Fusion 360 for DTFB planes?

jakexie6

I currently have Fusion 360 installed and I like to say that I'm pretty proficient in modeling in it. I recently got the urge to start building some custom builds and I also have access to a laser cutter. I've been trying to make my own plans but Sketchup just isn't catching with me. Are there any people out there who use Fusion 360 to design DTFB planes?

jakexie6

I tried the sheet metal but trying to get it to work with airplane plans seemed pretty hard. Slicer I'll have to try

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I'm using Fusion for most of my 3D parts design. For foam, I just can't get away from Sketchup. The modeling is similar enough, I just can't get to plans lay out in Fusion as easily as I can in Sketchup. Because I learned Sketchup first, I have that de-evolved into it's simplest process.

I am very sure that Fusion is capable. So I am sure it will be worth your time and effort to get the process figured out. Once you do, share your secrets.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
This link is not exactly what you are looking for, but the point where he goes to the sheet metal environment and unfolds might be helpful.

jakexie6

This link is not exactly what you are looking for, but the point where he goes to the sheet metal environment and unfolds might be helpful.

I've seen the unfolding done before and the concept of it seems pretty simple. The issue I'm having is how to design the airplane in the sheet metal environment. Unfolding the plane should be simple once the 3d model is finished but the issue with the sheet metal environment is that there isn't an extrude command or anything. Just flanges. :(

I've seen the unfolding done before and the concept of it seems pretty simple. The issue I'm having is how to design the airplane in the sheet metal environment. Unfolding the plane should be simple once the 3d model is finished but the issue with the sheet metal environment is that there isn't an extrude command or anything. Just flanges. :(

Resurrecting and old thread here:

Fusion now has an extrude feature in the sheet metal workspace. It seems like it should be perfect for designing foam board planes. However, I can't see a way to create the "a", "b", and "c" type folds using this workspace.
Any one else have an luck/advice?

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
In Sketchup, I add the score cuts that make the score lines for folds after the plan is flattened. I use a 3/16” offset, and clean it up from there.

You should be able to do some thing similar in Fusion.

I’m also going to direct another forum member to this thread. I know he was tinkering with fusion for foam plane design.

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
1556242255649.png

So I am working on a hybrid build using a combo of foam and 3D printing.

I also found this to be pretty useful:
Also, he is going to be coming out with a video for unfolding planes, the sheet metal works, but not well. Keep an eye on this channel.

bracesport

Legendary member
I use ONSHAPE cloud CAD - I’m an ex solidworks user and converted to the cloud! What does a seat of fusion 360 run at?

Last edited:

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
@bracesport - free for a non commercial license. The nee UI is very similar to solid works as i understand, though the drawing technique is quite different based on sketches.

jakexie6

So I think I've come to what is at least MY personal conclusion about this. You can use other programs to do full models and all that and with enough time and effort, you could probably have Fusion 360 do the same thing. However, for my use of this, I'm just going to get the profiles of a plane, laser cut them, then somehow piece them together until I get a plane. I mean...scratch building is a wonderful skill and doing things this way would add a little bit of fun into the building process. If you have just a few pieces but no way to put them together, it'll be much more challenging and fun to try and glue them together into a final shape. In my personal experience, things usually turn out alright if it's done this way. Long story short, I'm going to be using Fusion 360 to convert a 3d model into basic 2d sketches which I'll cut out then put together somehow. It's a foam airplane, what's the worst that could happen?