Fusion Restoration

bracesport

Legendary member
So when you think you should be focused on flying another build comes along! :D

My flying mentor Jono Ashton gave me a beaten up Fusion 1.2m V tail glider after flying together on the weekend - It is an EPP foam structure with heaps of foam strapping under some signwriters vinyl - these things are indestructible so Jono thought it would help me learn to fly!

The ailerons are bent and the embedded Rx is 35MgHz, but the servos are working and a bit of restoration will do wonders to this ship!

There are two of these Fusions flying in the video along with a Bee (wing) having fun!

IMG_8137.JPG
IMG_8138.JPG

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So when you think you should be focused on flying another build comes along! :D

My flying mentor Jono Ashton gave me a beaten up Fusion 1.2m V tail glider after flying together on the weekend - It is an EPS foam structure with heaps of foam strapping under some signwriters vinyl - these things are indestructible so Jono thought it would help me learn to fly!

The ailerons are bent and the embedded Rx is 35MgHz, but the servos are primo and a bit of restoration will do wonders to this ship!

There are two of these Fusions flying in the video along with a Bee (wing) having fun!

View attachment 151248 View attachment 151249
That looks like a solid beast. And what do you mean "learn to fly"? You have flown stuff. Take out your Spit and play with some power for awhile. At least its consistant, you control the velocity, not mother nature. That will get you used to the basics to get the jelly out man 👍

bracesport

Legendary member
It has started - off comes the covering! Under the coloured vinyl there is diagonal fibre tape which is dry and perishing, so off that will come too! There is an old school 35MgHz Rx under the hood and a cool system to charge or turn off the batteries with one removable plug! :D

IMG_8168.JPG
IMG_8169.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
Finally, it is all stripped and we can see what we are dealing with - it is actually in reasonable shape considering the hammering it has probably had with Jono playing combat - the nose is toast and both wingtips are smooshed from bashing and will probably need to be replaced - I will try and find some EPP block to make some surgical cut and tucks - the tail is coroplast (coreflute) and maybe-maybe I will cut them out and replace them too!

it is looking better already! :D

IMG_8170.JPG
IMG_8171.JPG
IMG_8172.JPG

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
Finally, it is all stripped and we can see what we are dealing with - it is actually in reasonable shape considering the hammering it has probably had with Jono playing combat - the nose is toast and both wingtips are smooshed from bashing and will probably need to be replaced - I will try and find some EPP block to make some surgical cut and tucks - the tail is coroplast (coreflute) and maybe-maybe I will cut them out and replace them too!

it is looking better already! :D

View attachment 151307 View attachment 151308 View attachment 151309
That actually looks like it is in good shape. Did you try to bind to it with the T16?

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - I did not try the gear with the T16 yet (good idea) - I will have to change the Rx though - yes, the glider is in reasonable shape so it will not be a big job in the grand scheme of things - the nose, while looks ok is pretty beat up so will certainly require surgery!

@Piotrsko - that is an interesting idea - I will try it!