FTFC21 - Seaplane Design & Build by Leaded50, Pegna P.c.1 - 1921 Schneider Cup Racer

leaded50

Legendary member
some places we can se i made "splashguards" in openings, as here in "raw" without paint around the pivoting servo "compartment. Its also at sideopening on the hatch from TE of wing to cockpit. I used just strips in 2mm depron, but could also used the paper eg who you tear of on side on foamboard for curbed shape, just treat it against water-. Point is to rise a little the openings from waterline, and when a little flexible they stays inside hatch eg and push against eg hatch, making it harder for water to splash inside. It wouldnt stop water, if you "drown" or try having the joy as a U-boat with the plane, but minimize it. Splashes wouldnt go in though, since then water need creep under and up.
This parts is not taken with on plans, since its just to fit where feel it would be smart using it. I see mines is approx 20mm high, and approx 10-15mm over edges on fuselage.

Attachments

• str.png
    str.png
    215 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
whoah works nice, but slow. how would you transition in mid flight without it stalling?
it cant be working too fast, its then problems by transitions comes. When suddenly changes abrupt, you will not have time to change in control. By slower movement, you have time to change in control. I choose this servo and setup, because that servo was slower.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
it cant be working too fast, its then problems by transitions comes. When suddenly changes abrupt, you will not have time to change in control. By slower movement, you have time to change in control. I choose this servo and setup, because that servo was slower.
oh. ok. now I understand. I was just worried about it stalling from the transition

leaded50

Legendary member
oh. ok. now I understand. I was just worried about it stalling from the transition
abrupt changes at thrustline by transition would/could make problem on stalling yes. You learn in flying how to deal with a stall... if fast servo here, you got one more movement, than by normal planes, possible suddenly stall effect to handle... slow servo, you get more time dealing with it.

leaded50

Legendary member
you could install a retract sequencer that would make any servo work, in case this one ends up not being able to handle it with the motor turning.

heck if you have a arduino you could wire one in for the cost of wire...
a retract sequencer does slow down(delays) the time before servo function, NOT the travel of the servo. (ive tried before) Ardunio controlled, i dont know. But.... here i dont need it anyway, its as i wanted it as it is now :) Its even stated in that FT article: "The speed of opening cannot be controlled typically"...
And this servo, with motor on, and other servos moving, handle functions together without problems.

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
my solutions on the pivoting front, how it looks ready in function. If looks good into "the gap" you will see a white "connector" from the servoarm and up. Thats a pushrod lock, for the pushrod from the servoarm,and up to the buildt in pushrod connector in upper front fuselage. Round motor firewall is also glued in at that top of fuselage, and all covered by thin plastic rearwards against the former where hinges are.. Lower part of fuselage got a shape where motor eg fits into, when pivoting the top down into hull. How this made in measures depend on what motor you are using. I used a ZTW 2212 motor, in thinner plastic sheet shaped & glued in place.

DSC_0841.JPG

DSC_0842.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
the videocamera used on water taxi testing cut after 2.5 minuts today (sad enough :cautious: ) and cut the Pegna test. Both the H7Y and the Pegna racer was tested.
The Pegna did function quite good, the pivoting front functioned well, but was set at too low endpoint (prop touched water) After resetting at TX this was no problem. The rudder who dont get in water just affected by air push from prop, wasnt "superb". here a also water rudder part would be nice for better handling on water. The floats was needed for stabilizing on water, and will be in plans.
It raised the front nicely with correct stance at water by a little speed, and took off very easy. I had setup too little elevator movement down, for getting time to adjust to the transition by lowered pivoting front. It rasied nose further and flipped in air without chance to correct with elevator...... before laying at the back (at water...) . AND, the elevator servo wasnt fastned as good as should. All by max 25% throttle :LOL:.

At least its tested on water, and was up in air.. (a little!)

Last edited:
the videocamera used on water taxi testing cut after 2.5 minuts today (sad enough :cautious: ) and cut the Pegna test. Both the H7Y and the Pegna racer was tested.
The Pegna did function quite good, the pivoting front functioned well, but was set at too low endpoint (prop touched water) After resetting at TX this was no problem. The rudder who dont get in water just affected by air push from prop, wasnt "superb". here a also water rudder part would be nice for better handling on water. The floats was needed for stabilizing on water, and will be in plans.
It raised the front nicely with correct stance at water by a little speed, and took off very easy. I had setup too little elevator movement down, for getting time to adjust to the transition by lowered pivoting front. It rasied nose further and flipped in air without chance to correct with elevator...... before laying at the back (at water...) . All by max 25% throttle :LOL:.

At least its tested on water, and was up in air.. (a little!)
You tell a good story but without a video how do we know it happened? :LOL: