FTFC20 - KK invader

bracesport

Legendary member
@rockyboy - I love this RC conversion of the KK Invader with Pitcherons - to meet your specifications I would need to make this powered - seems doable! :LOL:

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.21.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.44.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.16.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 6.30.44 PM.png

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This is a beautiful plane! I know the challenge specs call for using an FT power pack, but it's just a couple points in the scoring if you choose to build her as an unpowered glider. But it would be even more awesome if you had a removable power pod that would convert it back to a pure glider... :cool:

But seriously, don't mind me here - just make something you'll love and we'll all cheer for it! :D

daxian

Elite member
lol ....i built that one from a kit back in the seventies...tissue/dope covered !! was a fun flier ,even as a free flight ...did not last too long though. rc was out of my reach in those days .

bracesport

Legendary member
I have been tinkering with Flyboa on the DLG which is focused on weight out - this will be a challenge along those lines!

bracesport

Legendary member
I got a bit sidetracked with another project (the ridge rat inspired by thenated0g), but the CAD is out of the way, so now to convert the Invader to 3D. I definitely will use the DLG wing technique for all wing surfaces, but this time minus the outer paper - a la @TooJung2Die!

TooJung2Die

Master member
I'll be watching this. Are you going to include rudders or make it bank-n-yank? I have another balsa old-timer kit with the same tail as the Invader. I've been delaying the build because I haven't sorted out in my mind how to control the dual rudders. I think you can make just one active rudder and leave the other fixed. Woodward's Invader has fixed tail surfaces and uses the pitcheron (wingeron?) wing for all control.

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@Matagami Designs - yes I have been a pro onshape user for two and a half years (highly recommend it being an ex SW user for 12 yrs) - the wings function like elevons (the wing halves rotate together or independently) - see the beginning of the video pitcherons

Matagami Designs

Master member
Wow that is impressive. I kind of figured that is what was happening. Never seen that before. I'm assuming there is no full scale applications of this in real life? Are there advantages in this for slope soaring?

bracesport

Legendary member
I think the simple way to make the pitcherons is to have an axle built into the base wing section and tubes inserted into the wings - a simple pin at each end will secure the wings onto the axle - depending on the total weight of the ship the length of the axle can be assessed. :D

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 5.55.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 5.55.55 PM.png