FTFF 2014 was great EXCEPT . . . The offical(ish) constructive criticism thread

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Did not make it this year but a thought on how to deal with power issues. Renting a 100kw trailer generator was probably in this years budget, due to the better then average kickstarter funding. Don't know if there is anything left over for next year but 1 or two of these probably would have solved the power issues and been quieter then most small portable generators. These typically run about a grand a week in rental fees but I think what problems they solve becomes more then worth it.

Plan on bein there next year,

-Rubicon

That was discussed, and I think it will be in the works for next year.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
That was discussed, and I think it will be in the works for next year.

As well as getting an on-site electrician instead of a voulenteer electrical engineer . . . so I don't get zapped again next year :black_eyed:

. . . hopefully . . .

I love nachos

Great event! I've been to events all over the country and the laid back family feel of Flite Test is nothing I have experienced before. Great job there. My only real advice would to maybe have a sign (or a few signs) explaining pilot etiquette and safety advice. The amount of people running out on to the runway and into the field unannounced was crazy to me! I witnessed one gentleman who flew his entire flight standing in the middle of the runway. I realize many of the pilots were newer and maybe not used to a "club setting" so I think just some rules posted or even a safety officer here or there to keep an eye out would be a good idea. I would hate for there to be some type of injury at such a great event.

Sorry...

We certainly learned a lot this year. Next year we'll put together actual registration packets (the guys don't know it yet, but we're doing it.) and volunteers will have the shirts (yes, plural. I hope to get multiple shirts for the days people agree to work) they asked for included with their packets.

I had a "great" schedule, which I promptly threw away the first day. Next year I want to have a giant white dry erase board with the schedule on it. This should make things much more clear for everyone.

Monkey, you kicked a bunch of boo-tay out there, so don't sweat it! The only problem I actually had without the shirt, was when other volunteers didn't know I was a volunteer when it was time to be relieved! LOL!
A dry erase board is a GREAT idea! You can change it on the fly, and volunteers would just have to try to keep an eye on it.
IF we could get the cell phone service really solid, text message alerts would ROCK!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
As well as getting an on-site electrician instead of a voulenteer electrical engineer . . . so I don't get zapped again next year :black_eyed:

Somebody make sure to not let Craftydan near any electric wires. That includes LiPos.

Yes, that means only gliders next year :p

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Somebody make sure to not let Craftydan near any electric wires. That includes LiPos.

Yes, that means only gliders next year :p

I'm good with gliders ;)

Yes. Very.

I hate the feel of 60hz. Not the first time I've felt it, but I always hope it's the last :p

The power setup was safe when we were done, but while we were still wiring up boxes, someone plugged them in. Completely my fault -- I know better, I should have tagged-out the plug -- but like most accidents, we were in a hurry.

When Thursday hit we had only vague ideas what the build zone would become and no time left to acquire all we needed. Now we have an idea what it can shape out to be, and good concepts of what we need. Time spent planning for next year will mean we've got time to wire everything up, power it all properly and have a skilled tradesman on-site to keep us running :)

From what I've heard, Josh is planning 3 tents next year -- 2 for standard builds, one for giant builds (a team competition *might* be involved, *maybe* with assigned spaces -- details to follow if it happens, but it may just be 3 standard build tents . . . or more :eek: ) . . . and who knows? With three tents, perhaps Josh will get a chance to join us in slathering on Hot glue ;) Like everything else, that's all tentative (pun intended).

Those are the positive details of the future, for the moment . . . I'll post some of my "room of improvement" a little later. Keep posting what you've seen we can improve :)

Team_Monkey

We only talked a couple times but I knew there was a reason I liked you Dan. I'm a registered EE myself.
I forget who makes them but I've seen ready to go, GFCI protected power distribution hubs on construction sites. You feed them 60+A and it has a few 20A circuit breakers for the individual receptacles. I was going to suggest that for the event but didn't want to seem pushy or "know it all".

Call Ohio Caterpillar, or I can call my Generac guy, for a generator next year. Ohio Cat is HUGE in this area but the Generac folks make a very nice product too that doesn't cost as much.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
We only talked a couple times but I knew there was a reason I liked you Dan. I'm a registered EE myself.
I forget who makes them but I've seen ready to go, GFCI protected power distribution hubs on construction sites. You feed them 60+A and it has a few 20A circuit breakers for the individual receptacles. I was going to suggest that for the event but didn't want to seem pushy or "know it all".

Call Ohio Caterpillar, or I can call my Generac guy, for a generator next year. Ohio Cat is HUGE in this area but the Generac folks make a very nice product too that doesn't cost as much.

Dang . . . would have been fun to geek out more with ya. Glad I could shake your hand and chat a moment or two, but so little time. As others had mentioned, it was just too short ;)

Now's the time for suggestions like that. At the festival, the suggestion would have been appreciated but forgotten in the blur -- wouldn't surprise me if that actually happened more than once. Now we've got time to think it through to look into getting the right equipment/plan/procedure.

7AC

Maybe next year...

It looked to me as if there were a lot more tent campers, and that those who tent camped had more children and youngsters with them than those in the motor homes. But access to vendors, food, sound system, and most important...the build tent was closer to the motor homer's. That may have been driven concerns about which part of the flightline would support heavy vehicles and which part wouldn't. But if the "target audience" is really families and kids it seems that future parking assignments should take this years experience into account.

TTMR

A leaf on the wind
Dan, you are spot on with 60hz, just feels, well wrong. Not something I come in contract with often though working mostly with DC systems.

earthsciteach

It looked to me as if there were a lot more tent campers, and that those who tent camped had more children and youngsters with them than those in the motor homes. But access to vendors, food, sound system, and most important...the build tent was closer to the motor homer's. That may have been driven concerns about which part of the flightline would support heavy vehicles and which part wouldn't. But if the "target audience" is really families and kids it seems that future parking assignments should take this years experience into account.

The RV locations were, as you said, driven by the weight of the vehicles. They were parked at that end of the field so they wouldn't have to cross the Furey's lawn. They would have torn it up real good given the rain that we had.

I suspect that there will be more vendors of all types next year, as the inaugural event was such a success.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
@Craftydan: Come to Europe and enjoy the different feel of 50 Hz... ;)

PS: ...but 230 V.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Dumbest one I ever did was touch the inside of a hot PC power supply. Never do that. Not even once. I think they are made specifically to kill humans

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
One thing I think we did poorly in the build area was establishing and communicating ground rules. only had a few:

- Shoes required
- Prop or battery on your plane (never both)
- Soldering/hot-air only at specific stations
- Charge only at the charging table
- 1C charge rate max, and unplug your charger when your done

We *might* need more rules (like "clean up after yourself" . . . suggestions?).

On the whole a simple nudge was more than enough to get people to see how they;d be safer or better neighbors but we need to figure out how to communicate the rules so we don't end up telling people they've broken a rule they didn't know about . . . the first step toward becoming a rule nazi, IMO.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
One thing I think we did poorly in the build area was establishing and communicating ground rules. only had a few:

- Shoes required
- Prop or battery on your plane (never both)
- Soldering/hot-air only at specific stations
- Charge only at the charging table
- 1C charge rate max, and unplug your charger when your done

We *might* need more rules (like "clean up after yourself" . . . suggestions?).

On the whole a simple nudge was more than enough to get people to see how they;d be safer or better neighbors but we need to figure out how to communicate the rules so we don't end up telling people they've broken a rule they didn't know about . . . the first step toward becoming a rule nazi, IMO.
Post the build tent rules throughout the tent. Then if you have to "correct" anyone, a simple pointing towards the nearest should be sufficient to keep the tent fun and safe.

bitogre

I might also help if we make sure all the volunteers know the rules. I knew about all but the "Soldering/hot-air only at specific stations" (I knew about the station for soldering but thought it was more a guideline for using a nice soldering iron and not an actual rule) and the "1C charge rate max". I would not have been surprised if other helping the the build tent knew even fewer of the rules.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
That goes with the "didn't know what the build area would become" -- I was the only one formally assigned to the build area, so there was no schedule , and no briefing as new folks came on . . . and that's the cumulative list. Only rule we'd figured out by Friday morning was "shoes required", because the tent installers had broken some bulbs -- never quite sure all the glass got picked up.

Might all be good excuses why the ball was dropped, but good point -- communication needs to hit the volunteers first. Don't think this was hte only place that happened, but it was an issue here.

I'll lobby for signs, including posted rules, and lobby to add the build zone/charge station to any "what to expect" vid. Also, if I get roped back into this, I'll need to be more proactive with new volunteers coming online (as would anyone who would take on this job next year).

Any other creative ideas to pass the rules along would be welcome, as would any missing sensible rules.