FTFT20 All Wing Wonder by Vimana89

Vimana89

Legendary member
A compound/double delta!
1566495908118.png

1566495919164.png

Vimana89

Legendary member
After having bad experiences with the T-Tray, I slapped together the red prototype in one of the above posts. Figured I'd try it before announcing interest in it . First couple launches were totally bad, I had CG issues and other things, but I made adjustments and got her flying well enough. There are some issues where I've had weird stalls, even leading to crashes. The most common cause, I've noticed, is banking too sharply while not having enough speed/throttle. This plane is kind of finicky, but a lot could just be my piloting, and flying so much RET I'm not used to planes actually stalling when I do bad flying habits. If I pay attention, level her out, don't over-control, and give enough speed in turns, this little delta flies very nice(y).

Video of the prototype coming soon. Don't worry, the 1.0 will have a nice nose box and through-wiring, as opposed to a two piece motor mount with no tabs and everything taped along the top of the wing. All that was just to see if this design flies, and if it flies like that, I know it will fly when I clean it up and improve it.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Some thoughts I had were adding winglets and/or a taillet. I really like the slimmer, sharper nose of the original, but I'm worried that the original was for a control line, and a tractor prop hanging off a skinny pointed nose like that would create a lot of torque roll, that's why I have a flat "sawed off" nose 5" wide like my prop diameter. Was that a good move, or did I over-correct, and would have been fine with the pointy nose?

Piotrsko

Master member
Haven't seen where pointy noses affect torqe roll, that is more an aspect ratio /inadequate rudder area response. IMHO, NEEDS pointy nose, but I'm weird like that.
Torque roll on control line means the plane turns inside the circle and is considered bad juju.

Btw whats wrong with just double sticking components in place? You'll never see it from Bakersfield.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Haven't seen where pointy noses affect torqe roll, that is more an aspect ratio /inadequate rudder area response. IMHO, NEEDS pointy nose, but I'm weird like that.
Torque roll on control line means the plane turns inside the circle and is considered bad juju.

Btw whats wrong with just double sticking components in place? You'll never see it from Bakersfield.
I'll try the slimmer nose on the next version. I like it better too if it won't cause any issues. I may enlarge the overall build just a tiny bit.