FTFC20 Jack Lynn Bale Lockheed U2 A/B Re-Done by LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been resisting the urge to throw my hat in this one since the last two years I have come up with less than complete projects. But THIS build is on my short list, and I have had a laser-cut wood model for several years, and would really LOVE to see this puppy become a viable option on the cheap and easy. The original plans were done by Jack Lynn Bale in '72. There are several variants of this plan out there on the standard plan sites that range from copies of originals, to full recreations of the original. Here's a pic of my kit and the plans that came with it. Looks like wings will fit on a single sheet at this size so I hope to build it at this size. Kit was originally 117" for a 110mm EDF, but I had them scale it down to fit a 50mm ducted fan. Turns out they scaled it 50%. So wingspan will be 58.5" and a 64mm EDF may work as well.
lockheedU2.jpg

Link to balsa plans on outerzone https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7113

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Not going to chop up my good "balsa" plans so I'm working on printing up a tiled set of plans to use for making initial parts. I'm going to play with the scale a bit till the parts fit around the EDFs that I have laying around. Also going to do some tests to see what % of the original plan fits nicely on a piece of DTFB. Initial build will be a square fuselage, but depending on how well it goes, I would like to make a smooth and rounded fuselage too. Local DT store used to have black foamboard. Need to swing by to check and pick some up for a stealthy black version that wouldn't need extra painting.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
After printing off a few tiles of the plan, I found that they had scaled it 50% from the original plan. I vaguely remember them saying they did this so that all the balsa and ply parts come in 1/32 size increments, and it would make it easy to get the appropriate spars by just taking the recommended parts and halving them. Original plans were for a 110mm EDF, so at 50%, a 64 might be pushing it size wise. Going to compare the size of the EDF mount to one of my 64mm EDFs, and if it looks like it will fit, I'm continuing to print the rest of the tiles at 50% and start chopping up some DTFB. Hope to have some pics to post up soon.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've got all the tiled plans printed and merged together. Sized them up to the DTFB pile I've got and this size looks really good. Have a couple real test pilots to help me with the flight testing when it gets to that point. The store up the road no longer has the black DTFB, so I'll be doing the paint thing.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Don't worry, I have NOT forgotten about this build or design. Taking advantage of rainy weather to work on my EDFs and thrust tubes. Did an initial runup on the 8 blade 35mm I have on 2s, and was really impressed on how smooth, quiet, and thrusty it was.... Right up till the pressed on fan flew off into my leg at about half throttle.
ductme.jpg

Huh?? Whah??? Who builds a high thrust motor with a pressed on fan??? Not even a snap ring to keep the motor together. Guess I'll have to dig one up after I find a replacement blade. I'm thinking about building a half size of the half size just for fun...

For now I'll focus on thrust tubes and cutting foamboard.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been digging around the local dollar and craft stores. I found the black foam board again, but it was at a craft store, not a dollar store. So that makes it ex$$$tremely pric$$ey. Guess that is why I didn't pick it up the first time I found it. LOL. Working on cutting out patterns....

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Never worry, never fear, LitterBug will soon be hErE.... Yup, still working on it. Did some more stitching and cutting tonight and layed out key parts next to foamboard. Looks like a GREAT fit, especially with a removeable noz.
U2testFitDTFB.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug