FTFC22: Dawn Patrol - Nieuport 28 by NM156 (aka Captain Foul)

NM156

My entry for the FTFC22 Dawn Patrol.

Based on the Nick Ziroli plans on Outerzone

This will be built entirely from hot wire cut EPS using DevFuseFoam and DevWingFoam on a home built hot wire cutter. The control electronics are custom made and running DevCNCFoam on a Arduino Due.

Edit: Multiple post edits correcting that this is built from EPS (Expanded Polystyrene i.e. Styrofoam ) not XPS (eXtruded Polystyrene, i.e. the blue or pink type foam)

Attachments

• Nieuport28-DevFuseFoam.png
    Nieuport28-DevFuseFoam.png
    512.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Nieuport28-DevFuseFoam2.png
    Nieuport28-DevFuseFoam2.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
OH yeah. Definitely like to see this one. I just ordered the 1/3 kit from HK just because they had it reduce to a price I couldn't resist. I'd figure it will be my retirement project in about 8yrs.

NM156

Note that above I use both a bow and a spring tensioner with the hot wire depending upon the angle of the cuts.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Oh wow, how long has this taken you so far? Looks like you're gonna be churning out a whole plane over just the weekend. Very much looking forward to how this one turns out! :D

NM156

@cyclone3350
The HK Nieuport looks sweet. I retired a few years ago, I just play in my shop all day now!

@mastermalpass
The actual cutting takes a few minutes per slice. As long as the angles don't exceed the dimensions of my cutter, I'll cut a stack of about 6 at at time. I would estimate that the entire fuselage time was only 30 minutes or so. Add another 30 minutes of prep to cut the blocks to size before cutting. But nice part is the machine does the work while I'm off on other things.

I'm considering this specific build my prototype and won't get all the details. I'll likely build another one (or more) before FliteFest.

The Fopster

Master member
My entry for the FTFC22 Dawn Patrol.

Based on the Nick Ziroli plans on Outerzone

This will be built entirely from hot wire cut XPS using DevFuseFoam and DevWingFoam on a home built hot wire cutter. The control electronics are custom made and running DevCNCFoam on a Arduino Due.
I have no idea what any of those words mean, but they sound impressive! Looking forward to seeing whatever comes out of your arduino factory!

NM156

The fuselage is now dry and ready for a light sanding, touch up and prime.
The cowl has been designed and sliced, and now running on the 3D printer.

Next up is cutting the foam core wings. I plan on covering them in the same method used on the fuselage.
Newsprint saturated in diluted white glue and corn starch. I may try adding some WBPU to the mix this time as well.

For a spar I plan on using a pultruded carbon fiber strip .070" x .437". Similar to this. It is totally overkill, but I still have a few meters left over from a full scale project years ago.

I don't want to bog everyone down in technical gobbledlygook , but I decided to go with an S8036 airfoil on the Nieuport, since this build
will be stand-off or semi-scale. A scale undercambered wing (or pretty much any full scale airfoil) just isn't as effective on a model.

I'm not an aeronautical engineer but have researched things such as Reynolds numbers and the fact that air (like water and fire) doesn't scale.
This is easier to imagine with water.

The S8036 airfoil and many others were designed by Dr. Selig specifically for model aircraft. (low Reynolds number)

Yankee2003

That wire cutting looks amazing. I am jealous. I might have to go with a much simpler set up and try to cut out a wing.
Not on the build I am doing now but
I love the depth and experience this group of builders have. I had no idea building with foam would be this involved.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
The fuselage is now dry and ready for a light sanding, touch up and prime.
The cowl has been designed and sliced, and now running on the 3D printer.

Next up is cutting the foam core wings. I plan on covering them in the same method used on the fuselage.
Newsprint saturated in diluted white glue and corn starch. I may try adding some WBPU to the mix this time as well.

For a spar I plan on using a pultruded carbon fiber strip .070" x .437". Similar to this. It is totally overkill, but I still have a few meters left over from a full scale project years ago.

I don't want to bog everyone down in technical gobbledlygook , but I decided to go with an S8036 airfoil on the Nieuport, since this build
will be stand-off or semi-scale. A scale undercambered wing (or pretty much any full scale airfoil) just isn't as effective on a model.

I'm not an aeronautical engineer but have researched things such as Reynolds numbers and the fact that air (like water and fire) doesn't scale.
This is easier to imagine with water.

The S8036 airfoil and many others were designed by Dr. Selig specifically for model aircraft. (low Reynolds number)

I can not believe I have not seen this thread before! Good job man! You my kinda dude… 😎

NM156

@KN4IUU Thank you! Love the sig!

Today's update. All of the wing cores have been cut. I still need to cut and shape the wingtips.

