Full Throttle when battery plugs in.

DanPT-17

I have a problem. When I plug in my battery the motor goes full power in reverse. I am able to bind my transmitter while its doing this, but none of the controls stop the motor including the throttle cut. Any ideas? Note: During a flight I over G the plane, bent a wing and crashed. After replacing the wing (no motor components touched/moved) I went to do a flight surface check. When I plug the battery in the motor goes full throttle instantly.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
From way back when, my Highschool electronics class experience would say you've got a crossed connection somewhere due to the crash. That's likely pretty true, the problem is tracking it down.

The more experienced pilots will chime in with their thoughts. You can help them out by giving them details of everything. Transmitter, receiver, motor, esc. Even the details of the crash. The more information they have, the better they will be able to track down your problem.

Or someone might just chime and say "Yup. happened to me. Here's your problem." That's kind of hopeful thinking, though. More info is probably needed. Up side? You've got lots of good people here, willing to help.

d8veh

Elite member
To get full throttle with a brushless motor, the microprocessor in the ESC has to open and close 6 mosfets in the ESC thousands of times, so not likely to be a connection problem. It can only be a problem with the logic or ESC programming. If it's a brushed motor, it couldbe anything.

Assuming a brushless motor, there are two things that come to mind. 1. It's changed its programming somehow, in which case you have to reset the various options in the ESC. Which ESC is it? 2. Your throttle signal is reversed on the transmitter or you have it set to helicopter mode or something like that. Which transmitter do you have?

Try connecting your battery with full throttle set on the transmitter. That's the most common way to enter the ESC's programming mode. It should give a clue to what's going on. Let us know what happens.

FDS

Elite member
Also take your prop off whilst you fix this problem and DO NOT put it back on until you have full control over the throttle again.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
From way back when, my Highschool electronics class experience would say you've got a crossed connection somewhere due to the crash. That's likely pretty true, the problem is tracking it down.

The more experienced pilots will chime in with their thoughts. You can help them out by giving them details of everything. Transmitter, receiver, motor, esc. Even the details of the crash. The more information they have, the better they will be able to track down your problem.

Or someone might just chime and say "Yup. happened to me. Here's your problem." That's kind of hopeful thinking, though. More info is probably needed. Up side? You've got lots of good people here, willing to help.
You can try disconnecting the ESC connection that powers the Rx from the Rx so that the ESC is only connected to the battery and the motor.

If the ESC still has standard programming the motor should not start or at least cut out after around 30 seconds. If it does not you may have damaged the ESC in some manner!

Something to try!

Have fun!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
the motor goes full power in reverse.
Are you saying the motor spins backwards?

Sounds like the ESC is damaged somehow. If the motor stops mid throttle & spins correctly at full throttle. It’s acting like a quad ESC. The ESC programming changed, possibly reset to factory. Look at your documentation & reprogram it. I agree with @FDS, take the prop off.