FTFC20 Remington Burnelli 2 designed by FoamyDM and Jpot1

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Awesome build man! Unique plane for sure, love any oddball airframe with history...

Looks like she might be kinda tail heavy still. Where does she balance at?
Thank you @Hondo76251 ! History she does have. Should I get this flying more reliably, I will be sure to put in some accouterments. such as an internal camera, and a matchbox for true historic effect:
1577720501857.png
(the 1925 Essex was one the first affordable enclosed automobiles.)

Tailheavy - that is possible. after 3 years, I am still trying to figure out what Tail heavy looks like. :confused: (I've gotten better) Check the Vid @3.21, it is about a 3/8" behind the wheels. I will put some weight behind the firewalls, next flight, or a slightly heavier battery. I know I'm close.
The Flight:
Let's take apart those three seconds. First I have to gun it to taxi properly, so the motors are pulling hard. once it leaves the ground it lifts up and I adjust throttle, so I don't flip here. Then down elevator it levels out and I throttle back up. I punched back in a good amount, and it leveled out and I tried to find the down elevator that would allow me to try for more time. next, Port wingtip dipped, and it started to turn. I eased throttle and I tried to correct. first with the roll, then up elevator, but too late. I might be able to cobble together another flight before too long.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I do a ton of off the cuff scratch building, sometimes it feels more art than science! Lol I usually just wing it (pun intended) I've never put plans together like you did, I'm not smart enough! That would take me longer to do than building the plane! 😅

Just looking at the pics its a little hard to say exactly where it should be (especially with that lifting body) but I have a hunch that its probably a lot closer to the leading edge than one would think, especially after looking at the video and reading your flight description. Something with that much lift should float into the air without much drama (although a lot of bi planes and short coupled planes can be a little sensitive on the elevator)

FoamyDM

@Hondo76251 That was part of my expectation too with the CG. However, the guy who made the balsa plans showed it near halfway between struts.
Either way it is no longer backflipping.

If I didn't work with Cadd tools daily, I wouldn't draw much up either... But lunch tends to see twiddled thumbs, so instead I plan up a dream. Then I set the rest of the time trying to work toward destroying it.

rtcapo

I just found this...great work. Burnelli aircraft have always been a favorite!
I work in local broadcast television and was able to get this story to the news people...who got the Burnelli story on the air.

Although the RB 1 is very cool, and it's story unique...the CBY 7 is one I've been wanting to build for along time.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1897

I haven't had a chance to go over your plans yet.
Have you dialed in down thrust?

A later Burnelli has the engines off set so the left engine is a few degrees to the left, and the right is angled to the right. I know the attached is from a rubber powered model...but hey...I always thought it was neat.

Cool subject!

Forgive me for running on...
#BurnelliNerd

rtc

Attachments

• UB-14 TOP AND SIDE VIEW ENGINES Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 5.02.33 PM.png
    UB-14 TOP AND SIDE VIEW ENGINES Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 5.02.33 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

I've printed out the full sized plans. I will likely start the build this weekend.
Thank you for the suggestion of a bit of down thrust. I'll have to rebuild either way.

I think I have a CBY seaplane in the works too... Now that I have some wp foamboard. I should finish it up.
@rtcapo I love your enthusiasm.
@leaded50 - that's what drew me in at first.
If you get the chance, build one and let me know how it goes together. My half scale worked great. It might help to double the battery tray. I might redesign that part.

rtcapo

If you get the chance, build one and let me know how it goes together. My half scale worked great. It might help to double the battery tray. I might redesign that part.

I certainly will...but my build cue includes way too many airplanes...and a classic pickup truck.

I am subbed and will be along for the ride!

rtc

Attachments

• 20190701_192652.jpg
    20190701_192652.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0