FTFC21: Build-ruary by Matagami Designs (Build Skill: 4 , Pilot Skill: 2.5 )

Matagami Designs

Master member
@The Hangar Simple Stick dubbed the "Angry Stick" https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/simple-stick.125/

A fairly straightforward build but I managed to complicate it, especially when I glued the tail on crooked. I spent about an hour trying to undo this but only managed to glue it back on crooked again.o_O The only other issue I had with this was that in order to place the CG properly I had to shift the wing back 1" I used @Aslansmonkey 3d printed cowl: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4691082 and a spinner that I had designed for my master series P-38 build. I also designed some 3D printed landing gear fairings that work with 0.125" wire. The wire is actually recycled from my 1st FT Edge landing gear, I just clipped off the top and CA'd them in place. The paint is inspired from Pre-WW2 navy aircraft and also includes the P40's iconic shark mouth! I rate the build experience a 2/5 very simple build and only a few modifications required. The flight performance is also a 2/5 very enjoyable and easy flight characteristics for a good trainer.

1615159500929.png

I really enjoyed this build and it fly's great If you plan on building this do not rush it! I was trying to go as fast as I could and that is when I messed up and glued the tail on crooked. Watch your CG I believe a few others had to move their wing back as well. Also if you have the choice go for the C pack! Mine is running on the old B pack motor and 2200mah battery and I think it would be that much better with a bit more power on tap!

Attachments

• Angry Stick Decals.PDF
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Simple stick Landing gear fairing.STL
    552.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P38spinner.STL
    804.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Matagami Designs

Master member
FT Edge https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/ft-edge.22/

This build is a bit more complicated especially if you do it as a scratch build. (unless you have a needle cutter:cool:) For my build I followed Andre's build guide and didn't make any changes except the power system and landing gear. For the motor I used a DYS 3548 1100Kv motor and I have it running on an 80amp ESC and am using two 3s 2200mah batteries in parallel. The landing gear is the medium universal landing gear kit but is no longer sold on the FT store. :( I have it attached by using a a 3d printed insert that hold #6 nuts into the standard foamboard part with the C-fold. I also designed 3d printed clips to hold the rubber bands. i find this to be a little easier than Andre's method. The landing gear pants are also 3d printed and are currently designed to use a 1/4" bolt as an axle. I rate the build experience a 3/5 a bit more complicated to make but the needle cutter is doing the tedious bits which would other wise make this a 4/5. The maiden flight experience for this was 4.5/5, It has plenty of power and requires complete attention, I nearly lost it in the woods as I lost orientation as I got far out and struggled to bring it back. I think I need to get used to flying this before it is more comfortable and needs a good paint scheme to help maintain orientation. I am also concerned I am pushing the wing loading further than where I want to be for my standard flight regime.
355344_e816cd3dcf5e4be8b1d228357e62f2e1 (2).jpg

20210307_142322.jpg

Sorry the video doesn't show much but it almost got away and was a struggle to bring back in one piece!o_O If you decide to build one, build light, and use the C - Pack motor! I continue to have difficulties with this plane but the best flight I had was the maiden on my 1st build when it was a C pack motor on my maiden flight with a 2200mah battery. Hopefully some bright paint and a warmer calm day will help me improve my time with this one.

Attachments

• Edge landing gear insert.STL
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
  • rubber band clip.STL
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Wheel pant.STL
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Matagami Designs

Master member
@Namactual Dat Rhino https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/dat-rhino.36276/post-361042

I found this awesome little plane on the forums thanks to @Grifflyer and @PsyBorg when it was mentioned on Griff's F-22 thread. The build is pretty simple and very well documented in @Namactual 's build guide. The only alterations I made were with the tail surfaces and an extra bend on the wing root. Rather than joining the stabilators on with plastic hinges I just made them laminate on top of the aft fuselage and did a standard dtfb hinge. I also designed a 3d printed motor mount and missile pylons for the wing tips as well. The paint is based on an aggressor scheme for a hornet to represent the su-34 fullback!:cool:https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/McDonnell-Douglas-F-A-18B-Hornet/4582343 for build experience I will rate this 3/5 a good build with plenty of documentation and not too many alterations necessary the only minor issue I noticed was the wings started to warp down when i glued the two halves together. I will also rate it a 3/5 for flight experience. It is fast and nimble running the older F-pack motor E-max RS2205 2300Kv and a 3s 850mah pack.

20210307_141216.jpg

Yeah so I broke the nose off on the 2nd flight (Stupid Wind:rolleyes:), but this is built into the design so that it is easier to repair. Honestly the break took all of the blow so I just need to glue the two pieces back together.

If you build this plane I recommend following the plan to the tee and if you don't have the plastic hinges just laminate the control surfaces on top like I did. Be sure to look ahead at the way the electronics are mounted though as I struggled routing these to the bottom after everything was together.

Attachments

• MOTOR MOUNT.STL
    115.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Wing tip pylon.STL
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Matagami Designs

Master member
64mm EDF F117 - https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/64mm-edf-f117.213/

So far I have designed about half a dozen DTFB planes but never tried to design an EDF. Well this changes that. This design started off as a prop slot F117 which had mixed results but overall good performance but had some weird pitch/throttle coupling. Possiblely an issue with thrust line? Unfortunately flight testing on this version ended rather abruptly after I lost orientation and sent it into the woods after about half a dozen flights. Fortunately the pieces were easily recovered.

The plan going into modifying this for an EDF seemed pretty straightforward but I basically ended up redoing all the internal structure and when the EDF showed up I realized it wouldn't fit so I had to go back and scale everything up another 5% (It still barely fits).

For build experience this was 4.5/5. Even though it was already designed in CAD and cut on the needle cutter there is a lot of work chamfering the foam to make the wing design. Also there was a lot of alterations along the way to get things to fit better (sometimes at all). For Flight experience I would rate this 3/5 it handles well, goes fast, and seems to even slow down well too!
20210307_144425.jpg

I hope to have plans out this week so you can try to build this too!

Attachments

• 20210307_144340.jpg
    20210307_144340.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Building of the simple stick is underway. Also got some goodies for other projects that will probably have to wait so I can rework the CAD a bit.
View attachment 191221
Awesome, looks good! Just fyi @Ketchup discovered a small issue with the plans - rear fuselage cover needs to be adjusted where it folds over the top crease of the fuselage. I fixed the plans but I need to update the resource still. Here’s a pic of what the part should look like: 6D6CA922-C9A8-4244-A88B-D39AA946BA4A.jpeg

Matagami Designs

Master member
Awesome, looks good! Just fyi @Ketchup discovered a small issue with the plans - rear fuselage cover needs to be adjusted where it folds over the top crease of the fuselage. I fixed the plans but I need to update the resource still. Here’s a pic of what the part should look like: View attachment 191223

Hmmm.. I'm kind of just winging it at the moment. Excuse the pun. Is there a build guide? I don't think there is anything unusual but if you have something? Either way I think I can make something that will work. :geek:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hmmm.. I'm kind of just winging it at the moment. Excuse the pun. Is there a build guide? I don't think there is anything unusual but if you have something? Either way I think I can make something that will work. :geek:
I have all the parts to a new one cut out and I’m planning on making a build video. However it’ll be a while till I finish and edit it. It’s a pretty straightforward build though.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Wing servos installed and wing is sitting better now. Only issue I have is that I must push the wing back by about 1 inch to get it to balance with the 2200 3s. I know I did a bit extra in the tail so maybe that explains why. I also printed @Aslansmonkey 's cowling. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4691082 I will probably use my p38 spinner since it's about the right size. @The Hangar how far from the start of the fuselage is it to the LE of the wing for you? Any recommendations for rates to start off with? Tomorrow I will try to finish this off with a modified battery hatch and then see if i cant figure out some landing gear. Then it's off to the paint shop for this one. 😁
20210205_234804.jpg

Matagami Designs

Master member
Battery hatch in place and designed and printed up some landing gear. I will reprint them with a bit more infill though as they will likely snap on the 1st landing. Found that the new props I have wont work with the spinner. I got apc 10 x 4.5 multirotor props instead of the 10 x 4.7 slow fly that was on the old simple scout. The hub on these multirotor props are alot beefier.
20210207_213727.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Battery hatch in place and designed and printed up some landing gear. I will reprint them with a bit more infill though as they will likely snap on the 1st landing. Found that the new props I have wont work with the spinner. I got apc 10 x 4.5 multirotor props instead of the 10 x 4.7 slow fly that was on the old simple scout. The hub on these multirotor props are alot beefier. View attachment 191751
Looks fantastic! (y)(y)