FTFF West 2017 International Air Races: Rules and Registration

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
FFIAR.png

With Flight Fest West coming in just over 2 months I am coordinating what will hopefully be a fun event. AIR RACING! These are pylon-style races with two separate races, one for speed and another for endurance. There will also be a time for an exhibition flight with no racing involved. You will notice that I am mirroring Willsonman's FF2017 East Races as much as possible(With his permission). This is to keep as much continuity between the events as possible.

Furey Cup

If you think you have the twitchy fingers, nerves of steel, and the need for all-out raw speed this one is for you. Its a pure race to first at completing 10 laps at a total distance of 2.5 miles. Carnage may ensue but high-impact craters are more likely than the standard hoping for a mid-air in the typical combat situation.

Bixler Trophy

Just like Josh Bixler, its time to squeeze every electron out of those batteries. Be the last in the air but don't get lapped by that pace plane! Puffed batteries will be the result of this race to see who can last the longest.

Static Display

Before the competition begins you can display your custom speed demons for onlookers and showcase your own creation. Every participant is encouraged to attend this to show off and spark some interest. Keep a photo journal so that others can look at how you built it while talking about strategy for your race!

Registration

Each pilot registering must include their name, airplane model, and event selection in the following format:

Tim Kelley
Exhibition, static display and Furey Cup
Laird Super Solution
Have Spotter​

You may change the airplane model or race up until the close of registration. Registration will close on 14 April 2017. This is necessary to formulate whether or not heats are required due to safety concerns for the pilots and spectators. This is a highly attended event and we have time to plan for safety.

Airplane models for the races may only be selected from the design-off challenge. This includes EVERY model in post number 2 of that thread. Designers can still complete their designs and make this an even better event!

Airplane models for the exhibition flight may be ANY racing-themed aircraft from ANY period. Fantasy aircraft included!

Pilots should also include a spotter in their registration but if you do not wish to race but volunteer to be a spotter you may. Please indicate your intentions clearly.

The official rules and instructions are in the attached PDF. Please read and let's get this Flight Fest to be the FASTEST one yet!

Attachments

• FF 2017 West Air Race Rules.doc
    51.5 KB · Views: 30

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Post saved for additional Info

Contestants :

Ben Harber
Exhibition, Furey Cup, Bixler Trophy, Static Display
Folkerts SK3
Have spotter

Liam Batanides
Edge 540 ( Exhibition )
Have Spotter

Jeff Pyatt
Folkerts SK3
Spotter TBD

Tim Kelley
Laird Super Solution
Have Spotter

James Harward
Exhibition
Howard dga-3
Have spotter

Eoin Cunningham.
Exhibition, static display, Bixler Tropy, and Furey Cup
Caudron C460
Have Spotter

Alan Barton
Laird Super Solution
Have Spotter

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Wow, I didn't expect anything so formal, but that's awesome! I might have to pressure my dad a bit more to come along and spot for me. :p

Ben Harber
Folkerts SK3
Have spotter (my dad!)

Last edited:

Liam B

Oh, right...

Liam Batanides
Reno P-51 Strega Mustang
Have Spotter

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Oh, right...

Liam Batanides
Reno P-51 Strega Mustang
Have Spotter

Hi Liam, Glad you are going to join us. Just so everyone is clear, you can fly any Pylon themed racer in the exhibition race, ( with spotter of course ), However, only those aircraft built from the Contest are eligable to fly in the Furey Cup and Bixler Trophy races.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I think I would really like the 2 pylon configuration. Watching videos of even the big expensive ones, it just seems like it would be a more comfortable way to race.

Liam B

Ok, so I unfortunately won't be doing this. I just ran out of water proof foam, and probably won't buy more until Flite Fest.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Ok, so I unfortunately won't be doing this. I just ran out of water proof foam, and probably won't buy more until Flite Fest.

Build one out of the regular foam. It will last through the races.... that will be worth it. ( unless you try to occupy the same airspace at the same time as another aircraft. ) :D

Liam B

Ok. Painting will be a hassle, but otherwise I don't see why it would be too hard. Oh, I'll be doing an Edge 540 instead, by the way.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Ok. Painting will be a hassle, but otherwise I don't see why it would be too hard. Oh, I'll be doing an Edge 540 instead, by the way.

Just to be clear, that aircraft will be okay for the Exhibition race, but to qualify for the other races it must be one of the designs from the build contest. ( see rules on first post.)

Glad you are going to join the fun! :D

Tim

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Jeff Pyatt
Exhibition
FT Mustang/Ft Racer
Spotter Upgrade Recruitment Underway

Edited: Participant is a scratch for the featured races.

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Couple of questions.

(1) Do we know which day the event will take place at FF West? Just trying to figure logistics to ensure DamoRC Jnr can be there to spot or, better yet, fly!

(2) This one may seem dumb (apologies in advance) but do we need to follow the plans and builds provided by each designer for their plane? I love all of them but I'm not sure I can match the build techniques in all of them.

Thanks in advance

DamoRC

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Couple of questions.

(1) Do we know which day the event will take place at FF West? Just trying to figure logistics to ensure DamoRC Jnr can be there to spot or, better yet, fly!

(2) This one may seem dumb (apologies in advance) but do we need to follow the plans and builds provided by each designer for their plane? I love all of them but I'm not sure I can match the build techniques in all of them.

Thanks in advance

DamoRC

Hi.
(1) I am working on the day(s), times of the events with FT. I will post the official times when we get it nailed down. Sould have those soon.

(2) As long as it looks similar to one of the builds, I'm Okay with it. There are a couple of them that are easier builds then others. I would definitely not recommend the Super Solution this close to FF West.

Tim

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks and understood. As you said, Super Solution is not an option in a month. I watched some of the build video last night. Wow! What a build.

DamoRC

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
A couple of updates

1) For the Bixler Trophy race, the Pace Plane will be the FT racer, otherwise known as Ripslinger.

FT Planes.JPG
For those that don't know, the FT racer is on the left.

2). The Fite Fest West schedule now has the times of the events listed. The Static display will be Friday evening.

3). Please remember to bring hard hats for you and your spotter. They are a requirement to race in any of the races.

4). If you don't have a spotter, we will try to help you locate one. ( with 500+ people already signed up, I'm sure that will not be a problem.)

5). Come prepared to have a LOT of FUN!! :D

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Can I participate in the exhibition race if I didn't take part in the design off?

Yes, anyone can participate in the exhibition race as long as they have a Racer themed aircraft, ( warbird, golden age , etc. ). Pilot briefing attendance , hard hats, and spotters are required.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Thanks for posting additional info here. I hadn't noticed the races on the schedule before!

Also, update: since my dad has decided to come with me, I've got a spotter! :D