FTFC20 Minimoa designed by FoamyDM

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
It's 1 1/2 sheets Of board @115g/sheet x0.75 usage factor + 35g for components.
Measurements say Auw 224g
IMG_20200124_022333664.jpg
With ballast of 38g
IMG_20200124_022423356.jpg

Walden

Y'know Foamy, if all I knew about you were these maiden vids, I'd think you were as bad a pilot as I am. ;)
:p As if attempting to fly untrimmed/untested/novel RC planes were for the easy,
“Disturb us, Lord, when we are too well pleased with ourselves, 

when our dreams have come true because we have dreamed too little, 

when we arrive safely because we sailed too close to the shore...", Francis Drake.

FoamyDM

I downloaded the plans for this and I should be printing it out tomorrow! I need some more foam but other than that I am good to build another plane!
Awesome!
Don't forget your iron or sanding block. The taper is important to getting the wing section on this the match the vintage plans. Pay attention to the reverse side cuts. I did those with marking the start and ends then flipping and making the cuts.
For me, the center wing bit at the servos was a breaking stress point needing reinforcement. That is likely because I dirt napped this plane... A lot.

Other than that, my last advice is keep it as light as you can. Let me know how it turns out

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Awesome!
Don't forget your iron or sanding block. The taper is important to getting the wing section on this the match the vintage plans. Pay attention to the reverse side cuts. I did those with marking the start and ends then flipping and making the cuts.
For me, the center wing bit at the servos was a breaking stress point needing reinforcement. That is likely because I dirt napped this plane... A lot.

Other than that, my last advice is keep it as light as you can. Let me know how it turns out
I will make sure to reinforce the center of the spar. Also, what do you mean when you say reverse side cuts? And where are they? Last question, is the dotted line for score cuts? It looks like I have to score cut right down the wing but I’m not sure.

image.jpg

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I actually have a lot of questions about this one... sorry about that.
I was wondering if the lines in the picture are for removing the foam in that area. They are kind of like cross crossing lines.
image.jpg image.jpg
Edit: I actually have another question. Do I have to glue the two foam spars together and then put them in the wing?

Last edited:

FoamyDM

I actually have a lot of questions about this one... sorry about that.
I was wondering if the lines in the picture are for removing the foam in that area. They are kind of like cross crossing lines.
View attachment 158783 View attachment 158784
Edit: I actually have another question. Do I have to glue the two foam spars together and then put them in the wing?
y
Yes on both accounts

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Hi @FoamyDM
I was looking at the fuselage that I just cut out, and I was wondering how you built the nose. I’m not sure how to get the tip of the nose to close up. I even peeled off the paper there and curved it, but it still won’t meet. Do I cut off the nose piece and make it separately? Also, for the servo holder thingy in the center section, is that an a fold or a b fold?

FoamyDM

@Ketchup I'm so sorry I lost track of you comment this whole week, I think when I saw this I was camping in 20°F with the scouts. I meant to look and verify the construction for you.

I believe it was a B-fold however, both should work... if A-fold seems to work best use it. the wing will just sit 3/16" higher is all. I have the nose taped on mine really, so I must have had some gaps. Honestly it might be better served as a built up and sanded-to-shape affair.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
@Ketchup I'm so sorry I lost track of you comment this whole week, I think when I saw this I was camping in 20°F with the scouts. I meant to look and verify the construction for you.

I believe it was a B-fold however, both should work... if A-fold seems to work best use it. the wing will just sit 3/16" higher is all. I have the nose taped on mine really, so I must have had some gaps. Honestly it might be better served as a built up and sanded-to-shape affair.
I’m also sorry that this took a while to reply to. I was on a one week school trip... Anyways, I will probably just cut off the nose and make one with a foam block in that case. I will go back to look at the plane and decide on a or b fold too. Thanks!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I have another question... I was about to glue in the spar and finish the wing, but I noticed that the slot for the spar was too big at the end and too small in the middle. How did you glue in the spar? Did you have the same issue?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Just my $0.02 but I've used a TON of those linear servos in various builds and I've found them to be... well, noisy, imprecise, maybe "janky" sums it up best. I've switched to these other cheap, low voltage servos since and I've never went back:

https://www.banggood.com/1_7g-Low-V...kCh011gT7EAQYASABEgIWw_D_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

I've went back and re-built other scratch built designs that I had first built with those servos and failed, then switched to *these* servos, and I've found great success.

The linear servos are not the worst, I do have several builds that I have probably dozens and dozens of flights on with these servos, but when it comes to really picky ultra micros I find they don't have the fineness to provide stability on the smaller, lighter platforms...

again, just my $0.02...