PXL_20220214_143600592.jpg

On schedule for today is the empennage. I think I'm going to use balsa sheet, but need to be careful with weight and balance. Maybe some lightening cutouts...

I'll import the PDF of the plan into Lightburn, and trace over the line segments into nice splines. From there I'll laser cut the parts.

I found an old FMS 3948 760KV and 60A ESC out of an Edge in the parts bin and stuck on a 13x8 prop. Tentative, need to determine AUW before committing to it. (Should probably see if it's still functional too!)

The Cowl is some PLA that was already in the printer. (I know, bad me, humidity - but I'm in the middle of an Ohio Winter)
I may re-do it in some ApolloX I have on hand.

FYI - ApolloX is a modified ASA based 3D printer filament with improved mechanical properties and is suitable for 3D printing mechanical parts and outdoor applications with high precision and zero warping.

PS It still tends to warp on single perimeters :(

NM156

Hey!

Thanks for checking in!

What has happened in the last few months?

1. Tickets for FF2022 procured
  2. Campsite for FF2022 procured
  3. Volunteered and accepted
  4. Distraction...

The N28 has been on hold, but I expect to hit it hard again very soon. I still anticipate participating in the Dawn Patrol!

The reason? At the end of February I had this crazy idea to build a pull behind camper/plane hauler and have it ready in time for FF2022.
All from scratch, source the metal, weld the frame, and build it out from there.

And now I'm 98% finished. A few odds and ends and I'll call it complete.
It took WAY longer than expected. So much that I've only been out to the field flying twice this year.

The countdown to FF2022 continues!

NM156

NM156

OK, finally making progress again!
Still a lot to do, but I'm determined to have her ready in less than 19 days!

The 3D printer has been busy while I work on the airframe, Engine, Pilot and Machine Guns completed. Next up are the wheel hubs. Not sure if normal TPU printed tires will be in the weight budget.

Today I'll prime and sand, cut in the control surfaces, and work on the cabane and inter-plane struts.

The last issue will be access to the battery and radio gear. Biplanes are generally a PITA for easy access.
The best idea I have right now is to create a power/gear pod (ala swappables) and just slide out the entire assembly. We'll see how than pans out...

PXL_20220602_194956778.MP.jpg

PXL_20220602_195010262.jpg

NM156

NM156

The days grow shorter and the nights are getting long
Feels like we're running out of time...

Time to check in again. I haven't spent much time on the forum as I would like. There are some great builds on here that I should take the time to comment on!

I'm coming down to the wire on finishing this due to all of the the other camping prep, finishing 2 combat planes, and many other obligations before FF2022. The quality on this is going to suffer because of it, I just need to get it done!

So this morning I double checked all of the incidences before I mount the upper wing. This is going to be a single assembly with fixed wings for simplicity. I'm thinking about 1 1/2 degrees positive incidence of the upper wing, but still undecided.

PXL_20220609_131536672.MP.jpg
With 1/2 degree of down thrust on the firewall the lower wing was right at zero.

PXL_20220609_133216138.MP.jpg
Horizontal stabilizer was also at zero.

PXL_20220609_132029564.jpg
Preparing to attached the inter-plane struts now.

PXL_20220608_211004435.jpg
Test fitting everything.
No time for fancy wheels, just 100% LW PLA.
Still more paint and finish to do!

Going with the power pod concept. This is some scrap lightweight ply that I had on hand.
I'm going to extend this out to hold the battery also.
PXL_20220609_135911382.jpg
A period correct engine, probably not aircraft correct, but at least the correct number of cylinders. Downloaded from thingiverse and 3D printed. (Same with the machine guns, maybe not even period correct!)

PXL_20220609_135917052.jpg
The cowl is a friction fit, and four screws hold the pod to the fuselage.
To change a battery, I'll need to remove the prop, cowl and the 4 screws. A bit of work, but easier than fabricating an access hatch.
In the upper left is some silver thread that I'll be using for the strut "wire" bracing. It will likely be a functional component of the structure.

So, it's getting there... This is going to be a 15 foot aircraft. It'll look decent at 15 feet!
Form follows function - at this point I just want it to fly well :giggle:

Fighting the good fight...
NM156

NM156

Made some good progress today!

PXL_20220609_200013664.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220609_195940401.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20220609_200003960.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20220610_000517598.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20220610_000524377.PORTRAIT.jpg

The "decals" are just laser printed on regular office paper and cut out with an blade,

Airframe is complete minus servos and linkages. I can't get it to balance with a 2200 so I haven't mounted anything yet. I have a 3200 arriving tomorrow.

Unfortunately it'll probably be Monday before I get back to this. Getting new tires on the truck tomorrow, Saturday attending a graduation party and the rest of the squadron needs some attention before our club's fun fly Sunday.

NM156