• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

FTFC20 Mara designed by FoamyDM

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
This the entry of the MARA designed by FoamyDM

The graceful swept curves of this Thermal Soarer are enticing, I am drawn to the unique construction methods employed to build this unique craft.

History:
The craft was designed in 1999 by Markku Tähkäpää, reknown veteran Finnish modeler. but plans weren't drawn up until 2014. according to the RC GRoups thread and outerzone, Markku indicated there are no thermal decouplers... so plan accordingly.

FDM Plans:

Build Log:
This wing is a LONG slender build, and I will be relying heavily on the Skin (and glue up) for the heavy lifting. Also worth noting is this seems to be Rudder only.

Maiden Flight:

Take-away:
Stop

Start

Continue

Vimana89

This one really stood out to me browsing Outerzone. This is an extremely unique plane, can't wait to see what you come up with! For full motorized effect, you could switch it to elevons only like a normal flying wing and leave the VS uncut with no rudder, or you could do 4ch elevons and rudder.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

This beast is gonna be a tricky one at least at first. I know I plan to use this foamboard, in part. The slightly larger size, and thinner profile @ 3/32" is attractive, however, it is double density and it weighs in at 115g. Same as adams ready-board.

FoamyDM

Beta Plans are completed and Printing:
FDM-Mara.BetaPlanSet.PNG
The 1st Page is the Lay-down ramp sides for the curve, and the spars. This craft was sized to use on full sheet to cover the ramp. one side has parts or all of the paper removed. The 2nd is the Fuselage. and ramp cross pieces. The other two are the tops and bottoms of the left and right wings respectively. These plans don't include any reinforcement, lightening holes (sorry 1 in each win), or any guides about paper removal (critical) or tapering. Updates as I go/experiment. I suspect a big piece of this planes success will be in lock notching, and gluing methods, (blocking, etc.)

Electronics are going to be a 3.7 300 mah 1S battery with a 9g and receiver for the rudder.
at least this is where I will start.

Attachments

Vimana89

Beta Plans are completed and Printing:
View attachment 144333
The 1st Page is the Lay-down ramp sides for the curve, and the spars. This craft was sized to use on full sheet to cover the ramp. one side has parts or all of the paper removed. The 2nd is the Fuselage. and ramp cross pieces. The other two are the tops and bottoms of the left and right wings respectively. These plans don't include any reinforcement, lightening holes (sorry 1 in each win), or any guides about paper removal (critical) or tapering. Updates as I go/experiment. I suspect a big piece of this planes success will be in lock notching, and gluing methods, (blocking, etc.)

Electronics are going to be a 3.7 300 mah 1S battery with a 9g and receiver for the rudder.
at least this is where I will start.
Very interested in seeing how this one turns out. Are you going for a glider or motorized(or starting as a glider and possibly doing a motorized version later?)

FoamyDM

I will be starting as a glider, then I'll motorize it. I have so many that are planned, (at least Beta Planned) and just need to be cut and assembled... then of course flown.

I would love to power it with a twin micros with a 3" prop to get some yaw authority.

FoamyDM

After working on the Windfreak, I learned these models tend to be Tail Heavy... so I made a Beta 2 plan set that removes board behind the CG. This should lighten it and make it easier to balance with less ballast.
FDM-Mara.Beta2PlanSet.PNG

Attachments