fusion 360 to inkscape for printing plans (paper copy not laser cutting!)

Test Fly RC

Elite member
Hi
Apologies if this is in the wrong place and if there's already a thread for this somewhere but I can't find it.
Have a sketch of a wing I've created in 360 (should be approx 300 mm for half the wing) that i'd like to print (paper copy not laser cutting) preferably using inkscape as its free!
Converted file to dxf ok,was then advised to convert this to an SVg file which I did using
Online DXF Converter
When I try to import /open this in inkscape its barely visible and has been scaled down(looks to be about 100mm ish) and printing a paper copy produces nothing.
What have I done wrong (apart from taking up IT late in life!)
Thanks for any help
What you can do is select your plans in Inkscape and then go down to the bottom left corner of inkscape then click on the a color box a few times (and if that doesn't work try out a different one) Then something should popup on the right side of the screen where you can edit what color the lines are and how big they are!

smiling albert

Reporting back
Have tried to upload another dxf file to inkscape,again a sketch of a wing ,it produces everything that has straight lines (to scale) but not the curvy bit at the wing tip ,have tried test flys idea and the various options you are presented with at the start eg read from file, gcode tools etc , but it still won't produce the pesky curve at the wing tip !!

tamuct01

Reporting back
Have tried to upload another dxf file to inkscape,again a sketch of a wing ,it produces everything that has straight lines (to scale) but not the curvy bit at the wing tip ,have tried test flys idea and the various options you are presented with at the start eg read from file, gcode tools etc , but it still won't produce the pesky curve at the wing tip !!

I was trying to get Fusion360 to Inkscape as well to get around the free edition's no PDF export. From what I've read, the export of splines (curves) to DXF is not compatible with Inkscape. I was able to create a drawing in Fusion360 and then print to a PDF to get the part that I needed.

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Reporting back
Use the shaper origin plugin. It's annoying and finicky to use, but it's the only way that works.

smiling albert

I was trying to get Fusion360 to Inkscape as well to get around the free edition's no PDF export. From what I've read, the export of splines (curves) to DXF is not compatible with Inkscape. I was able to create a drawing in Fusion360 and then print to a PDF to get the part that I needed.
Hi
Thanks for this
You said “then print to a PDF to get the part that I needed”
Being my usual stupid self here,not sure how you do that as I thought you can only only export dxf files From fusion 360 unless it’s something to do with Whitt’s shaper origin plug in?

Test Fly RC

Elite member
Try Importing the files to Inkskape rather than opening them with inkskape

smiling albert

Tried your method testfly and got a new pop up menu "SVG input" with options to change lots of new things!
It definitely doesn't work if you don't change any of them!

Test Fly RC

Elite member
Tried your method testfly and got a new pop up menu "SVG input" with options to change lots of new things!
It definitely doesn't work if you don't change any of them!
Go to file then then click import (then if you are using windows the file menu should pop-up) then click the file you want to import, then it might ask you some questions, but just click import or ok or something like that!

Hope this helps!

smiling albert

Hi
Have tried that thanks ,will only produce the straight bits.
I'm sure Whit's method does work but it is a faff.
I wonder if there's any other free package that would do it with less hassle as I just need a free/quick way to print off the dxf files of plans Ive created in fusion ?
I know Illustrator will do it easily but its not free

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Hi
Have tried that thanks ,will only produce the straight bits.
I'm sure Whit's method does work but it is a faff.
I wonder if there's any other free package that would do it with less hassle as I just need a free/quick way to print off the dxf files of plans Ive created in fusion ?
I know Illustrator will do it easily but its not free
You said you were a teacher? you might be able to get an autocad educational licence. It will work with dxfs.

smiling albert

Joined an Inkscape forum and got this suggestion which I will try tomorrow

I had success by using the Fusion add-in Save DXF for Laser. The dxf it creates splines that Inkscape can read.https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/Index?id=7634902334100976871&os=Win64&appLang=enIt requires the profiles in Fusion to be extruded a minimal amount so that a face can be selected.

And also have his one
Shaper Utilities Add-In for Fusion 360, is another option if you want to export SVG instead.
Which sounds like Whit’s wheeze,again will check tomorrow