FTFC21: Build-ruary by Matagami Designs (Build Skill: 4 , Pilot Skill: 2.5 )

Matagami Designs

Master member
Got the wing formed today. Went about it differently than the build video. I used techniques similar to how I made the mini nemesis wing. ( sort of an EA/armin wing) Just a single crease at the LE and remove the paper behind it till 60 - 75% chord or so and form each side a bit on the table before folding it over. I put in two basswood spars and am thinking I will put the printed wingtips on it. Anyone try these? I am also remembering from the last time I made one of these how much of a pain it is to rubberband the wing on the way Andre's has it hidden on the inside. I would like to do something different if anyone has any good ideas. Right now I'm thinking along the lines of how Ben Harbor secured the wing on the b 52 build but this might be over kill maybe it's ok to just put the rubberbands on the outside....
20210212_232825.jpg
20210213_000715.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Got the wing formed today. Went about it differently than the build video. I used techniques similar to how I made the mini nemesis wing. ( sort of an EA/armin wing) Just a single crease at the LE and remove the paper behind it till 60 - 75% chord or so and form each side a bit on the table before folding it over. I put in two basswood spars and am thinking I will put the printed wingtips on it. Anyone try these? I am also remembering from the last time I made one of these how much of a pain it is to rubberband the wing on the way Andre's has it hidden on the inside. I would like to do something different if anyone has any good ideas. Right now I'm thinking along the lines of how Ben Harbor secured the wing on the b 52 build but this might be over kill maybe it's ok to just put the rubberbands on the outside.... View attachment 192254 View attachment 192255
One thing I’ve started doing it installing some nuts into the plane then using bolts through the wing to secure it. It’s not the easiest or fastest method but it gets the job done well and it eliminates the pesky rubber bands.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Those spinners and cowlings you're making really add to the look of these planes!

I'm looking forward to seeing what paint scheme you bless that Edge with, it's already very nicely finished.

This cowling was designed by @Aslansmonkey https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4691082. I think my 'p40' sticker accents it nicely because the inlets and outlets look like eyebrows and nostrils on an angry plane. :D I was thinking of painting it olive drab but I wanted to try something different and always liked the look of the pre WWII navy planes so its a bit of a mashup.

As far as the edge I have no idea what direction to go on paint. I hate to make it too pretty since I'm well aware its only a short matter of time till I have stupid fingers and ruin it. :)

Good work here. The edge looks great! And I can't wait to see them fly!

Thanks! Should be fun when it happens.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Cut out the parts for the 64mm EDF F117... it's going to be a tight squeeze. Just doing dry fit right now and thinking what the build process will look like to make things go together easiest. 1st time I have designed for an EDF so I'm sure there will be some hangups and lessons learned along the way.
20210221_223916.jpg