FUNBAT - BloodyMicks

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I was thrilled when i watched your video.
I had to try myself and made up 2 from one sheet of 6 mm depron.
They have no carbon at all but are later reinforced with one circle of fiberglass tape where the wing is 2 layers.
The electronics are:
50 grams Bell motor combo http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__4713__TowerPro_BM2409_18T_25A_BEC_8x3_8_Prop_Combo.html
850 mAh 3 cell nanotech http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18203__Turnigy_nano_tech_850mAh_3S_45_90C_Lipo_Pack.html
2 *HXT900 servos http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=662

110629-10.JPG

110731-06.JPG

110803-03.JPG

110910-10.JPG

Both planes are flown 100+ times each and is always in the car ready for action.
Winds up to 14 m/s (31 miles/h ?)

111002-02.JPG

Next version will be for indoor with 24 gram engine http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4859 and 2 cell 370 mah battery http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11894__Turnigy_nano_tech_370mah_2S_25_40C_Lipo_Pack.html

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Nice build, pgerts... I'm getting the feeling that 40% of the people on the forum are Swedes?

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Nice build, pgerts... I'm getting the feeling that 40% of the people on the forum are Swedes?
Well - Sweden is just a few mouseklicks from HobbyKing and the "days are short" in the winter so there is plenty of time for building and reading forums.

It is indoor flying or winter slope combat ;-)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I have a fresh stack of FFF. I need to make another funbat! When I had mine, it was called a BluFunder, and I bought it at my first SEFF. It helped me learn to fly. I miss that plane.

PTRogers85

One 2 FLY
FB 1.jpg
FB 2.jpg

I LOVE my FunBat, Great flying Plane I'm using ;
BP Hobbies 2212-06 2200kv motor w/6x4 APC prop
Grayson hobbies 30amp ESC
Turnigy NanoTech 3s 1600mah 25-50C
3, 9g Servos
Orange RX 6ch
2mm carbon rod

This is real nice flying plane I didn't have to use any trim flew straight as a arrow first try...Ohh and Really Quick with this setup.

Last edited:

RC Dad

Great looking Funbats. Very helpful to see what you all have done with them. My son and I are trying our hand at building one of these. We have nothing but the foam. No receiver, no electronics and no idea what we are doing. But, so far, it's been a blast!

Any tips on how to cut the bevels where the wing and fuselage are to be bent? Have tried on some scrap pieces, but am not confident in the technique. We are using the the thin foam board found in the $1 store here locally. It is about 3/16 " thick so does not leave a whole lot of room for error in cutting the bevels. We are leaving the paper on both sides of the foam.

The eldest son is out pricing all of electronics today and hope to get an order in soon.

I think this is a great plane to get our feet wet scratch building foamies...

Don't want to hi-jack the thread - let me know if I should post the tip request in a new thread.

Thanks in advance!

PaulT

Mentor
Just a thought... I find that using a piece of wood cut at the angle you want and taping a blade to it works well.
Not only is the angle maintained but also your depth. Use a straight edge as a guide..

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Is the board sandable? If so, you could just cut off a strip of the paper an sand it down. Otherwise you'll have to cut diagonally. Use a metal ruler for this purpose.

Don't want to hi-jack the thread - let me know if I should post the tip request in a new thread.

This is the FunBat thread, isn't it? This is the place to post.

RC Dad

Just a thought... I find that using a piece of wood cut at the angle you want and taping a blade to it works well.
Not only is the angle maintained but also your depth. Use a straight edge as a guide..

Great idea. Will experiment with this. The depth of the cut in making the v-channel is what I am most worried about.

Otherwise, have thought about using a soldering iron or a Dremel tool to route out a channel. Both of which I don't own at this point so not as immediately practical...

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Otherwise, have thought about using a soldering iron or a Dremel tool to route out a channel. Both of which I don't own at this point so not as immediately practical...

You'll want to use a separate tip in that case. I've had three soldering irons and they don't work now because of cutting plastic with them.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Using heat - soldering iron - on depron is not precision! If the speed is not exactly even then the groove will be different size. The heat will melt outside the metal tip. The melted surface will be solid and hard to work.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Using heat - soldering iron - on depron is not precision! If the speed is not exactly even then the groove will be different size. The heat will melt outside the metal tip. The melted surface will be solid and hard to work.

And it smells terribly bad! I don´t recommend that to do for anyone after I tried it out once!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Patience young padwan- no need to cross post all over the place ;)

You can build it out of EPP, fan fold, Depron.
Do you live in the United States? If so it's hard to bea Dollar Tree foam board for this type of build.

But now I'm curious, anybody try the funbat out of coroplast?

Last edited: