Fusion Restoration

bracesport

Legendary member
Given the fibre tape shows through some of the repaired areas and is a bit 'murky' I decided to keep things simple with the colours - just added some blue/white stripes to the underside of the wing, and my son wanted to add some stickers!

I also put the NiMH batteries on for a test charge - once I can see they are working well I will finish the nose and possibly add a bit more blue to cover the 'murky' bits. :)

IMG_9372.JPG
IMG_9373.JPG
IMG_9374.JPG
IMG_9375.JPG
IMG_9376.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
Seems the circuit is working to charge the batteries, now showing 7v on the meter - however I am not getting any juice to the Rx with the charge plug removed - must be a dud wire somewhere - will have to dig out the plug assembly and review! :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
Seems the circuit is working to charge the batteries, now showing 7v on the meter - however I am not getting any juice to the Rx with the charge plug removed - must be a dud wire somewhere - will have to dig out the plug assembly and review! :)
You might have a dud battery that isn't taking a charge at all and the rx is was running off the charger.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - I charged, then measured the batteries once off the charger - if I plug the batteries directly into the Rx bypassing the charger plug the Rx works - with the charger plugged in the circuit is charging the batteries, but when the charger plug is removed the batteries should feed the Rx (but sadly it isn't) so there is breakdown in the circuit somewhere - probably a busted wire! :)

bracesport

Legendary member
I got some new 2.5mm DC plug/socket fittings - one is an open socket to understand how they work - bingo - you can see in the socket that when the plug is inserted it breaks the contact at the bottom of the socket - this is how the power from the battery is disconnected from the RX with the plug in for charging.

There must be dirt in the existing socket preventing power to the Rx with the plug removed - should be easy to solve now! 😀

C7C983C9-4C90-4A0A-BDD6-999BDB9F6318.jpeg
84A601A9-9E82-427D-A40D-294E9BBE98CB.jpeg
0D6990DE-CC12-47E4-B820-DAC4EA3049E7.jpeg

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
This morning I re-installed the charging plug and fitted the electronics and battery - added some small skewers to mount the antennas @90 deg - installed the nose weight to get the CG at the recommended 85mm (just over 35% - wing is approx 240cm at the root) - all the surfaces are functioning including the offset to provide flaps on the throttle stick - I just need to trim the servo centres and end points to be good to go!

I might add some pinstripes to cover the carbon reinforcement flats that are a bit dirty locking through the fibre tape.

The fusion has a lot of wing and a short tail moment! :)

IMG_9403.JPG
IMG_9404.JPG
IMG_9405.JPG
IMG_9406.JPG

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
This morning I re-installed the charging plug and fitted the electronics and battery - added some small skewers to mount the antennas @90 deg - installed the nose weight to get the CG at the recommended 85mm (just over 35% - wing is approx 240cm at the root) - all the surfaces are functioning including the offset to provide flaps on the throttle stick - I just need to trim the servo centres and end points to be good to go!

I might add some pinstripes to cover the carbon reinforcement flats that are a bit dirty locking through the fibre tape.

The fusion has a lot of wing and a short tail moment! :)

View attachment 172417 View attachment 172418 View attachment 172419 View attachment 172427
That guy looks like it should be ready for combat wars, super strong :D

bracesport

Legendary member
Finally a maiden!

I was motivated to get in the air today - It was blowing a stiff northerly and I thought why not try the tip of the Peninsular which is only 5 minutes drive from home - I have attempted some flights in this region but not from where I chose to fly today - I am not sure it is the perfect site as it was quite inconsistent in the lift (well from my nubes perspective), however, it is quite spectacular and I will go back!

I think I needed more weight so next time I will ballast it up a bit. :)

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 5.18.34 PM.png

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Loved that turn at about :45. It was perfect.

I think you are right about the ballast. I also think the thing will get even faster when you add it. Should be a kick!

Beautiful hill you have there. Didn't they film LOTR in New Zealand? It's almost surreal, the beauty. Thanks for sharing.

bracesport

Legendary member
@cranialrectosis - yes, a great turn is what brings you back for more - especially when you crack the downwind turns that skid when they turn! As is, it weighs 945g so another 300g will be good to try - the wing is 1.3m and has a big chord, however, it is quite short in the moment arm, so I also need to check the CG position against Jonos' one.

One part of the lord of the rings was shot is this very location down in the hollow on the left!

Last edited:

jonoashton

Cool !! looks like you had the best lift on the first flight. Its awesome to see the Fusion back in the air. It's a shame that I was away for the weekend or I would have loved to be there.