FTFC20 SPAD XIII designed by Zephyr1

Zephyr1

Elite member
My entry into this challenge will be a Spad XIII. The initial plans call for a 30in wingspan, and that's what I am going to be doing initially. However I do plan on scaling it up to near a 40in wingspan in line with Ben's PT-17. I usually design a lot of EDFs, so it will be fun to do something new.

IMG_9769.JPG

1568259433604.png

Here are the original balsa designs:
https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=90989

My initial plans have already been made and the 30in prototype has already been cut out, so its possible I will have a maiden as soon as this weekend!

PLANS: Spad XIII.pdf

Attachments

• Spad XIII.pdf
    10.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Corbarrad

That's pretty nice.

Edit: Actually that's really, really nice. Makes me feel bad getting all critical in the next paragraph. That said the Spad XII has been on my list for quite some time and I did a whole lot of research on the plane, took lots of photos at the Dayton Museum, so while my gripes are really, really minor I can't help but offer my opinion.

Very cool use of the box frame with the skin over formers.
Maybe it's a little too round, though... have you thought of gluing the skin directly to the side walls and only doing formers for the top and bottom? Maybe score the inside of the skin to get a bit more of a crisp line between the straightish side walls and the rounded top and bottom.
Also, I have a feeling you will have to enlarge the tail surfaces to make it fly straight.

I don't want to come across as nitpicky. This is a gorgeous airplane as is. I just think it might get that little bit closer to the original if the fuselage sides were a bit better defined.

Last edited:

Zephyr1

Elite member
That's pretty nice.

Edit: Actually that's really, really nice. Makes me feel bad getting all critical in the next paragraph. That said the Spad XII has been on my list for quite some time and I did a whole lot of research on the plane, took lots of photos at the Dayton Museum, so while my gripes are really, really minor I can't help but offer my opinion.

Very cool use of the box frame with the skin over formers.
Maybe it's a little too round, though... have you thought of gluing the skin directly to the side walls and only doing formers for the top and bottom? Maybe score the inside of the skin to get a bit more of a crisp line between the straightish side walls and the rounded top and bottom.
Also, I have a feeling you will have to enlarge the tail surfaces to make it fly straight.

I don't want to come across as nitpicky. This is a gorgeous airplane as is. I just think it might get that little bit closer to the original if the fuselage sides were a bit better defined.

Thanks for the edit lol. I'm not going to be only putting formers on the top and bottom, I did consider that though. This was very much just a prototype plane. I wanted to see how the skin would fit together over my formers and the answer was not very well. So that will be worked out for the second version. And yeah, the tail is gonna be 115% minimum on the next one.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Very cool. I personally prefer the turn fighters of WWI, but the Spad XIII was an awesome energy fighter, and your model is beautiful! :cool:

Corbarrad

Thanks for the edit lol. I'm not going to be only putting formers on the top and bottom, I did consider that though. This was very much just a prototype plane. I wanted to see how the skin would fit together over my formers and the answer was not very well. So that will be worked out for the second version. And yeah, the tail is gonna be 115% minimum on the next one.
I just wanted to make sure I don't offend you. English is not my first language so I'm not always sure if I don't come across as negative...

I may also be culturally impaired because in Francnia, which is my home region there is a saying we live by:
"Ned gschimpft ist z'vill globt"
"Nicht geschimpft ist zu viel des Lobes" in plain german which roughly translates to "Not complaining is more praise than anyone deserves"

Well, the old folks at least tend to live by it and sometimes I feel like I'm getting old as well.

Zephyr1

Elite member
She looks great! Very nicely done on the curves! :D

Since you're planning on doing larger wingspan versions as well, seeing how the wing loading and her flight characteristics change between the versions would be very interesting. There's a simple wing loading calculator that I use over here: http://www.flyrc.com/wing-load-calculator/

Thanks rockyboy! I actualy have an excel file that calculates all my flight calculations for me, lol. Turns out I do have some HW that has practical use

Zephyr1

Elite member
Ok, so I attempted a maiden last night, and I was able to get it to fly for a little while. However flight controls were poor, and I think it maybe have been a little tail heavy. So I spent some time last night and this morning, and built a completely new one that looks much better and flies much better. (Maidened this afternoon)

Zephyr1

Elite member
IMG_9757.JPG
IMG_9756.JPG
IMG_9755.JPG
IMG_9754.JPG

Pics of V2!! I like this one much better, it actually flies! Increasing the tail surfaces 115% worked very well. That being said I still had it a little tail heavy, (those WWI planes have such a stubby nose) and it still wants to turn left but it's getting there.