FTFMM Challenge - "Fat Albert" C-130 by DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
What is it about a pile of Plane parts that's so appealing?

Nice Progress DamoRC.

Thanks! Yes, there is something sweet about seeing a pile of parts and the potential they hold for a finished plane.

Updated the build post with the latest progress (fuse, tailfeathers)

Getting there.

IMG_3330.JPG

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Finally got back to this. Updated the build post with the re-make of the fuse (yep, I had to re-do it), assembling the nacelles, and making a new wiring loom.

Can anyone say "Mandelbrot"?

IMG_3276.JPG

DamoRC

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
haha that brings back memories of what we used to call in school "spaghetti lab" where we would have to make wire harnesses for larger projects or custom test fixtures at work.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
haha that brings back memories of what we used to call in school "spaghetti lab" where we would have to make wire harnesses for larger projects or custom test fixtures at work.

Yep - aka a rat's nest!

Made a lot of progress last night and today. Finished up most of the wing mount, installed wheels and wheel arches, and finished the nose. I have had to move onto post #4 to continue the build because I have hit the 50 picture limit per post!

Guess I am about 75% done. Last piece tonight was finishing the nose.

IMG_3309.JPG

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
More good progress added to the build post.

The wing is finished and nacelles installed, as are the tailfeathers and nose wheel.

It looks like rain here this weekend so I am going to sneak out to try to maiden her tomorrow before finishing the cargo door and the paint job.

IMG_3325.JPG

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
She flies!

Had her up twice today. A little tail heavy for the maiden but nothing too dramatic. Last few pieces to do include a serious tidying up of the rats nest that the wiring has become, get the cargo door working, and then paint.

The vid is really short, just showing the launch and a little flying.

DamoRC

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow that maiden went smooth as butter. Congratz on a solid build. The paint REALLY makes it a stand out machine. That yellow is bright as anything I have seen on a plane and the dark blue contrasts really well with it. Over all I would say this one is a keeper. Expect people knocking on your door for plans with this one for sure.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great job DamoRC. :applause:

this was/is a quality thread and great project to follow.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks Guys!

@Morgan - these are the paints I used, two to three light coats with a couple of minutes in between to dry off and then a final heavier coat.

IMG_3347.JPG

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Quick update. Made a set of decals best I could from pictures on the internet. These were printed on the home printed and "glue-sticked" in place. Will include the decals in the plans (whenever I get around to posting them). The cockpit windows were done using a sharpie. Because the nose is not really shaped to scale, the windows look a little awkward I think (plus there are some missing).

IMG_3354.JPG
The guy I built this for flew it on his radio today and it did not go as smoothly as the maiden. Not 100 percent sure why that is but we will re-check his radio settings against mine and see if we can get it running smoothly next weekend.

DamoRC

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Quick update. Made a set of decals best I could from pictures on the internet. These were printed on the home printed and "glue-sticked" in place. Will include the decals in the plans (whenever I get around to posting them). The cockpit windows were done using a sharpie. Because the nose is not really shaped to scale, the windows look a little awkward I think (plus there are some missing).

View attachment 106213 The guy I built this for flew it on his radio today and it did not go as smoothly as the maiden. Not 100 percent sure why that is but we will re-check his radio settings against mine and see if we can get it running smoothly next weekend.

DamoRC
I think the windows look alright, and the whole plane itself looks amazing!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
WOW!

That is a beautiful build of a beautiful bird. Great job as always Damo!

Thanks Namactual!

Tim shot some really nice footage of the plane on the weekend - some really great close up shots in the air. You can see she seems to be a bit twitchy though,

DamoRC

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks Grifflyer!

Plans now attached to the bottom of the first post.

DamoRC
DamoRC,

Thanks for sharing the plans. You did an awesome job! I have a question about the full-size plans. When I open the PDF, there are 40 pages, but only the first page has parts on it. I just wanted to confirm that all the parts for this build are on that first page. Thanks again.