Fusion 360 (free) Personal License changing Oct 1

JustPlaneChris

Hi fellow scratch builders! If any of y'all are using Fusion 360, you may want to give this a read:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...articles/Fusion-360-Free-License-Changes.html

If you just use Fusion 360 for creating STL files for 3D printing or other simple things it probably won't affect you. If you are using it to export STEP files as I am for unwrapping in Solidworks, then as of Oct 1 you're hosed. I know could use the export STL>Meshmixer>Inkscape method to end up with flat patterns, but Meshmixer is not my favorite tool.

I had been putting off really learning Solidworks, but now it looks like I'm going to need to re-create and finish my A-7 Corsair project in Solidworks, because I won't get it finished by the Oct 1 cutoff date for exporting. (n)

Flyingshark

Master member
Hi fellow scratch builders! If any of y'all are using Fusion 360, you may want to give this a read:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...articles/Fusion-360-Free-License-Changes.html

If you just use Fusion 360 for creating STL files for 3D printing or other simple things it probably won't affect you. If you are using it to export STEP files as I am for unwrapping in Solidworks, then as of Oct 1 you're hosed. I know could use the export STL>Meshmixer>Inkscape method to end up with flat patterns, but Meshmixer is not my favorite tool.

I had been putting off really learning Solidworks, but now it looks like I'm going to need to re-create and finish my A-7 Corsair project in Solidworks, because I won't get it finished by the Oct 1 cutoff date for exporting. (n)
That's disappointing. I've been slowly figuring out fusion from the tutorials over the past few months. Sad that the multi-page blueprints are going away. I guess I should move over to Solidworks now. Anybody know any good tutorials for learning how to use that?

JustPlaneChris

That's disappointing. I've been slowly figuring out fusion from the tutorials over the past few months. Sad that the multi-page blueprints are going away. I guess I should move over to Solidworks now. Anybody know any good tutorials for learning how to use that?
So far I've been able to find most of what I need just by googling. This YT channel seems pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/c/SolidworksTutorials/featured

chris398mx

Master member

Can you use solidworks for free?

Tench745

Master member
Not for free, but how does $40 per year sound? All you have to do is join the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) and you get free access to the Educational version of Solidworks. And you also get a cool airplane magazine to read. :)

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center

I highly recommend this option. The EAA used to be homebuilt aircraft focused organization, but they have expanded in the past decades to encompass the different forms of general aviation. Their magazine, Sport Aviation, is worth the yearly membership in my opinion. Solidworks sweetens the pot all the more. They also champion legislation to keep General Aviation open and safe for everyone. In that vein, they partnered with the AMA to fight against over-burdensome legislation of model aircraft. (AMA politics aside, the extra voice in the fight against regulating the hobby is helpful.)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Have you guys tried Onshape? It’s a parametric modeler, and my dad (a retired solid model CAD designer from General Dynamics/Martin Murrieta/Lockheed Martin/United Launch Alliance) found it very similar to the ProE CAD software he used to use in building rockets.

It’s free if you’re using it as a non-profit, “maker” type of platform. Not sure if it allows you to export to STEP like you want, but it might be something to look at?

chris398mx

Master member
Not for free, but how does $40 per year sound? All you have to do is join the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) and you get free access to the Educational version of Solidworks. And you also get a cool airplane magazine to read. :)

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center
This sounds like a great deal.......the only drawback is I don't know if my brain can handle trying to learn yet another software at my age!!!! :) So far i know enough to be dangerous in AutoCAD, Autodesk Inventor, Cura, and Simplify 3D. To add to that, i need to try to learn how to set up and use the TimeSave foam board cutter i bought from Edward Chew. i think this means Arduino , inkscape, and who knows what else. My brain is on overload. I have had the kit for more than 6 months, but haven't had the nerve to start putting it together because of all the electronics/software involved.

JustPlaneChris

I've heard about OnShape, but only recently found out about their free license. I may give it a look, to see if it's any less intimidating than Solidworks. (y)

As for brain overload, I get it! I'm not a spring chicken either (started flying RC at age 14 in 1980, you can do the math) and my job as a software developer doesn't really give my brain a rest either! :geek:

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Onshape is browser based. Not a bad thing, considering it's free, but something to be aware of.

JustPlaneChris

I just checked it out. I didn't realize it was by the Solidworks people! It's pretty much the same program ported to the web, so since I already have Solidworks installed locally (courtesy of the EAA) I'll just use that. I'm just not really looking forward to re-drawing the A-7 for the umpteenth time! Oh well, it's all part of the hobby. :)

chris398mx

Master member
I just checked it out. I didn't realize it was by the Solidworks people! It's pretty much the same program ported to the web, so since I already have Solidworks installed locally (courtesy of the EAA) I'll just use that. I'm just not really looking forward to re-drawing the A-7 for the umpteenth time! Oh well, it's all part of the hobby. :)
why do you have to redraw it?

JustPlaneChris

why do you have to redraw it?
Because it's not quite finished, and probably won't be by Oct 1. My plan was to finish it in F360, then export the STEP file over to Solidworks for unwrapping and making the flat patterns.

Unfortunately, there's no way to export a full editable copy of what I've already done in F360 to Solidworks. It's just basically a "dumb copy" of it.

chris398mx

Master member
Looks like they have changed their mind about STEP exports:

So, based on watching this video, it doesn't seem that the new license is going to be too restrictive for hobby use. Are you going to continue to use Fusion 360? I tried last fall to download an educational license for my daughter, but she was not in high school yet and they could not verify her enrollment so I couldn't get a license for her. Do you know how I can get the personal use license? It was confusing to me last time I tried.

JustPlaneChris

For now, yes I will keep using it, especially for 3D printing. Probably due to my inexperience with it, the STL files I generate out of Solidworks have a lot of edge and manifold errors that my slicer has to fix. I never see that with files from Fusion 360. But like I said, it's probably an ID10T user error. :)

To get the personal use license, start here: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/personal

They say "for one year" but I've renewed mine for a 2nd year already with no issues. https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...bbyist-enthusiast-license-for-Fusion-360.html