FTFF 2017 92" Ryan NYP

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looking excellent! Thanks for all the detail photos - I'm picking up new building ideas and tips like the dremel rabbeting for a real wooden servo cover. I've been doing glue in and cover with paper which is great for something quick to toss in the air, but sucks for achieving pretty or easy maintenance / control rod attachment.

Tench745

Master member
Looking excellent! Thanks for all the detail photos - I'm picking up new building ideas and tips like the dremel rabbeting for a real wooden servo cover. I've been doing glue in and cover with paper which is great for something quick to toss in the air, but sucks for achieving pretty or easy maintenance / control rod attachment.

My pleasure. None of these ideas were things I came up with, just gleaned from every build thread I can get my eyes on. That and Keith Sparks, Building With Foam book.

Tench745

Master member
I'm now down to less than 60 days to complete this build. For those of you that know the story of the Ryan NYP/ Spirit of St Louis, you'll know that she was designed and built in 60 days. I believe it was 800 hours of engineering and approximately 3000 man hours in her construction. I just have to button up a model. This should be easy, right? ;)

Crazy Goats

I'm now down to less than 60 days to complete this build. For those of you that know the story of the Ryan NYP/ Spirit of St Louis, you'll know that she was designed and built in 60 days. I believe it was 800 hours of engineering and approximately 3000 man hours in her construction. I just have to button up a model. This should be easy, right? ;)

Sure, why not?;) Wow I am soooo impressed by this build. It looks awesome already, and has some very interesting techniques.

Tench745

Master member
Ten days left to build.
To do list:
- Make strut fairings and install
- Make h-stab struts and install
- Painting markings
- Figure out cooling for motor and ESC. (I could use some help with this one)
- Install dummy engine and finish painting it
- Mount ESC
- Sheet metal cowling?

Current weight: 122.25 oz. (7lbs 10.25 oz or 3465.73 grams)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
SOOOO looking forward to seeing this. Looks like the weight is about the same as the Bugatti.

Tench745

Master member
6 days left
She won't be finished, but she should be flyable. Darn that "work" think adults have to do..

IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG

Tench745

Master member
One day left to build.
Priorities:
Paint all markings
Glue up dummy engine
Realistically, unless I took tomorrow off from work, even those won't be finished before it's time to leave for FF East.

Tench745

Master member
I am currently feeling iffy on a maiden for this plane at FF. It will be there, and I will be finishing some things up on it while I'm there. If it all comes together the way I hope, she will fly at FF, but I'm not making promises yet.

Tench745

Master member
Time for a photo dump. I got the dummy engine assembled and installed at FF East. Also managed to get some pictures with the racers.

IMG_0441.JPG

Making the incision for the cowl/dummy engine.
IMG_0443.JPG

Done
IMG_0444.JPG

Cowl former
IMG_0445.JPG

In situ.
IMG_0446.JPG

Wheel collars
IMG_0447.JPG

Overhead window
IMG_0449.JPG

First cylinder
IMG_0450.JPG

All cylinders rough-fit
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG

Final assembly of dummy engine
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0466.JPG

My new band name: Spirit and the Racers
IMG_0487.JPG

My favorite shot:
IMG_0472.JPG

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Amazing job, looks absolutely spot on to the real bird! Bravo on the build Tench, she's certainly a beauty. If I didn't know any better looking at your photos, I'd swear it's a built up balsa model.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
This really is a spectacular model! I had a chance to sit down and relax while the nose art was hand-painted. It was SO therapeutic to watch it being done. I hope to see it in the air soon.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It was so impressive to see in person! Love the detail and design work you put into her, and the hand painting is just superb!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Beautiful plane, excellent craftsmanship! Something to see in pictures and quite a delight in person. Well done!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I just caught up with this for some reason. I echo every sentiment here. Just superb attention to detail.

Did you ever fly it or get a video?