FTFC20 Remington Burnelli 2 designed by FoamyDM and Jpot1

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Somewhere I read about you wanting corrugated look. There is I believe not only in packing material but also flooring foam that is ribbed on one side. Some sheets I have are called Selitac they measure about 48" x 36" , more underlay for hardwood floors, it's labeled as 3mm but it doesn't look that thick. The cool part of these flat sheets they have a ribbed side to them so it will bend nice one way and be more ridged the other.
Yep, it's in the plan. Awesome! I will look for it next time I'm at a box store

FoamyDM

Fashioned the landing gear.
IMG_20191206_011200100.jpg IMG_20191206_011214425.jpg IMG_20191206_011222632.jpg
I'm please so far.
I adjusted the 1" wide pod, and used a/f pack pod walls. Also put the motor set together. And widened the front hole and added a doubler. Now it should Accept both the custom pod, or the standard A/F pod..
IMG_20191204_211344918.jpg IMG_20191206_011804141.jpg
Now to test and mount the motors.

FoamyDM

Go the motors mounted. She looks great and ready for maiden. IMG_20191210_002207082.jpg IMG_20191210_002216879.jpg
IMG_20191210_002134576.jpg

Can anyone spot the defect that I should have seen coming?:geek:

Well I think I did, but promptly forgot.
The original is set to fly using b-c motors pofs with an 8" or aggressive 7" prop... Which translates to a prop I don't have.:cautious:
The 5" blade overlap. Hmm:unsure:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Go the motors mounted. She looks great and ready for maiden. View attachment 150470 View attachment 150471
View attachment 150469
Can anyone spot the defect that I should have seen coming?:geek:

Well I think I did, but promptly forgot.
The original is set to fly using b-c motors pofs with an 8" or aggressive 7" prop... Which translates to a prop I don't have.:cautious:
The 5" blade overlap. Hmm:unsure:

Looks great, I was going to say those props look pretty close to each other. I would just stagger the pods slightly so they miss each other.

How is you aileron setup working?

FoamyDM

Looks great, I was going to say those props look pretty close to each other. I would just stagger the pods slightly so they miss each other.

How is you aileron setup working?
:unsure:Good Idea.:giggle:

The Ailerons seem to be ready-freddie.
The staggering is a great way to test it... I'm gonna take a moment to see if i have a 3", they may all be on the gosling engines. l'll look, if I find them great, if not, I will have to stagger and give it a whirl.

Wildthing

Legendary member
:unsure:Good Idea.:giggle:

The Ailerons seem to be ready-freddie.
The staggering is a great way to test it... I'm gonna take a moment to see if i have a 3", they may all be on the gosling engines. l'll look, if I find them great, if not, I will have to stagger and give it a whirl.

On a different project I had staggered them and I even tried both ways to make sure no ill effects and they still pulled straight.

FoamyDM

Oh, I added craft stick end as a rudder wheel. no attached to the rudder, just to lift the tail off the ground.

FoamyDM

First Flight report:
I took two planes out this weekend to Maiden. The Prandlt -D and the RB-2. I filmed the first but never got the second off the ground.
I love this little plane. It's fun to look at. I put in a 1300 mAh 3s as far forward as I could go. I tested the system and didn't get the right motor to spool up. then the rudder servo made a whirring noise... so I unplugged it after truing the rudders. After a few restarts and pull-out the pod wiggle wires, and re-install type checks. The right motor did spool up. A quick successful taxi-ing gave me confidence, it was time to take off.
I ran it up and it took up, and climbed right into a loop to smack face-first into the ground. I moved the battery further up (as far as it would go, and tried again. (mind you elevator is level.)) and it did the same but just a hair slower. 2nd attempt to see if I can elevator some control into it, yielded a nut stripping (only barely on) crash.

I was unhappy, and done for the day. My hopes dashed. As is routine, I swore off the hobby. again. again. then reneged and just swore off planed that don't work or are untested. This salty-ness caused me to forgo flying for familial duties Sunday... Probably for the better.

by Sunday afternoon, I had thought about how to make a second attempt succeed.

add a front battery hatch for a 2200mah battery sideways. and find thinner prop hubs (I think I have a Few) so I can get enough thread on the shaft to bite the nut.
Servo Thoughts. Replace the rudder servo. (use the busted one for a 360 cam motor maybe, or a motor for a paper indoor glider.

The Prandlt-D is done. (for now)

Wildthing

Legendary member
First Flight report:
I took two planes out this weekend to Maiden. The Prandlt -D and the RB-2. I filmed the first but never got the second off the ground.
I love this little plane. It's fun to look at. I put in a 1300 mAh 3s as far forward as I could go. I tested the system and didn't get the right motor to spool up. then the rudder servo made a whirring noise... so I unplugged it after truing the rudders. After a few restarts and pull-out the pod wiggle wires, and re-install type checks. The right motor did spool up. A quick successful taxi-ing gave me confidence, it was time to take off.
I ran it up and it took up, and climbed right into a loop to smack face-first into the ground. I moved the battery further up (as far as it would go, and tried again. (mind you elevator is level.)) and it did the same but just a hair slower. 2nd attempt to see if I can elevator some control into it, yielded a nut stripping (only barely on) crash.

I was unhappy, and done for the day. My hopes dashed. As is routine, I swore off the hobby. again. again. then reneged and just swore off planed that don't work or are untested. This salty-ness caused me to forgo flying for familial duties Sunday... Probably for the better.

by Sunday afternoon, I had thought about how to make a second attempt succeed.

add a front battery hatch for a 2200mah battery sideways. and find thinner prop hubs (I think I have a Few) so I can get enough thread on the shaft to bite the nut.
Servo Thoughts. Replace the rudder servo. (use the busted one for a 360 cam motor maybe, or a motor for a paper indoor glider.

The Prandlt-D is done. (for now)
That sucks , been there a few times and for sure will be back again. I know the next time out it will make your day.

FoamyDM

That sucks , been there a few times and for sure will be back again. I know the next time out it will make your day.
I hope so. I will take this - there is TONs of lift, and MY landing gear held up very well. considering the abuse this took on the crashes (about 6), the wings held up better than I expected.

Wildthing

Legendary member
I hope so. I will take this - there is TONs of lift, and MY landing gear held up very well. considering the abuse this took on the crashes (about 6), the wings held up better than I expected.

You could probably fit 4 batteries up front and it will carry the weight with ease :)

FoamyDM

I think you just did a great job of labeling them here! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I even included a 3d assembly drawing.
I thought you accidentally posted your boyscout troops football play book.
Close, My guys are Cub scouts - much younger. You can tell because the lines wiggle and cross more, Lastly I goofed, the plan I posted with the colored lines are the plan for flag retirement ceremony, :p
or was it the smurf's panic plan:unsure::
Smurfs_Running_Wild.gif
I'll post the real RB-2 Plan assembly key later.:LOL:

This will likely see little progress until my boys go on break.

FoamyDM

I got the chance to make another attempt to get this in the air.

This flight was a limited success. But I'm pleased it flew. With little adjustments this is going to be a good flyer. Unfortunately the landing was nose first, breaking both firewalls. So it will be a moment before you see this again.

In the mean time, I am satisfied it is build-able and flyable. I will post it as a resource soon.

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Awesome build man! Unique plane for sure, love any oddball airframe with history...

Looks like she might be kinda tail heavy still. Where does she balance at?