FT's Water Resistant Foam Board Painting

Keno

IMG_0026[6321].png

WRFB was taken from box with no pre-sanding or other treatment used. Paint used was Krylon ColorMaxx Sun Yellow and Krylon All Purpose Bonding Primer Flat White. I used "Duck Tape's" new reinforced clear packing tape (it is really sticky). Sprayed test panels. 24 hours performed tape test (left hand side of panels)
48 hours, same test (right hand side). Advice; Let it dry. Note, on the yellow panel it appears blistered this the result of spaying to heavy of coat. The yellow paint did not coat well and was "Splotchy", to counter this more paint was applied. Thus, the paint penetrated the paper and attacked the foam, it did not seem to affect the foam to paper bond. On the next panel I used Krylon's flat white primer. It has excellent coating properties (more pigment I assume). The 48 hour tape test was used again with the same results as the yellow panel, without the "Splotchy" problem. On a new project I used the primer and followed with a gloss paint coating, very pleased. You should seal your boards exposed edges as these paints are not foam safe. I noted, different types of tape can give different results, but if you let your paint dry enough the problem usually goes away. I have not done any testing on other paint brands, so you'll have to evaluated them for yourself.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for posting this test! I often have a problem waiting long enough before applying masking tape and the second color of paint, and it's neat to see the real world proof the extra day makes.

One other thing I've found helps is to first press the masking tape against my t-shirt or pants to reduce the stickiness before putting it onto the plane. That has reduced paint pull off for me quite a bit.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
One of the best ways I've found to spray the plane is to sand down the face of the board that you're painting with high grit sand paper (around 600-800) and prime. The primer will grab on to the paper a lot better when the excess wax is gone and the adhesion between the paint and primer is better than paint to foam. Still allow the paint to harden, but the time between spray and masking should be under two days.

Keno

One of the best ways I've found to spray the plane is to sand down the face of the board that you're painting with high grit sand paper (around 600-800) and prime. The primer will grab on to the paper a lot better when the excess wax is gone and the adhesion between the paint and primer is better than paint to foam. Still allow the paint to harden, but the time between spray and masking should be under two days.

Thanks for adding this I it is good advice. I did not sand as I wanted show that time was important. Thanks again

kilroy07

Legendary member
Thanks for the tip!

I can recommend Krylon FUSION All-in-one. I used it on my Legacy during FFOhio. Seemed to do really well covering and did not attack the foam. I did sand the surface lightly before I sprayed. I'll try letting it sit for a day before masking next time.
IMG_7176.JPG IMG_7187.JPG