Fun Fighters

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Good recommendation on the cowl. I noticed the motor mount on my Corsair was loose after a flight, but it could be from the typical landing you get out of the gull-wing. Either way, that one got plenty of epoxy as well! When the new planes start getting built, the motor mounts will all be re-done just to be safe.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm finishing up a big project, re-building a 1/4 scale J-3 Cub, and need a small project or two to keep me busy while waiting for Spring. Last summer I took my F4U Funfighter to Flite Fest and enjoyed hauling ass down the runway. Since I've got three more Funfighter fuselages sitting in the hangar I decided to finish at least one more of them to take to Flite Fest 2016.

First up is the Grob:

IMG_0537.JPG

Construction is fairly straight forward, although there are no instructions to know where the CoG should be... :mad: The control horns were epoxied in place along with the tail surfaces. I also had to squeeze some canopy glue under the entire front of the windshield since it was loose and could have gotten blown off during high-speed flight. A little weight is sitting on the edge while it cures. I'm using a 30A ESC capable of 4S, standard 9 gram servos, and a replacement Funfighter motor.

Once glue cures I can work out a colorful design. As I learned from the Corsair, knowing orientation is extremely important with this plane and the small size makes it easy to lose your orientation!

I may start working on the P-40 as well, since I've got an extra motor for it and may also have an ESC as well.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The Rare Bare is available for 60 bucks right now, USA East.

Tempting, but I couldn't justify yet ANOTHER Funfighter right now! The Grob should be done soon, and then I've got the P-40 and the Supermarine as well. But $60 is cheap for the Rare Bear and it's supposedly the fastest of the bunch.

MUST. NOT. BUY. MORE. FUNFIGHTERS!

MrClean

MUST. NOT. BUY. MORE. FUNFIGHTERS!

Ya, tell yourself that. I'm thinking the wife gets flowers and candy. I don't get steaks and , well you know, the next day. Maybe I get a funfighter for Vday.

Right after I go order those flowers tonight.

By the way, I like the Blue job too. Wish you could push the cockpit back like the racer.

Last edited: