FTFC21 - Seaplane Design & Build by Leaded50, Pegna P.c.1 - 1921 Schneider Cup Racer

leaded50

Legendary member
Pegna P.c.1 was a racing seaplane proposal from designer Giovanni Pegna for the Italian contribute in the
Trophy Contest. (Pc =Pegna corsa (Race)) The engine and propeller of the Pc 1 pivoted up to clear the water for takeoff, landing, and while operating on the water’s surface.
Pegna’s racing seaplane designs focused on minimizing the aircraft’s frontal area, with sleak streamlined designs.
No sidefloats, it was planned lay low enough in water that wings would stabilize it on water.

This is a intruging weirdo designed plane, with its pivoting motor/prop, whot suits me perfect to build!
I was "lucky" after search, and some email,s to get a scanned copy of a "3d" drawing. Together with a few other drawings (eg, as a Peanut size rubber plan) i think i have enough to build it. Pivoting motor planned by a slow moving servo, perhaps linear? Its a build who will give my creativity on solutions on what can be done, or not. Eg. it seems like ailerons was planned against outer ends, but it has a thin "racing" undercambered wing... servos would be "misplaced" in wing.. perhaps need forget ailerons and just make it 3ch with rudder/elevator.

Approx length planned 670mm
Wingspan 750mm
ZTW 2212 1450kv motor, 35A ESC. 3-4S 1800mAh battery

(PS, i hope the brushless motor can take some water...:ROFLMAO:)

Piaggio Pegna Pc1.jpg

Last edited:

Test Fly RC

Elite member
Pegna P.c.1 was a racing seaplane proposal from designer Giovanni Pegna for the Italian contribute in the
Trophy Contest. (Pc =Pegna corsa (Race)) The engine and propeller of the Pc 1 pivoted up to clear the water for takeoff, landing, and while operating on the water’s surface.
Pegna’s racing seaplane designs focused on minimizing the aircraft’s frontal area, with sleak streamlined designs.
No sidefloats, it was planned lay low enough in water that wings would stabilize it on water.

This is a intruging weirdo designed plane, with its pivoting motor/prop, whot suits me perfect to build!
I was "lucky" after search, and some email,s to get a scanned copy of a "3d" drawing. Together with a few other drawings (eg, as a Peanut size rubber plan) i think i have enough to build it. Pivoting motor planned by a slow moving servo, perhaps linear? Its a build who will give my creativity on solutions on what can be done, or not. Eg. it seems like ailerons was planned against outer ends, but it has a thin "racing" undercambered wing... servos would be "misplaced" in wing.. perhaps need forget ailerons and just make it 3ch with rudder/elevator.

Approx length planned 670mm
Wingspan 750mm
ZTW 2212 1450kv motor, 35A ESC. 3-4S 1800mAh battery

(PS, i hope the brushless motor can take some water...:ROFLMAO:)

View attachment 198721
The Brushless motors should be able to work when there wet even if they are submerged!

Can't wait to see the Model!

leaded50

Legendary member
i dont intend to soak the motor, but at the placement, some spray, or suddenly mishap by landing, a wave can splash on it... rest of electronics isnt as open for possible water, since not mount in the front, but inside fuselage and would be treated best way. :)
I will anyway try make some "splashguard" for the motor up front though.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
i dont intend to soak the motor, but at the placement, some spray, or suddenly mishap by landing, a wave can splash on it... rest of electronics isnt as open for possible water, since not mount in the front, but inside fuselage and would be treated best way. :)
I will anyway try make some "splashguard" for the motor up front though.
Like a panel that slides down to block splashing from going deep in, when the motor lifts.

leaded50

Legendary member
Like a panel that slides down to block splashing from going deep in, when the motor lifts.

I suppose i will build it as a splashguard under motor too , to the top moving part. And that when lowered fits against a similar shaped inside the main fuselage hull . But somewhere the motor should get some cooling.... and possible when on water, a wave could get high enough to reach motor, its a sleek fuselage, and without any wingfloats... the wing tips it self would be much the "stabilizing element"... then the distance to motor from waterline would decrease... even if would try build it as the front fuselage lays higher on water, than do on the picture.

leaded50

Legendary member
slowly.. with adjustments. I believed i took all measurements correct.... well, when started put together. 2 formers was not correct :(.
Such it is by building from scratch... (and needed medicine yesterday/tonight that possible affect some?)

The front pivoting part, is gonna be build later, i need a "base" to shape things correct. Thats reason for putted on the top formers on front.

DSC_0811.JPG

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
slowly.. with adjustments. I believed i took all measurements correct.... well, when started put together. 2 formers was not correct :(.
Such it is by building from scratch... (and needed medicine yesterday/tonight that possible affect some?)

The front pivoting part, is gonna be build later, i need a "base" to shape things correct. Thats reason for putted on the top formers on front.

View attachment 198822
is already looking nice. you did the cad work 2 times faster than I do. what speed!

leaded50

Legendary member
Thanks.
Cad? nope, here its just measures after printed out scale the "3D" drawing in the size i wanted it And reworking to make parts as plans on the go. I have a 3D drawing... when sized to what size i want... its juts measures.

Ive buildt 30 (?) planes, mostly in Master style last years, Cad eg. is just unnecessary, just extra work.(for me)
I see reason for use, if are unsecure on gettting parts correct, similar on both sides eg. But that can be measured, and anyway its the build it self, who decides get straight.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
Oh that's gonna be beautiful. Really sweet lines.
why do you think i wanna build it ? ;):ROFLMAO: The style is fantastic clean, "art deco".
Its the "easy" things that done yet though....
It was about time i made an Italian plane....:)

Last edited: