Fusion Restoration

bracesport

Legendary member
@jonoashton - yes I will epoxy the horns into a slot - I remember you tape hinged the ailerons - I might add a physical hinge at least at the horn point to stabilise the hinging - I am a fan of micro cable ties as hinges! :D

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
so I de-bagged the ailerons this morning (second coat of epoxy) and I think for the first attempt they are sweet.

you can see there is a tad too much epoxy but they are light and stiff - I lost a bit of vacuum when the domestic sealer unit ejects the vacuum nozzle and then seals the end of the bag - next time I will seal the bag completely and pull the vacuum through a nozzle, it will certainly help with squishing out a bit more epoxy.

I will also wet sand the ailerons a bit more to see what effect that has.

I can not wait to make a wing (or two)! :)

View attachment 170633 View attachment 170634
That looks nice man, I like how you step outside your comfort zone. Learning new skills can be so rewarding

bracesport

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - yes, I am loving the foam, epoxy, and now the carbon fibre - fibreglass is much easier to work with, but the carbon fibre is way cooler - the CF I have is 0.8k (80g/sq m) - this particular weave does not go around corners easily, but it is very light! :D

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Started on my hinges with the aileron side done - Also did some sanding and filling of the epoxy voids and pin holes - most unusual for me I forgot to take some Picts in the excitement! :)
I guess you must be getting to mid winter there, is that why you get more building done this time of year

bracesport

Legendary member
With any luck I can fit the ailerons today - sanding and painting underway - my micro cable tie hinges are fitted and ready for joining to the wing.

I thought I would stick with silver on the light coloured fuse.

10D52DC3-7381-4BCD-86EF-F3E295F5148D.jpeg
View attachment
0F1827A7-9448-4C8A-8937-152F3F73BDAB.jpeg

bracesport

Legendary member
My plywood horns have their holes a tad to close to the edge and when enlarged might break under load - the obvious option was to refit the original plastic horns (which I did) - I will use servo offsets to give me some flaps for slowing down.

F100230E-BEA3-4D04-AF25-90B088B61A45.jpeg

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
I got all the pushrods installed today and did a preliminary test with the TX - I have been working on a new setup that gives me high, medium and low rates for the elevator and ailerons separately on SWA and SWD respectively - my flight modes are based on camber, reflex, and none on SWB, plus a landing mode which is flaps with elevator compensation on the throttle stick (reversed - up is flaps off) - I also have snap flaps on SWC and differential adjustable from zero to 50% on a rotary knob. :p

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I got all the pushrods installed today and did a preliminary test with the TX - I have been working on a new setup that gives me high, medium and low rates for the elevator and ailerons separately on SWA and SWD respectively - my flight modes are based on camber, reflex, and none on SWB, plus a landing mode which is flaps with elevator compensation on the throttle stick (reversed - up is flaps off) - I also have snap flaps on SWC and differential adjustable from zero to 50% on a rotary knob. :p
I'm not used familiar open TX stuff - what does SWA, SWD, SWB, and SWC stand for? Maybe it has nothing to do with open TX and is just something that I don't know. I prefer to blame it on open TX though. :)