Funbat!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
There are a couple of other threads on the Funbat, including the great review by Josh squared. However, I still thought it'd be fun to chuck my funbat build on here.

Using the same foamboard as per the p51 profile, I've built a Funbat exactly as the plan specifies. I've chucked a 2205 1400kv on it and my favourite movie poster. Other than that, it's waiting for some servos to be freed up (probably from the predator).

IMG058.jpg

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
OK, CoG conundrum... With a 1600mAh battery, it comes out at 462g and positioned at the nose gives the balance point at about 7cm (2.75"). My 1000mAh battery gets it down to 400g but the balance point is another 1.5cm back (exactly at the airfoil step)... The recommended CoG on the plan is 1.75" (4.5cm). What are people generally running the CoG at with their funbats?

I'm not really keen to do this, but I've got a tiny little 2205 (28g) on there at the moment and could free up a 2208 (~40g) or a 2210 (50g) if necessary...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Put the 2210 on it, but still needs weight in the nose. At least it's got enough grunt to cope with it though.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I had to add about 50g of nose weight to balance it at about 2.25" from the leading edge. Wish I could have built the nose a little longer, but oh well. The motor is more than strong enough to carry the extra weight.

Maidened today in strong wind 20-25kph and it climbed happily. Had to trim the elevator down to level it out. Flew pretty well considering the wind. Rolls like crazy. Really hard to tell the plane's orientation when it's about 60m away from you, but there's a simple solution for that. Exceptionally easy maiden. Plane glides like a dream too. Wish I had somebody to video it for me.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I have acually never checked th CoG but my seup is :
50 gram clock motor - speed controller close to the motor.
850 mAh 3S LiPo as far back in the body i can press it.
The speed is not exceptionally - slow against the wind when 14 m/s.

Next setup will be 25 gram motor and 2S 350 mAh battery - but the battery will be placed at the firewall.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
@pgerts, I'm surprised it's not really tail heavy! My next one will have an extended nose so I don't have to add weight.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
NOOOO! I dumb thumbs-ed my Funbat! Flew a couple of circuits, was really comfortable with the plane, so started doing a bit of inverted flight... Low inverted pass, 'I should pull up now', wrong way. Killed my pilot and have to rebuild my engine mount. All very fixable thankfully...

glydr

How many letters do we ge
We have to get a combat session going. I'll just fly circuits and wait for you to crash! ;)

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Bring it on! I've just finished repairing it. New, longer nose, negating the need for extra weights. My little pilot needed some surgery to recover from near-decapitation, but all in all, we're OK. I've also changed the 8x6 slowfly for a 7x6 APC.

ohDamn

Well thanks to Lobster for my little present. As soon as I have my bat ready it'll be combat time. Get those streamers ready!