FTFF 2017 92" Ryan NYP

Tench745

Master member
I just caught up with this for some reason. I echo every sentiment here. Just superb attention to detail.

Did you ever fly it or get a video?

No flight yet. I don't trust the OrangeRX in it and I never buttoned up the electronics. I also let my AMA membership lapse this year, so no club field to fly from either.
If I can knock enough rust off over the summer, I might re-up and maiden her. Big IF though.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I was here having a Re-looking at your wheels. Thank you BTW. It is the other end of the summer, was there enough rust knocked off?
Did this stunning bird every fly?
I imagine near 'cuse it is becoming a bit too cold, to do much. Let us know.
Was the majority of the covering and stringers paperless DTFB, or was that just the skinning? because there are a lot of elements I wish to use, but I like the strength and stiffness of the DTFB with paper...

Tench745

Master member
I was here having a Re-looking at your wheels. Thank you BTW. It is the other end of the summer, was there enough rust knocked off?
Did this stunning bird every fly?
I imagine near 'cuse it is becoming a bit too cold, to do much. Let us know.
Was the majority of the covering and stringers paperless DTFB, or was that just the skinning? because there are a lot of elements I wish to use, but I like the strength and stiffness of the DTFB with paper...

As I'm wont to do, I've shelved this project for now. I flew very little this year and it's spitting wet snow almost every day now, so a bit late to start up again.
The Spirit will probably sit on my plane rack until I get tired of whatever I'm working on and need a distraction. It's a disappointing end to the story, but in my mind it's just a hiatus. I'm currently too focused on learning the skills needed for my next project, building a full scale Corben Junior Ace. I have a build thread for that somewhere around here too...
The whole of the build was paperless DTFB, except where plywood was used for structural loads (LG mounts, wing mounts, servo tray, tail skid, and motor mount). It made for a very light aircraft given the size, but as I have yet to even do an engine run-up in the plane I can't attest for it's strength long-term.
I believe just about everything in this build could be done pretty easily with the paper on, when skinning I'd probably remove the paper from the inner surface to ease bends.
The paperless DTFB bends easier than the paper-on board so the skin has a weird semi-rigid feeling to it. More stringers and/or fuselage formers probably wouldn't be a bad idea for anyone attempting a build of this size with this technique.

Tench745

Master member
The museum I work for on Saturdays has a 1/7 scale RC Spirit someone donated that has clearly never been flown, so I have a weekly reminder of the project I put on hold.

Because of that I took the Spirit off the shelf today to see how she's doing and where I left off on the project if I ever want to start in on it again.
I did my first motor runs with a prop on today to see how things went. I only used a 3S and didn't feel comfortable taking it up past about 1/2 throttle indoors. I think the prop needs balancing and I wonder about somehow mounting the firewall more firmly to the ply structure that holds everything else. The ESC was starting to get warm, so I suspect over the course of a flight it would get pretty hot inside the fuselage.

To do:
Fairings for the shock and wing struts
H-stab support struts.
I'm thinking the ESC should mount externally about where the carburetor would go on the real Spirit.
Magnets or something to hold down the center section.
Mounting plate for the power switch

I'm going to make the power switch mounting plate today. No idea if or when I'll get to working on this again.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Progress is progress mate. You got further on something then I did today. I did however manage to actually LOOK at some of my unfinished projects or repair jobs in the que.

Tench745

Master member
Poked at the spirit a little more today.
I put a second face on the slots the spars slip into on the formers. Now they are true boxes and not just a C-channel. I feel better about the long-term strength of this solution.
IMG_1745.JPG
While I was playing with the wings, I threw the flight battery in and checked CG. It looks like I'm sitting just about on the aft CG with the battery as far back as it will go. Plenty of room to move the battery forward, so I should be alright as far as CG goes. Current weight is ~129 oz

Gear fairings were glued up as well. more work to do on these, but they are now well-begun.
IMG_1746.JPG IMG_1747.JPG
I noticed some flex in the firewall former so I epoxied in some horizontal supports that should help stiffen things up a little.
IMG_1749.JPG
And last, but not least, I cut a hole in the lower cowling to mount the ESC and then boxed in the area internally for added stiffness.
IMG_1750.JPG