FTFC20 SPAD XIII designed by Zephyr1

Zephyr1

Elite member
Ok, so big question now. I'm very happy with the Spad in its current form. And as a transition, I'm not sure whether I should build a larger version or build a counter to it. I was thinking maybe a Fokker DVII in the same scale so that they could be an improved WWI Aces pack. What do you guys think?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Ok, so big question now. I'm very happy with the Spad in its current form. And as a transition, I'm not sure whether I should build a larger version or build a counter to it. I was thinking maybe a Fokker DVII in the same scale so that they could be an improved WWI Aces pack. What do you guys think?
I personally like the DVII a lot more than the SPAD, so I say go with the Fokker.

jpot1

Elite member

Would love a C pack version!

Zephyr1

Elite member
IMG_9765.JPG
IMG_9766.JPG
IMG_9769.JPG

I got some sweet pictures of the Spad last night! I also got some flight video of it and I'll post that soon!

Zephyr1

Elite member
I notice you don’t have dihedral in the wings. Is this normal for biplanes? I honestly have no idea. How is the stability?

Yeah, the Spad doesnt have dihedral. Most of the German planes during the war didn't have dihedral either. British planes mostly did though. It's really not an issue though. The stability on the Spad is quite excellent. I do have ailerons, unlike the FT WW1 planes.

PoorManRC

Master member
View attachment 143879
Just maidens the Fokker DVII!
It's not moving very fast for a Maiden!! 😜😂 lol

Seriously, VERY impressive D.VII !!! 😎👋👋👋👋👋👋

I was actually considering doing a Curtiss Jenny... It would be a bit of a cheat, because the Fuse is already a "box"!! 😜😎

But that Spad is a thing of beauty! Are Plans going to be available??
Well Done! 👍👍🍻🍺🍺

Zephyr1

Elite member
It's not moving very fast for a Maiden!! 😜😂 lol

Seriously, VERY impressive D.VII !!! 😎👋👋👋👋👋👋

I was actually considering doing a Curtiss Jenny... It would be a bit of a cheat, because the Fuse is already a "box"!! 😜😎

But that Spad is a thing of beauty! Are Plans going to be available??
Well Done! 👍👍🍻🍺🍺

Thanks! Yes, I know I haven't uploaded any video yet, but I promise they both fly. Heck I've even painted the Fokker. And yes, it was a ridiculously simple box build. You should definitely do a jenny!

And yes the plans for the Spad will be available!

1572017921584.png

Zephyr1

Elite member
Plans are up! But I don't have enough time to get a more detailed build log up. That being said, it's a relatively easy plane to build so please don't be afraid to attempt it!
And I will be able to answer any questions!

usaserres

Hi Zephyr1,

I am in the process of building your Spad XIII. The wings are done but I am struggling a bit on the fuselage. Your drawing seems to be showing a fuselage that is very very short for the overall size of the plane. Moreover, you drew 7 formers but on the view of the fuselage that you are showing here, I only see 3 installed. Do you add length to the fuselage with other parts of the plane? Could you clarify please because I am having a hard tim efiguring out how you assembled all the fuselage parts. Thanks!

Zephyr1

Elite member
@usaserres you do add more length. The box fuse isn’t the full length of the plane, the rounded semi cone is. I’ve got a pretty crappy pic of the box fuse with all the formers installed. I hope this helps.
F5150822-CD6E-4A36-B60D-CE7CD2B9BABE.jpeg