Function of the main wing components and rear fins.

kareez

Hello. I made a Stearman with a 1300cm wingspan. It's ready to fly. But I have no flight experience. I also have no knowledge of the function of the main wing components and rear fins. Is there training on how to control the fins to get on the plane?
Thanks.

kareez

That's perfectly true. My country is in a boycott.:cry: In my country, the equipment needed to build and fly a model airplane is very expensive. It is not possible for me to provide these facilities.

Sheriff

Salut Kareez,
I am intrigued; where are you from?

Since you have NO flight exprience, you need to find someone who has flown and can maiden your aircraft.

If you CAN'T find that person, climb a few feet above the ground (like on a picnic table) and throw your completed model a few times without power, just to see how it glides and ajust the trims as much as possible BEFORE commiting to your maiden flight.

If trimmed correctly (and with the C.G. in the right place) it should glide with no control inputs. If not, ajust some more.

The first flight is often so much harder than the 3th or 4th would be, simply because the trims are usually totally off.
That's why the best way (when possible) is having an experienced pilot for the maiden, who than passes you the remote.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

kareez

Salut Kareez,
I am intrigued; where are you from?
Since you have NO flight exprience, you need to find someone who has flown and can maiden your aircraft.
Good luck! Keep us posted.
Thank you Sheriff. I'm from Iran. I don't have anyone around to help me with that. I will try to do this using a high level like table.
Sorry. My English is very bad :sick::sick:

Figure9

Elite member
Thank you Sheriff. I'm from Iran. I don't have anyone around to help me with that. I will try to do this using a high level like table.
Sorry. My English is very bad :sick::sick:

Welcome to the Forum Kareez. This forum is a good resource, good luck with your building & flying.

kareez

Thanks All. I made my project. All of whole body and wheels are handmade. Its wings are 1300 cm long and It weighs exactly 1430 grams with all components. I hope that can fly and control it. After the crisis of the Coronavirus ends, I will try to fly.

By regards.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Thanks All. I made my project. All of whole body and wheels are handmade. Its wings are 1300 cm long and It weighs exactly 1430 grams with all components. I hope that can fly and control it. After the crisis of the Coronavirus ends, I will try to fly.

By regards.
That looks a very nice and clean build you have there. do you have the CG correct with the battery installed?

Figure9

Elite member

By regards.

Well done! With a biplane I like to look down at the wings from above & imagine them as a single wing. From above, consider a point about 30 to 40% back from the leading edge of the forward wing, viewing the fore to aft chord of both top & staggered bottom wing, as a single wing. Lift with your finger tips under the upper wing tips at about that 30 to 40% chord of both wings viewed from above. The tail should lift first, or maybe both tail & main gear together. If not, move the battery forward a bit & try again. At some point the main gear should come off the surface with the nose slightly pointed down if your center of gravity is close enough to attempt a flight.

Last edited:

kareez

That looks a very nice and clean build you have there. do you have the CG correct with the battery installed?
Yes. By adjusting the battery position and pulling it toward the nose of the aircraft, I adjusted the balance to 9 cm above the upper wing edge. The CG point is shown in the guide for making the aircraft 9 cm above the upper wing edge.

Sheriff

...climb a few feet above the ground and throw your completed model a few times without power...

SRATCH THAT PLAN; your model is much bigger than I though. You won't be able to throw/chuck it hard/fast enough to make it glide.

Compared to models with about the same wingspan, your plane is a bit heavy:
FT Storch : 1000 grams
FT Guinea Pig : 1200 grams
FT Sea-Duck : 1300 grams
(200grams batterie included)

But the biplane configuration will help to slow it down, make it a bit easier to control.

Figure9

Elite member
SRATCH THAT PLAN; your model is much bigger than I though. You won't be able to throw/chuck it hard/fast enough to make it glide.

But the biplane configuration will help to slow it down, make it a bit easier to control.

Agree, tough airplane to start out on. I purchased a Beechcraft Staggerwing when I first started learning & broke it before I was even able to get it airborne. With your talent you can build a simple light weight foam monoplane trainer. All the best with your modeling adventure Kareez.

kareez

Thank you Sheriff(y). I took the size and plane map from this tutorial:

This model was the most similar example that I could have made with the facilities I had. The facilities that I have is very similar to the ones listed in the attached image. Can my model fly? :cry::cry:

Attachments

• Info.jpg
    Info.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 0

Figure9

Elite member
Thank you Sheriff(y). I took the size and plane map from this tutorial:

This model was the most similar example that I could have made with the facilities I had. The facilities that I have is very similar to the ones listed in the attached image. Can my model fly? :cry::cry:

I’m impressed with your build Kareez. I’m quite sure it will fly given what you’ve shared with the forum & I’m sure @Sheriff will agree. (You have talent.) My concern is, “Should you try to fly it with entry level skills?” That will be completely up to you when you have the opportunity to launch it. Maybe you will be able to find an experienced flyer to help you, that’s what helped me the most.