FTFC20 Howard DGA-6 (Racing) designed by Mayan

mayan

Legendary member
Forgot to mention that I recently added a bit more design work to this model and finished off a few things that were missing on the design. I add the cowl spikes and closed the back part of the tail boom with post board and filled it with a plastic wrapping like they do on the nose section of the Spitfire. Next thing I need to address is the landing gear wheel pants, the wheel fairings, and all the struts for the wing.

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Alright folks so V2 has been flying for a while now and I love it! So far the weight of the bird using the under-cambered wing design is 455g, excluding the battery. So far V2 of this model has been tested with two different power setups. Setup 1 is using a B pack motor, 10x5 prop and a 20A ESC makes a nice slow flyer, needs more run way to take off/land and can't do any special manuvers but flies nice and steady. Setup 2 is using a C pack motor, 9x4.7 prop, and a 20A ESC this setup turns the bird into a speedier aircraft, allowing short take off/landings and has better handling in the sky to do manuvers. Both setups are fun and both can be flown in wind ranging between 0-18km/h which is what I was able to test fly the plane in. So far I have been able to balance the plane perfectly with 3S batteries ranging from 1000mah - 2200mah, but I believe that this plane can handle big batteries. Maybe on of my next test will be to parallel two 2200mah batteries see what flight time I can make out of it. Do to the large space inside allowing for big batteries to go in I think it can be used for awesome long distance FPV.

Any how here is a short video I made of the last time I took it out, enjoy.

I think I might release so beta plans soon so others can attempt to build it and comment the build process prior the end date of the challenge that way I can address any problems others might encounter before the challenge is over :).
Rolls, loops, low passes. It looks you're getting it figured out. It was flying great!

mayan

Legendary member
So I recently found a problem with my design, the wing tips. In the design I removed the papaer from the upper part of the wings to allow them to mold over and create a nice looking airfoil. The thing is that if the wing tip gets just a little downward bend it messes it up and make handling of the plane hard although not impossible. The problem though is that no matter what trim you do to the aileron the problem continues. I fixed my wing up after I realised the problem but unfortuatly on my last outing with it I totaled the wing completely, ripping of the wing tips completely, which leads me into building a new wing all in all, I probably won't make any changes to it yet, but might do so before realising V3. I also finally had the chance to finish fixing my work room and spent yesterday night and this morning to bring it back into useable condition, so hopefully tonight I will remove all the parts that are not being used from the V2 plans and realse a beta version of them (fingers crossed).

Any how let's start building the new set of wings.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So I recently found a problem with my design, the wing tips. In the design I removed the papaer from the upper part of the wings to allow them to mold over and create a nice looking airfoil. The thing is that if the wing tip gets just a little downward bend it messes it up and make handling of the plane hard although not impossible. The problem though is that no matter what trim you do to the aileron the problem continues. I fixed my wing up after I realised the problem but unfortuatly on my last outing with it I totaled the wing completely, ripping of the wing tips completely, which leads me into building a new wing all in all, I probably won't make any changes to it yet, but might do so before realising V3. I also finally had the chance to finish fixing my work room and spent yesterday night and this morning to bring it back into useable condition, so hopefully tonight I will remove all the parts that are not being used from the V2 plans and realse a beta version of them (fingers crossed).

Any how let's start building the new set of wings.
Just a thought!

If you remove the paper to make the wing profile smoother or the like there is nothing stopping you from gluing the paper back on after the wing has been shaped and glued as required!

Have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
I finally finished fixing my work room and was actually able to get to my computer, soooo I removed some parts from the plans and submitted the beta version of them to the resource area on the forum. Once they are approved you'll be able to find them here: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/howard-dga-6-aka-mr-mulligan.88/ if any of you want to build it and give me their honest feedback about it.

mayan

Legendary member
I realized some problems with the wings on plan that I uploaded, I already fixed them so I will rebuild the wings today and upload the new plans once I make sure they are OK. I update the problem with them on the resource discussion area so that anyone downloading might see that.

More later...

mayan

Legendary member
Alright so after a bit of a break from this project using my spare time to build and fly FT models that I know will fly prefect. But tonight after a staff meeting at work I’ll be back to this project 100% with 3000 horse power pushing forward to make this a killer model. I have the night shift, if it’s quite that’s 8 hours of pure work on the model :).