FTFF East 2017 International Air Races: Rules and Registration

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
FFIAR.png

Here it is...

With Flight Fest coming in just 5 months I am coordinating what will hopefully be a fun event. AIR RACING! These are pylon-style races with two separate races, one for speed and another for endurance. There will also be a time for an exhibition flight with no racing involved.

Furey Cup​

If you think you have the twitchy fingers, nerves of steel, and the need for all-out raw speed this one is for you. Its a pure race to first at completing 10 laps at a total distance of 2.5 miles. Carnage may ensue but high-impact craters are more likely than the standard hoping for a mid-air in the typical combat situation.

Bixler Trophy​

Just like Josh Bixler, its time to squeeze every electron out of those batteries. Be the last in the air but don't get lapped by that pace plane! Puffed batteries will be the result of this race to see who can last the longest.

Static Display​

Before the competition begins you can display your custom speed demons for onlookers and showcase your own creation. Every participant is encouraged to attend this to show off and spark some interest. Keep a photo journal so that others can look at how you built it while talking about strategy for your race!

Registration​
Each pilot registering must include their name, airplane model, and event selection in the following format:

Joshua D. Orchard
Exhibition and static display
Bugatti 100p
No spotter​

You may change the airplane model or race up until the close of registration. Registration will close on 01 July 2017. This is necessary to formulate whether or not heats are required due to safety concerns for the pilots and spectators. This is a highly attended event and we have time to plan for safety.

Airplane models for the races may only be selected from the design-off challenge. This includes EVERY model in post number 2 of that thread. Designers can still complete their designs and make this an even better event!

Airplane models for the exhibition flight may be ANY racing-themed aircraft from ANY period. Fantasy aircraft included!

Pilots should also include a spotter in their registration but if you do not wish to race but volunteer to be a spotter you may. Please indicate your intentions clearly.

The official rules and instructions are in the attached PDF. Please read and let's get this Flight Fest to be the FASTEST one yet!

Attachments

• Air Race Rules.pdf
    199 KB · Views: 52

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!!!!!

Dan Crews
Exhibition, Static Display, Bixler Trophy (pace plane)
Beck-Mahoney Sorceress
Spotter: earthsciteach

The March of progress is rising -- Ima gonna RUN YOU DOWN!!!!!

BTW, if you need to change details in your registration post -- like the "TBD" I have for my spotter -- you can always go back and edit your post.

Last edited:

Fidget

Awesome!
The scale version of my build (Curtiss R3C) has landing gear. Will there be a good spot to take off from the ground, or should I plan on a hand launch? Either way is fine, but i might leave the gear off if we're just hand launching. That would be one less piece to pick up if I were, perchance, to crash.

Alan Harzman
Exhibition, static display, Furey Cup
Curtiss R3C
Spotter TBD

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Ahhh Yeahhhh! No mAh restrictions on the Furey cup! I know what I'm doing :)

Carl Lydick
Furey Cup and Static Display
Caudron c460
Spotter earthsciteach​

I've got one of those monster Tacon Bigfoot setups that nerdnic runs in his speed ships. 10x10 and 4000 mAh 4s should give me plenty to cover 2.5 miles basically flat out with plenty left in the tank for missed pylons and for a go around or two for landing.

It will be a bit before I can get started on the build but I'll go ahead and put it out there now :p

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Never really left, just couldn't find the time to finish the plans. I'm still running a busy schedule, but now I have two hours off of my school day so I have a bit more time to work on stuff.

I'm looking forward to flying with everyone again!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Edit: I'll comment on my attendance status later, but due to a conflict I have to withdraw my entry in the race.

Ben

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Assuming I make it to the event, let me know if you need a spotter. I'm not flying in the competition but can be dragged in as a volunteer for you.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I probably need a few breaks to fall my way, but tentatively:

Jeff Pyatt
Scratched

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
This is going to be Awesome!!!

I'm super excited and honored to welcome Wilmracer and PsyBorg to team Caudron!! Vive la France!

For my entry;

Jon "RockyBoy" Pruett
Exhibition Flight, Static Display, Furey Cup & Bixler Trophy (assuming she's doesn't crater in an earlier event :) )
Caudron C.460
Spotter Psyborg! (unless I crash out before the race, in which case we'll both spot someone else :black_eyed:)

Last edited: