The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Reserved for build 1: the flying Car
View attachment 191829 View attachment 192874
History:
Ever e before the first controlled Flight had occurred, Jules Verne introduced the idea in his 1904 Master of the World novel, people have been looking to combine the two. Then Ford made automobiles affordable to the common man, a "best of both worlds" seemed withing reach. In 1940, Henry Ford predicted the flying car was mere moments away. and in 1946 - the idea was proven.
since then many have tried a number of succeeded.
in 1949 the Taylor Aerocar was one of those successes with a successful flight in December 1949.

according to WIKIpedia, only 6 AeroCars were ever made.

The version I will make is modeled after this model:
N101D

1954 Taylor Aerocar Serial Number 3 registered as N101D
N101D (1954) is owned by Greg Herrick's Yellowstone Aviation Inc.[2][4][5] It is maintained in flying condition and is on display at the Golden Wings Flying Museum located on the south west side of the Anoka County-Blaine Airport in Minneapolis. This aircraft is featured flying overhead on the cover on the book "A Drive In the Clouds" by Jake Schultz. In December 2011, N101D was being offered for sale at an asking price of USD1.25 million.[6]

I may however Paint it up with the scheme Detailed below.
N103D
View attachment 192881

From 1961-1963 the Aerocar was operated under contract between Star Stations (Don Burden) and Wik's Air Service, Inc. It was used as a traffic-watch (AIRWATCH) aircraft for KISN (910AM) radio station in Portland, Oregon where it was flown by "Scotty Wright" (Scotty Wright was the alias used by the acting pilot of the Aerocar during traffic-watch transmissions). Several pilots provided the AIRWATCH service beginning with World War II veteran pilot Guilford Wikander, President of Wik's Air Service, Inc. Guilford was followed in order by his sister Ruth Wikander, W. John Jacob III, Wayne Nutsch[10] and Alan Maris. Scotty Wright reports Nutsch having 350 flying hours in N103D performing AIRWATCH duty. Traffic reporting was from 7:00 AM–8:30 AM and 4:30 PM–6:00 PM. During the Aerocar's AIRWATCH missions, it was painted white with red hearts[11] and had the letters KISN on the top and bottom of the wings.[12]

The aircraft was equipped with an emergency police/fire receiver for use in reporting emergency events on KISN radio stations broadcast. When flown for KISN it was based at Wik's Air Service, Hillsboro Airport (HIO), Hillsboro Oregon. On one of its more eventful flights for KISN it survived the Columbus Day Storm of 1962 without damage after its evening traffic reporting flight. Ruth Wikander was piloting the aircraft at that particular time and is credited with the successful landing during extreme wind conditions (perhaps more than 100 mph). Ruth Wikander was an active member of the 99's, the International Organization of Women Pilots. In 1962 Ruth Wikander drove the Aerocar as an automobile while trailering the wings in the annual Portland Rose Festival parade. The Aerocar was an integral part of KISN Radio and can be seen at stumptownblogger.com[13] along with photos of famous rock musicians and KISN DJ's of the times​

Who else is doing this - Many over the years.
http://carplane.com/ or https://www.aeromobil.com/ or https://terrafugia.com/ are some companies with current working prototype among many others.

Flying Car Sources:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/how-to/g1038/a-brief-history-of-the-flying-car/
https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/23/our-self-flying-car-future/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_car
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1954-TAYLOR-AEROCAR-236076

Specifications
  • Crew: one
  • Capacity: 1 passenger
  • Length: 21 ft 6 in (6.55 m)
  • Wingspan: 34 ft 0 in (10.36 m)
  • Height: 7 ft 6 in (2.29 m)
  • Wing area: 190 sq ft (18 m2)
  • Empty weight: 1,500 lb (680 kg)
  • Gross weight: 2,100 lb (953 kg)
  • Fuel capacity: 23.5 gallons
  • Powerplant: 1 × Lycoming O-320 air-cooled flat-four, 143 hp (107 kW)
  • Propellers: 2-bladed Hartzell HA12 UF, 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m) diameter
Performance
  • Maximum speed: 117 mph (188 km/h, 102 kn)
  • Cruise speed: 97 mph (156 km/h, 84 kn)
  • Stall speed: 50 mph (80 km/h, 43 kn)
  • Range: 300 mi (480 km, 260 nmi)
  • Service ceiling: 12,000 ft (3,700 m)
  • Rate of climb: 610 ft/min (3.1 m/s)
Plans:
These prototype plans are based on the ones put together by Fiddler's Green paper models. I took very small versions of the image to make a rough CAD drawing and projected them onto the foam board trace the image and cut it out.
V1
View attachment 192885
Based on what I learned from putting this together, is that this can be done far simpler. I am Happy with this wings.
V2
(Coming Soon)
Build:
I then started folding the models together and seeing how they came together as paper molds differently than foam board.
2/4-2/6
No it's not a helmet, this is the coop top:
View attachment 191686
Then I focused on the empanage which is where the tricky business happens.
View attachment 191687 View attachment 191688
You can see that the tail sits up in an angle and the elevators look somewhat tilted as well as you can see the v brace that I put in on the underside of the elevator.
The next question is how to get the rudder in View attachment 191689
I then devised something thick enough to fit in the rudder itself
View attachment 191690 View attachment 191691
Mount the core:
View attachment 191692
Then put the runner on pushing it flush with the empanage
View attachment 191693
Now to add wheels, and figure out how to mount the motor, and wings.

