Fun in the Sun with Clouds - FoamyDM FT-Simple Soarer

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
The very first plane I built from scratch was the FT simple Soarer. It was back in August 26th, 2016 base on the dates of the pics.

465.JPG 464.JPG 463.JPG
I had no IDEA what I was doing, but the directions were clear. I did my best to balance it (with play dough and rocks) and chucked it.
I was somewhat convinced. but not enough to put the motor in. and I didn't want to mess it up. This plane is 57.5" wingspan!
I wasn't about to ruin that great work... I turned to building a the tiny trainer so as to learn something.

The Setup:
B-pack motor(eMax 2822) motor
8x6 propeller
2200mAh 35C 3S Lipo pack
2-5g servos
30A Esc with 5V/2A BEC
I plugged the Rudder in the Aileron Slot to fly.

Fast forward nearly 2 years. and a LOT of building and some solid successful flights under my belt...

Now it was time. Yup Let start flying it .

maybe I should have waited for the wind to subside... like this day:

With that win, I took it again out to the local field, and had some fun easy long-flying fun and met Bill (see man in 2nd pic) the local glider guy, and caught my first thermals. (Thanks Bill for the education!)

for reference I'm 6ft tall.
20180610_130934.jpg
20180610_131611.jpg

After that, I felt I could take a moment to tape/color it up so I can tell up from down.
This was after my videographer went on summer break, I tried my hand at it... while flying.
"Look guys, one hand!"

Take Away:
It was easy to build even as a first build, inexpensive and it works great as a 2 ch or 3ch glider, and if you wanted to add ailerons, 4 would be good too.
This is a docile flyer that you can take to the field and fly for about an hour on 2 batteries for some relaxed searching for thermals.

I can't recommend it enough. This has been my go too flyer, I rarely bust a prop, and it sets down gentle so as not to sustain damage.

I would love to see your pictures, (share below)

-FoamyDM

Attachments

• 1shtTinyTrainer3.JPG
    1shtTinyTrainer3.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I tried FPV on this build and had a great deal of fun.
sadly on it's last flight, I had the FPV signal blinked out a bit then in ,and went dead. When it blinked in, the plane was flying erratic. And I got a general guide but was unable to recover. I might rebuild tonight. :)

It's too relaxing and fun a plane NOT to rebuild