FTFC21-Seaplane Design and Build by Scotto, F9C-3 Sparrowhawk

Scotto

Elite member
SeaSparrowhawk.jpg

I did not create this picture of the plane, but I did put the float on it. Im a little obsessed with this plane. It was a parasite plane from a zeppelin! I just think that is so cool and it looks good too. It was operated by the Navy but it never had a float, although it did operate a little off of a flat top ship, so it had rugged landing gear and a tail hook. But the wheels were not necessary most of the time when it was operating from the zeppelin, so they were taking them off inside the zeppelin mid flight and putting on a fuel tank. Anyway, I was thinking IF the program would not have ended tragically, maybe a float would have been developed that could go on and off as needed.
I made a plan for this already (resource link) but it its not full "Master Series" style. More like half-aster style. So Im going to try to take it the rest of the way and add a more or less removeable float, obviously.

Last edited:

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Now THERE is a challenge for the FT guys.

The full scale from your image is on display at the Udvar-Hazy Smithsonian location down the road and when I take friends there this one is always on the list I like to show people. When I first saw it on display I had always figured landing planes in/on dirigibles was just some 1950's fantasy future like Crimson Skies, but these lunatics actually did it :)

If you need reference shots let me know :)

Scotto

Elite member
Cool! Ya that place, the Akron airdock, and the zeppelin museum on Lake Constance are all at the top of my bucket list. I actually found this plane one day trying to stay awake by looking at google images of Crimson Skies planes. I was the same way "hold on... what? They did that in real life?!!" That's actually how I found flitetest to because of FoamyDM's planes and localfiend's devastator!
I bought this dvd a while ago. I highly recommend it. Amazing footage of the fearless men and women that built the Akron and Macon working from 100+ foot wooden ladders and video of planes "landing" on the trapeze. The trapeze may sound crazy but they make it look much easier and safer than a surface ship bucking in the waves or even the ground, really. If you missed the hook, you just fall away and try again. The zeppelin is going at about the plane's stall speed no matter which way the wind is blowing, so its very gentle unlike the dramatic arrestor cable on a ship. I could go on for hours, sorry.:geek::sleep:
If you need reference shots let me know
Thanks for the offer. There are a bunch of pictures of it online, and I'm not sure I have the patience to get too detailed. Especially since I crash so much.:p

Scotto

Elite member
Ive made some progress lately. All the parts for the plane are cut out other than the float parts. Both the wings are done. I found one mistake on my plan- I left a box on that was just to measure off the CG mark. Of course Im not following the plan exactly, but trying.
Notes on wings- finished chord top 6 11/16. Glued straight scrap foam to table to keep that chord and more rounded Le. Bottom 5 3/16. Cut tab off spar side of servos. Used window screen roller to soften foam. Didnt do score cut next to LE. Skip the wood spar next time and just use an aluminum center section. Leave all but the score cut on the ailerons till last. Glue the break at the root first by breaking back, fill with glue, dry fit spar. Hold shape on tips with tape while spray glue dries.

Attachments

• 20210706_015202.jpg
    20210706_015202.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210705_021224.jpg
    20210705_021224.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210705_021043.jpg
    20210705_021043.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210706_015408.jpg
    20210706_015408.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Scotto

Elite member
Well I havent gave up on this yet. Ive been crashing and repairing and also got distracted on a few chuck gliders, but I made a little progress. I think Im doing this all the hard way and I keep changing my mind on little things that throws off other things around them. Ive redone all the formers a few times now and will probly do it again before its all done. Having fun though. Looking forward to building the float.

Attachments

• 20210729_022104.jpg
    20210729_022104.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 0