2/16
Figured that an F-pack motor can slide of the tail with some slit adjustment. This makes it tail heavy, but sturdy and 🔏 be with the proper thrust angle (according to the drawings.) Having the motor the tail heavy. But I found 2-2200 3S puts the balance at the spar of the wing.
2/17
Put in some servos. Installed the servo horns ready. Last step is the wires. The wheel hubs are looser and roll Better
View attachment 192853
View attachment 192854

Still to do:
1. Push rod,
2. battery selection
3. Wing struts and tie downs
4. Color
2/18
Added pushrods and finished the electronics, added battery and made a model in the transmitter wing struts aren't needed by aren't a bad idea. Color after the maiden.
View attachment 193086 View attachment 193087
I taxi tested around the. Foyer. Very little rudder control on the ground.
2/19
Time for a maiden flight test. Is this worth pursuing?:

3 things before we start. It was windy. It has been raining for weeks. Rudder effect is iffy
She flew! But not long enough to see how well before the motor stopped. End result - 4 pieces.
View attachment 193089
Takeaways:
I need a V2.
in the short time I had with her in the air, it was a good flyer, I was trying to trim the elevator to Neutral when the motor and power stopped. No much to do then. It is repairable though.
I’m sorry man, I feel your pain! It definitely looks promising though.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I have updated post 2 & 3.

I am running out of time. As I may not be home this weekend. I better select the next one carefully.
The HRC Texan skin are almost here.

FoamyDM

I’m sorry man, I feel your pain! It definitely looks promising though.
Thank you. I took a moment to find out what may have happened. The banana plug may have come out. I have glued it back together and added some tape. I may have made a better motor mount. I suppose I will see.
IMG_20210222_005833346_MP.jpg

FoamyDM

It looked like it had a lot of power and is definitely capable of flight! Can't wait to see it take to the skies again!
I agree, me too.
the motor mount and thrust angle may be the culprit, to a degree. Elevator was responsive, I was trying to get it aloft enough to trim it.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Time’s running out! It just sunk in that I only have complete two builds so far! 😬 I’m going to make it happen though, I hope!
I thought the same thing Tuesday. Unfortunately/fortunately I will be away at the beach so I am not sure what I will be able to do.

FoamyDM

Ok! Great news today.
And some less good news.

Less good first. I am spending a weekend away. So I'm not sure I will get 4 finished. Technically I have 3 done. So one left should be easy... But I may be booked until Monday 🤠.

Great news is I have rebuilt the flying car, decorated it, and flew it!
IMG_20210225_012957603.jpg

Also I finished the F-22 tested it, painted it and Maidened it as well! I have footage of both I am working on. ( Below is the F-22 by @Grifflyer)
IMG_20210225_122956297_HDR.jpg

Look for updated posts 2&3 and 4

OliverW

Legendary member
Ok! Great news today.
And some less good news.

Less good first. I am spending a weekend away. So I'm not sure I will get 4 finished. Technically I have 3 done. So one left should be easy... But I may be booked until Monday 🤠.

View attachment 193724
Also I finished the F-22 tested it, painted it and Maidened it as well! I have footage of both I am working on. ( Below is the F-22 by @Grifflyer)
View attachment 193725
https//youtu.be/VIGcC5zOwxs
How did they fly?!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Ok! Great news today.
And some less good news.

View attachment 193724
View attachment 193725
Whew that was a sketchy launch! I don’t know how that got up into the air haha. How did it feel once it was flying?

FoamyDM

Whew that was a sketchy launch! I don’t know how that got up into the air haha. How did it feel once it was flying?
You and @SquirrelTail want to know.... The F-22 needs speed to launch like most EDFs. But it was FUN. And responded well. I was doubtful at first that the controls would be enough. It hit ground effect which kept it up. Even twisted a bit from my const methods. It was responsive and fun.

The AeroCar took a little bit to get off the ground. (Loosing a wheel each time), but it was responsive in aileron and elevator, but almost not there in rudder. The first flight needed a fullback on the low setting. The second flight I adjusted to zero out at full back stick from earlier. Then flew again with medium rates.

It has two 2200 batteries and flew great. It was gentle and responsive as a bank and yank.

When I simplify it, I hope you give it a chance!