial engine. That's one of the reasons the nose is so short. May be hard to balance with modern equipment without stretching the fuse a little bit.

I'm assuming you set the wing and tail incidence angles according to the original plans. Check them again though just to verify. A small shim, like a popsicle stick, or a single piece of foam under the leading edge of the wing may be all you need.

Finally thrust angle. She's a high wing, and so the motor is mounted below the wing. Powering up will create a torque moment around the center of lift, causing her to pitch up. With the nose as short as it is, you may need some more down thrust to counter this upward pitching tendency.

How does she glide with the power off? If she glides, stalls, then glides some more she's probably tail heavy. If she drops her nose with the power off it's likely thrust angle or incidence angle.

Good luck 🤞

danskis

Master member
First- I love this plane and really appreciate your hard work on the plans. The following is much like Arcfyre said - just said a little differently. It sure looks tail heavy to me. Do you constantly have to input down elevator? (then more downthrust or nose weight or both) Do you have any downthrust? (if no put some in) How wide is the wing and where does it balance? What happens if you take it up high and fly hands off at half throttle? As you already know the goal is straight and level hands off. If you get it flying sorta OK do a dive test with motor off to determine the CG. This test is counter intuitive and really tells you if you have to much up or down elevator trim. Also there are other explanations on the web.

CG & the Dive Test | Gympie Model Flyers (wordpress.com)

mayan

Legendary member
Wow so many great things to check. Going to rebuild the model every soon. This time I’ll also film and document the build for more feedback from your end :).