Fun Fighters

PaulT

Mentor
This kind of reminds me of a girl I used to date a hundred years ago.
She used to make a comment a week after a conversation took place and out of context.:eek:

By the way, and completely, off topic, sfactor1, what's your mothers name?:D:D:D

I'll attempt to put this into the right thread at least.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
This kind of reminds me of a girl I used to date a hundred years ago.
She used to make a comment a week after a conversation took place and out of context.:eek:

By the way, and completely, off topic, sfactor1, what's your mothers name?:D:D:D

I'll attempt to put this into the right thread at least.

This reminds me of a joke...

An old man was sitting on a bench at the mall. A young man walked up to the bench and sat down. He had spiked hair all different colors, green, red, orange, blue, and yellow. The old man just stared.

The young man said, "What's the matter old timer, never done anything wild in your life?"

The old man replied, "Got drunk once and had sex with a parrot. I was just wondering if you were my son."

<tbody>
</tbody>

Klonas

Does anyone have a F4U corsair funfighter? Im considering about buying one. Did anyone have any servo failures or esc overheating on 3cell? Does the prop break a lot, what do you use for replacements and is it hard to land without destroying it?

Snoggle

@klonas i can not speak for the F4U but for other models of that series.

the props don't break that often and especially on 3s without any modifications these funfighters can be landed almost on spot because the slow down very good once you take the throttle back. breaking of props depends on several factors, especially your skills in landing and of course on what surface do you land it. best surface of course would be a smooth and level grass field. the more bumps on the field the higher the chance to break a prop on a not so perfect landing. i have around 50 flights on my rarebear funfighter now and broke a total of 2 props, 1 of which were due to a failed launch on my 2nd flight, so that does not really count.

as for replacement props. anything in the 5.0 to 6.0 diameter range will fit for 3s use. stock props are 5.5x4.5 if you increase the diameter/pitch of the prop make sure to have a esc installed that can handle the amps. i switched out the stock esc instantly and replaced it with a 40a turnigy sentry just to be on the safe side. right now i fly my funfighter with 5.25x6.25 prop on 4s and it is really ballistic. >100 mph. but unless you are used to fast models i would advise you to start with the stock motor/prop combo on 3s. if you are not used to fast and small planes that gives enough thrill already.

Klonas

Well I'm buying a few HXT900s to change the stock servos if they act weird. Turnigy ESCs from 30 to 40amp are all on backorder.... I guess a 25Amp wouldn't be enough? Are there other good ESCs you would recommend? Did you add any carbon or something to reinforce the wing?

Last edited:

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
This reminds me of a joke...

An old man was sitting on a bench at the mall. A young man walked up to the bench and sat down. He had spiked hair all different colors, green, red, orange, blue, and yellow. The old man just stared.

The young man said, "What's the matter old timer, never done anything wild in your life?"

The old man replied, "Got drunk once and had sex with a parrot. I was just wondering if you were my son."

<tbody>
</tbody>

LOL!!!! Now back to topic: Is it hard to keep the plane in air with speed of over 100mph?!

Snoggle

@klonas 25a esc wouldn't be a great improvement over the stock esc. at least a 30amp, but if you plan to go faster in the future (and believe me, once this planes give you the need for speed, you want to go faster) then i would rather get a 40 amp esc right away so you have some room for improvement.

i did not add any extra carbon so far, but i covered my whole plane with self adhesive foil which added some extra stiffness, but the rarebear airframe is very tough out of the box and there are carbon spars built into the main wing already. i have no clue if there are some on the F4U though.

concerning flaps, do you mean cut out actual flaps into the wings or program the ailerons as flaperons or spoilerons?

@ananas if the plane is set up right, you have small rates on the control surfaces and sufficient amount of expo it is not very hard to keep the plane in the air even at >100 mph. but, these planes are very small, so they are out of sight very quick, which makes you fly them in rather small circles or in a U shape. low pass, straight vertical climb with 180° roll, straight down and then pull elevator close to the ground to level it for a low pass in the other direction and so forth and so forth.

it is also a good choice for many of the planes of this series (especially the rare bear which is white/gold stock) to add some color to improve the visibility and tracking of the plane!

btw, there is a thread with (at this moment) 336 pages and 5031 pots over at RCGroups, so everybody who is interested in buying a plane from this series should take a look there. Loads and loads of user feedback, tips for improvements, photos, etc. etc.

Jay Pope

Reinforcement

Well, the other day, it was pretty windy (35mph, with gusts of up to 60) and I decided to try out the Corsair Funfighter to see how much it could handle. It flew fine, plenty of power (on a turnigy 4s 1000mah pack and 30A ESC), but the stresses on the wings caused some cracks and stress marks at the root of the wings. On landing, one wing broke off. So I decided to reinforce it, make it so there couldn't possibly be a problem with wing flex in the future. I took am 8mm diameter carbon fiber rod, measured and cut it to fit the troughs of the wingtips, hollowed out a recess for it to fit in on each side, and glued it in place with Gorilla Glue. No more flex! I can do full power dives, hit full up elevator, and it will snap back the other direction so hard, its unbelievable! This really is a great flying little plane. I'll get some pics and try to post them later on.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Well, the other day, it was pretty windy (35mph, with gusts of up to 60) and I decided to try out the Corsair Funfighter to see how much it could handle. It flew fine, plenty of power (on a turnigy 4s 1000mah pack and 30A ESC), but the stresses on the wings caused some cracks and stress marks at the root of the wings. On landing, one wing broke off. So I decided to reinforce it, make it so there couldn't possibly be a problem with wing flex in the future. I took am 8mm diameter carbon fiber rod, measured and cut it to fit the troughs of the wingtips, hollowed out a recess for it to fit in on each side, and glued it in place with Gorilla Glue. No more flex! I can do full power dives, hit full up elevator, and it will snap back the other direction so hard, its unbelievable! This really is a great flying little plane. I'll get some pics and try to post them later on.

Cool! I experience wing flex as well in my Bixler, despite the carbon rod. Maybe I'll try adding more carbon someday.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Andre, you have to be really careful with the Bixler's carbon spar. If you're flexing it, be ready for the spar to break. A lot of people stick a smaller spar through the bigger one if they're going to do aerobatics. I haven't upgraded mine, but I'm very conscious of how fragile the stock one is. I only do aerobatics with it to show off to spectators, and I'm waiting for it to bite me in the butt as I'm pulling out of an inverted dive...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Andre, you have to be really careful with the Bixler's carbon spar. If you're flexing it, be ready for the spar to break. A lot of people stick a smaller spar through the bigger one if they're going to do aerobatics. I haven't upgraded mine, but I'm very conscious of how fragile the stock one is. I only do aerobatics with it to show off to spectators, and I'm waiting for it to bite me in the butt as I'm pulling out of an inverted dive...

Thanks, I am aware. When I was going to pull a loop with it, I had to let go of the elevator to keep the wings from bending too much. I'll see what I can do to strengthen it.

Klonas

That's cool. I have that funfighter too, haven't flown it yet because it's too darn cold and wet. Mine arrived with a crack in the wing so I reinforced it a bit with carbon, seems quite strong.

RcKaroriBoy

Does any one Know What Fun fighter i should get. The At6 Texan or the P40 Warhawk? and also what Backup ESC i should get if the Stock ESC Blows Up? From Hobbyking