Fun Fighters

Snoggle

i started with 3s to be safe (ordered 2x 3s and 2x 4s packs nano-tech 45-90C 1300mah along with the plane). the youtube video i posted in this thread is of me flying it on 3S and you can see (and hear) how fast it is even on 3s... but on 4s its yet another ~15-20% faster! but its hard to tell the real speed of these planes just from the videos that can be found on youtube and elsewhere. you need to fly them yourself to actually see how fast they are! but be careful, these funfighters are highly addictive and once you catch that addiction you want more and more and more speed! :D

Klonas

Looks like some pretty cool planes. Though they seemed wabbly in the air and not very stable. Could you please tell us approximatly what wind speed it was that you were flying in?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
One question about these: the ESC that comes with it is a 20A one. David mentions that one of them draws 27A with the (5.5x4.75?) prop. Is the ESC likely to burn out? I guess that's 27A static, so less in the air, but seems to be pushing the relationship...

Snoggle

@lobstermash on 3S everything is about fine with the stock ESC but when you plan going 4S i would not rely on the stock esc. i switched mine for a 40A turnigy sentry instantly to be on the safe side. in the huge thread about these planes on rcgroups (> 290 pages) lots of owners report problems with the esc dying on 4s after a few flights or even on preflight checks, so better be safe than sorry, especially at the speeds these funfighters reach.

@klonas i can only report about the rarebear from the funfighter series, but that one is absolutely stable and not wobbly at all, unless you fly it in 20+ mph winds. but i fly it with a slightly larger pack (1300 mah nano-tech) so the weight is a bit higher, that might improve the flying stability even further. plus i did some modifications to improve the airflow like covering the servo cutouts in the wings, and the aileron and elevator hinge gaps. this does not only improve speed quite a lot but it also makes the flying characteristics more stable and the plane now floats extremely well. because of that it does take a bit more patience when landing in no-wind conditions because you have to bleed of speed by some slower speed turns first.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Thanks Snoggle. These planes are tempting, and I'm mighty tempted by the p47... The only thing missing from the equation is a decent ESC. Maybe the lower price of the older funfighters can justify buying a new ESC straight up.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Scratch that. Aus warehouse older funfighters have gone up in price. I'd rather buy and hot up the mini p40, as it's better looking and bigger

Snoggle

if you mean bigger according to wingspan, that should not be of concern because at the speeds these warbirds fly they all get very small quickly, no matter if you have like 50mm larger wingspan. you would hardly be able to tell the difference. concerning the looks, well thats up to your taste. concerning speed the rarebear could not be beaten so far.

Snoggle

if that mini p40 fuselage is as tough and robust as those of the funfighters (extra carbon spar in the wings, etc) then that might work, but the advantage of the funfighters is, they are built to fly fast, so not much to modify to go fast and you can rely on the fuselage and other parts to be able to handle the speed. i am not sure if a plane built to fly on 2s is up to that task, i bet you would surely have to improve the stiffness and do some extra strenghtening on the p40 first.

edit: also when looking at the pictures of the fuselage of the p40 you posted, it will be very hard to fit a 4S battery and the 35A speed controller in there without having to cut away huge amounts of foam... even on the rarebear which has an extremely large compartment compared to that p40 i had to cut away a little bit of foam to make 4S packs fit.

Last edited:

Banjofrog

This one is stunning: mini p40

800mm wing vs 600-650mm

The p40 with one of these on there: 2350kv motor, a 6x4 APC and a: 4s capable 35A speed controller might give it a run for its money...

The P40 you have shown us is no way in the same league as the Fun Fighters, I have in my hangar AT6, T-28, P40 and the Rare Bear Fun Fighters all fly very stable and fast. Remember you are in control of the throttle and start on a 3s and move up to a 4s with a new 40a esc say a Turnigy Plush which are not expensive even in Aussie Dollar. These little War Birds are worth every dollar and are ball tearers and leave me grinning all day and shaking from the adrenaline. Do get one you won't regret it.

Just a foot note others that have the Fun Fighters are getting speeds over 160k/hr without to much effort.

Shaun. :)

Last edited:

3DMad5

I Like SBach 342's
They look like pretty fun planes to me, the only problem I can see is choosing which one to get!

Snoggle

They look like pretty fun planes to me, the only problem I can see is choosing which one to get!

i guess that is the reason why many people just got not only one but several of them. in the ~300 pages thread over on rc groups there are many people that own at least 3 or more of the series...

earthsciteach

I'd start with the Corsair. Then, I'd get the Tempest or Spitfire. Then the P-51. So, that's my top 3 based on absolutely nothing but personal preference.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I like the Seafury more after getting to see one in person in Lakeland...

2011%252520Central%252520FL%252520Museums110.jpg

sfactor1

boo for censoring josh bixler! boo

thank you josh bixler for at least trying to talk about 27amps.......... did stonekap sell his soul to the king?

sfactor1

i think i'll let josh or chad explain.....did u not notice chad cutting off scott bixler and david in the funfighters review? josh scott ..."that was rude"